• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tornado

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshW1992

Established Member
Not to put a dampner on things, but I found it highly annoying. In the PBO area alone, tresspass related incidents owing to this oversized Kettle cost the industry over 200 delay minutes, which at an average of £160 per minute has cost the industry £32,000!

So I really hope those of you with your photos, specifically around the Holme area, think it was worth it!

I heard the delay was due to electrical problems on the line, and the tresspassers are just idiots, who have nothing to do with the steam engine, apart from wanting a good shot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rogACE

Not to put a dampner on things, but I found it highly annoying. In the PBO area alone, tresspass related incidents owing to this oversized Kettle cost the industry over 200 delay minutes, which at an average of £160 per minute has cost the industry £32,000!

So I really hope those of you with your photos, specifically around the Holme area, think it was worth it!

well i was onboard, we were held after watering at PBO due to OHL feed problems we were told not due to trespass, nor due to our loco (no problems with big T)
the a1steam team and crews were VERY concerned about blatant trepass,
its not their fault if idiots do what they do is it?

as for oversize kettle, well NEXEC have very kindly donated about 60k so far to this kettle so hope it will continue...:lol:

how do you propse to deal with these trespass idiots i really dont know,
if someone was killed then no doubt network rail would ban main mainline steam,
where would that get everyone? no where... just a backward step into oblivion...
the camera trepass idiots (who, i might add never seem much to dip into their pockets when collecting for the a1steam trust with donation buckets) need to wise up what they will lose if they continue to be fools,
they will lose steam, or their lives' one day.

if the trust had 50p from everyone that took a piccy yesterday then that would be nice, wouldnt it?

JoshW1992

Established Member
well i was onboard, we were held after watering at PBO due to OHL feed problems we were told not due to trespass, nor due to our loco (no problems with big T)
the a1steam team and crews were VERY concerned about blatant trepass,
its not their fault if idiots do what they do is it?

as for oversize kettle, well NEXEC have very kindly donated about 60k so far to this kettle so hope it will continue...:lol:

how do you propse to deal with these trespass idiots i really dont know,
if someone was killed then no doubt network rail would ban main mainline steam,
where would that get everyone? no where... just a backward step into oblivion...
the camera trepass idiots (who, i might add never seem much to dip into their pockets when collecting for the a1steam trust with donation buckets) need to wise up what they will lose if they continue to be fools,
they will lose steam, or their lives' one day.

if the trust had 50p from everyone that took a piccy yesterday then that would be nice, wouldnt it?

Well said, if they one day ban mainline steam due to tresspassing, they had better drag diesel down too!

EE Type 3

Established Member
Well said, if they one day ban mainline steam due to tresspassing, they had better drag diesel down too!

Why drag diesel down with it? Steam creates a following from 'normals', who don't know any better. From what I've heard, the vast majority of trespass yesterday was the general public, not enthusiasts. Steam won't leave the mainline for a long time yet, but instead get moved off the busier lines and get relegated to secondary lines.

JoshW1992

Established Member
Why drag diesel down with it? Steam creates a following from 'normals', who don't know any better. From what I've heard, the vast majority of trespass yesterday was the general public, not enthusiasts. Steam won't leave the mainline for a long time yet, but instead get moved off the busier lines and get relegated to secondary lines.

Hmm yeah, that is likely to happen at some point, unless, Tornado becomes ceritified for 125mph :D

34067James

Nice shot craig I think the snow and Tornado go very well :razz: shame about the over head wires :D And as for the trespasses did they not get arrested.?

James

Last edited:

Established Member
I thought Hadley Woods middle platform was Out of Bounds... I will wait until next weekend hopefally - Tornado and Clan Line together :D

There were other issues affecting the PBO area, but the figures above are soley for delays caused owing to cautioning due to trespass.

I was startled at how "bad" some of these people are!

