• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Tornado" with the royal train.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiss Toni

En route from York to Leeds with new nameplates and the royal coat of arms for the occasion.

7601a.jpg

Canon 40D + 28-70mm F/2.8L

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

En route from York to Leeds with new nameplates and the royal coat of arms for the occasion.

7601a.jpg

Canon 40D + 28-70mm F/2.8L

What you see at the front is the symbol of the Prince of Wales (not the royal coat of arms) so I'm guessing it was transporting Prince Charles (the Welsh flags give a clue too!) - great photo! :)

Swiss Toni

What you see at the front is the symbol of the Prince of Wales (not the royal coat of arms) so I'm guessing it was transporting Prince Charles (the Welsh flags give a clue too!) - great photo! :)
You guessed correctly, it was Prince Charles on board and I'm guessing that you're Welsh. ;)

You guessed correctly, it was Prince Charles on board and I'm guessing that you're Welsh. ;)

No, I'm Salopian and very English. :? lol I just know my stuff when it comes to coat of arms, the royal family, etc.

Btw - what's going on with the track? How come the train's running on the "wrong side" of the line?

westcoaster

Established Member
woop woop :D

Just becuase it's a few miles down the road from me lol. Not to sure why wolverton would keep it there. can get pretty hairy and dangerous in parts of wolverton

its not to bad where railcare are, plus the set is kept indoors and i have been told under guard at all times.

i saw both of these yesterday while coming back from scotland, tornado was at the nrm getting ready and the royal train was south of the station under armed guard by the local force.

D306

Established Member
its not to bad where railcare are, plus the set is kept indoors and i have been told under guard at all times.

i saw both of these yesterday while coming back from scotland, tornado was at the nrm getting ready and the royal train was south of the station under armed guard by the local force.

Speaking of the royal train, I saw one of the royal skips just outside of the works line on Wednesday evening. Was on the mainline as the shunter was taking charge of another 442 set. I forgot about the royal naming ceremony and just assumed that that skip bought up the unit, but probably came by to pick up the stock as well

Swiss Toni

This was the other end of the royal train, apologies for the quality, it was a bit of a last minute grab shot.

The driver was a bit of a comedian, giving the royal wave as he went by. :D

7602a.jpg

rogACE

many thanks for all the great pics of yesterday,

i was too bloody busy chatting to reporters lol:roll::p

34067James

Speaking of the royal train, I saw one of the royal skips just outside of the works line on Wednesday evening. Was on the mainline as the shunter was taking charge of another 442 set. I forgot about the royal naming ceremony and just assumed that that skip bought up the unit, but probably came by to pick up the stock as well

I guess that would be 67005 as 67006 is down here in the south plus I think it was working A Southhampton - Ashford Class 395 drag:D I also noticed this on saturday when we saw both royal skips that 005 is cleaner then 006

Nice shot there of 005 :p I hear the driver & guard were doing the horn abit.

So did she get a flypast from a RAF Tonkia? (Tornado )

Last edited:

wensley

Established Member
I think there was at York but on the trip to Leeds a police helicopter was in very close attendance.

Police helicopter followed for the entire journey (see attatched). Flypast was by 1 Tornado jet and 2 others (Eurofighter Typhoons???)

J

Attachments

• P2190054.jpg
    P2190054.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 18

34067James

Police helicopter followed for the entire journey (see attatched). Flypast was by 1 Tornado jet and 2 others (Eurofighter Typhoons???)

J

Wonder why the Police Helicopter followed the train all the way they don't normal do that when the Royal train is out :???:

Did the other to hjets have delta wing shapes ? If so then yes they are typhoons.

James

Swiss Toni

Wonder why the Police Helicopter followed the train all the way they don't normal do that when the Royal train is out :???:
James
Maybe the sheer volume of people lineside all the way from York to Leeds made things a bit difficult to police in the normal manner, ie. security at just arrival and departure.

No offence to HRH but I think "Tornado" increased the security risk in terms of crowd numbers lineside.

Status
Not open for further replies.