• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Torquay Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVUpminster

Torquay station.JPG
Torquay South Elevation. existing.JPG

Torquay South Elevation.JPG
Relocation of stairs, installation of lifts, lift motor rooms and the extension of the existing Northern towers on Platforms 1 & 2. Alterations to relocate the female toilets on Platform 1 within Grade II listed building by raising height of towers'
Published on Torbay planning portal yesterday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I guess this will eradicate the OOU gents toilets on the upside too,it's quite vintage in there. At least theres some care in the rebuilding. Lots of others like Totnes look like complete carbuncles.

MarkyT

Established Member
I guess this will eradicate the OOU gents toilets on the upside too.
Certainly looks that way. I think it would be better if the toilets and other passenger facilties were all relocated to the up side, as that's where the vast majority of people are waiting for their trains.

BayPaul

Established Member
Looks nicely sympathetic to the original station, a very nice design.

RPI

Established Member
Certainly long overdue, though there step free access to both sides its a long way around from platform to platform via the roadbridge! Teignmouth needs the same too, though doubt it could be done with anything other than a horrible Totnes style bridge

dk1

Veteran Member
I usually stay at The Grand opposite & it will still be just as easy to walk over the Hennapyn road bridge to get to the up side platform.

RPI

Established Member
I usually stay at The Grand opposite & it will still be just as easy to walk over the Hennapyn road bridge to get to the up side platform.
Yes but not everyone is staying there

greatvoyager

Established Member

DaveHarries

Established Member
I don't mind the idea of making things accessible and I am glad they are keeping the existing buildings mostly intact. But, just as a passing thought, do you really need accessible stairs when you have lifts in place? I would have thought that, in terms of access provision, lifts alone would suffice for accessibility requirements especially considering that Torquay station can be accessed from either side of the line.

Dave

REVUpminster

I don't mind the idea of making things accessible and I am glad they are keeping the existing buildings mostly intact. But, just as a passing thought, do you really need accessible stairs when you have lifts in place? I would have thought that, in terms of access provision, lifts alone would suffice for accessibility requirements especially considering that Torquay station can be accessed from either side of the line.

Dave
The stairs are only being moved to allow space for the lift machinery. I don't think customers would be happy if the stairs were removed completely.
Dashing my hopes I spoke to a member of staff, relief worker, who thinks the work is to replace drains in the car park

Revilo

Although off-topic, it’s worth noting that Network Rail are also seeking to amend the proposed new footbridge at Dawlish station (ref 22/00523/NPA). From the documents on line, the footbridge won’t be covered and uses less expensive (poorer quality?) materials.

The details are here: https://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/plan...details/?Type=Application&Refval=22/00523/NPA

The scheme at Torquay seems much more sensitive than that at Dawlish.

fgwrich

Established Member
Although off-topic, it’s worth noting that Network Rail are also seeking to amend the proposed new footbridge at Dawlish station (ref 22/00523/NPA). From the documents on line, the footbridge won’t be covered and uses less expensive (poorer quality?) materials.

The details are here: https://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/plan...details/?Type=Application&Refval=22/00523/NPA

The scheme at Torquay seems much more sensitive than that at Dawlish.
It was always intended to be an open air structure, though the proposed renders do look slightly better than the somewhat questionable 1970s styled effort they originally were putting forward.

Sporty60

Thank you Cowley.
Seen today at Torquay Station the car park closed and fenced off, hopefully meaning a start of works soon.
Passing by yesterday it looked as if some new drainage channelling plus resurfacing is taking place.

REVUpminster

Carpark has reopened. It was drainage and resurfacing. The car parking outside the station building now needs doing.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Certainly long overdue, though there step free access to both sides its a long way around from platform to platform via the roadbridge! Teignmouth needs the same too, though doubt it could be done with anything other than a horrible Totnes style bridge
A simple ramp from the Exeter bound platform to link the station with Shute Hill would be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.