Phoenix

Established Member
Generally yes the trespass was bad and shouldn't happen and not being funny but this is a problem with steam enthusiasts as I have witnessed this numerous times only with steam as they tend to think it is still 1960 which it is not and the rules are very different.
Now the whole idea of dragging diesel down with steam is slightly silly isn't it and for the record when BR banned all non BR owned diesel traction yet steam was allowed to run we didn't complain so please don't start those opinions as the majority of this forum is diesel/electric based and we all prefer non of the anti steam diesel and electric piffle.
As for tornado herself I seldom comment on her but she is a fine machine and a defiantly worthwhile thing to photograph and when she is around my neck of the woods I will defiantly give her the time and place.
Now final thing 91101 I know this is defiantly unacceptable with the figures you have quoted etc but you do need to remember before getting disheartened by this sort of behavior that.

1) It was the first time she had been round those parts and her class haven't been there in many years.
2)The news hype was always going to attract many people.
3) A class 91 was reported to have failed which caused delays and of course the OHLE problems.

So please just see this as a one off and leave it to be as it won't happen again really will it.

The_Rail_WAy

After time, once she has done a few runs eventually the hype will die down and the trespass incidents will pretty much clear away.

I also don't think a fatality will lead to mainline steam tours being banned either. People are killed on the mainlines reguarly and on preservation lines - the authorities would not be as stupid as too stop harmless fun being ruined by the actions of people who put their own lives at risk. Damn there would be a revolt.

As I said earlier the rarity, essence and beauty of steam grabs the interest of people who are'nt even interested in railways, and this is what seperates a Tornado tour or any steam hauled tour from, eg/ a double headed 37 tour, or a class 40 tour etc.

Metroland

Established Member

Although I don't agree with tresspass in any shape or form, people must keep the right side of lineside fences at all times, 200 minutes isn't very much in the grand scheme of things, most serious problems are 1000s of minutes or more. The railways would have made up for it with extras travelling to/from stations.

More to the point, the Channel tunnel rail link and Tornado have done more for positive railway press then pretty much anything else in my life time, and this surely has to be welcomed.

As its been said, no diesel could bring out anywhere near the numbers Tornado can bring out, the only thing that gets anywhere near close are the Deltics.

Julian G

Established Member
More to the point, the Channel tunnel rail link and Tornado have done more for positive railway press then pretty much anything else in my life time, and this surely has to be welcomed.
So have the Eurostar service

As its been said, no diesel could bring out anywhere near the numbers Tornado can bring out, the only thing that gets anywhere near close are the Deltics.
I guess you are right about the Deltics but check here to see the amount of people saying farwell to the Deltic

jon0844

Veteran Member
I thought Hadley Woods middle platform was Out of Bounds... I will wait until next weekend hopefally - Tornado and Clan Line together :D

They just resurfaced it recently I think, and the bit that's closed off (southern section) seems to be having some work done on the platform edging. with the closed part, you'd only get a 3 or 4 car train to fit.

Even if the centre island is put back into service, I do wonder what trains will ever stop there.

fsmr

There was so much delay as a Peterborough bound GC 125 on the down line stopped and told some idiots on the track off.
and there are only two lines at this point , not that it makes a difference
Holme box is unmanned so by the time NWR arrive, they had gone and the delays were at least 6 trains each way through at a crawl plus Tornado at sub 50 mph behind it all

Last edited:

AlexS

Established Member
A bloke I know was the travelling fitter aboard the train and he reckoned it was so busy at the Cross it took ten minutes to get from the support coach immediately behind the loco to the cab.

Dwarfed the deltic farewell apparently.

moonrakerz

The "Old" and the "New" - but which title applies to which photo ?

2wf4sbb.jpg

Just outside Salisbury 1230 today.

Darandio

Established Member
So have the Eurostar service

I guess you are right about the Deltics but check here to see the amount of people saying farwell to the Deltic

Somehow I had never seen that video before although I thoroughly enjoyed it. At least up until the point of someone kneeling down and kissing the number!

CraigS

Established Member
A few shots of Tornado on the lunch trip yesterday:

60163 passes Vauxhall shortly after departure from Waterloo

60163 passes a shadowy Brookwood

60163 amongst the modern clutter at Clapham Junction

60163 approaching Wandsworth Road with the Waterloo-Battersea Loop ECS

Clicking on the above images will bring up larger versions. :)

And here's a video featuring 60163 briefly at Vauxhall, at Brookwood, at Clapham and also Wandsworth Road.

CCF23

How many people were at Kensington Olympia waiting for Tornado to reverse there and were disappointed by it reversing near Chelsea Bridge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.