• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Total chaos across the country today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Add to Northern and TPE not operating west of Huddersfield, and no North West/South TPE at all. Looks like its all they are doing is a shuttle Hudds - York :|

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My sister is trying to get to Crewe. No trains from Euston so had to go to Reading on FGW and then got on a Voyager, which just left Oxford and will be terminating short at Birmingham.

Respite

My sister is trying to get to Crewe. No trains from Euston so had to go to Reading on FGW and then got on a Voyager, which just left Oxford and will be terminating short at Birmingham.

Well there is that other post about crewe stations roof so that may have something to do with that.

Oh & it looks like one of ours has derailed at welshpool (158 then).Don't know why yet but I'm guessing a tree.

Train derailment between Shrewsbury and Welshpool

Time Reported: 14:13
Route Affected: Birmingham New Street - Shrewsbury - Welshpool - Machynlleth - Aberystwyth
TOC/s Affected: Arriva Trains Wales
Description: Train services are being disrupted between Shrewsbury and Welshpool due to a train derailment.

There is no reported injuries to any customers or traincrew

Replacement road transport will be in operation between Shrewsbury and Welshpool.

There is currently no estimate for normal train service to resume
Further Information: Further information for Train derailment between Shrewsbury and Welshpool

Guinness

Established Member
13:45 – Overhead wire problems at Macclesfield. Services will be diverted around the area.

Tree on the Line. The Bus on the way home had to dodge about 3 trees along the way and was 45 mins late.

Shame what a bit of Breeze can do.

1D53

Established Member
TPE have given up as well - running Hudders - York only by the looks.

Complete job stopped on GNER south of Newcastle too. Glad I'm not going out!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Train Mgr told her that the station roof had blown off too. No idea how she's going to get back to Crewe - car is parked in the station there - who wants to bet the overzealous private parking nazis will be on to her car?

lev441

Thameslink gave up around 2ish today.. It was ridiculous.. I was stuck waiting around in hendon for an hour and a half with no information or anything. Was such a joke!!!!

FCC Emergency Announcement
Last Update: 18/01/2007 17:20:29
Nature of Incident: SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS

First Capital Connect services are badly disrupted due to the severe weather conditions today.

It is unlikely that we will be able to operate any trains for the majority of this evening on the GN route.

We are working as hard as possible with Network Rail to open the main line and we may be able to operate something later this evening.

If you can delay your journey on the GN route, pelase do. Your FCC tickets are valid on LUL tubes and trains.

On the TL route, there are 2 trains operating per hour:

Bedford - Brighton
Departing Bedford at xx25 and xx57

Brighton - Bedford
Departing Brighton at xx07 xx37

Luton to Sutton: full service

The Snap

Established Member
My Mum was due on a Euston to Piccadilly train this affy, but it was cancelled. She's now sat in Gatwick Airport waiting for a 20.05 flight home!

Craig

Established Member
ECML looks like it might be open again. A 67 dragging an empty mk4 set has just passed heading into Newcastle followed by a pair of Voyagers. They're the first trains to pass here since I got in from work 2 hours ago.

Hopefully things will get back to normal tomorrow/over the weekend. I'm meant to be heading to Manchester (for the ELR) on Saturday and Birmingham (with work) on Monday...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My Mum was due on a Euston to Piccadilly train this affy, but it was cancelled. She's now sat in Gatwick Airport waiting for a 20.05 flight home!

She should've got FGW to Reading and XC from there. My sister did that and the Voyager was near empty (tho she was in FC)

Daniel

Established Member
Its a shame that the wind is causing so much havoc, expecially after Bransons "Weather (fog) don't affect us trains!" ploy....

Nick W

Established Member
GEML was in chaos.

My train in the evening went slow to check out a tree reported hanging on the ohle. They then had to stop trains to clear it.

Also managed to get 11 miles class 47 haulage to stowemarket. Would have gone to norwich but didn't want to be stuck there.

Tom C

Capital Connect was in serious trouble with lines down at Cricklewood, tree between Tooting and Haydons Road and a tree down in the Redhill area (not sure it it was Quarry or the slows) which essentially ment there was no service for a good 2-3 hours. We had a unit sitting at Morden South for nearly 3 hours after something blocked the line towards St Helier then the signals went wrong at Streatham. When trains did start getting through they were running between 60 and 90 minutes late with some trains running from Blackfriars to Brighton fast just to make the time up!

Southern had 40-60 minute delays in West Croydon to London Bridge trains and at least one of the London Bridge circulars via Wimbledon was cancelled.

Not a good day :(

compsci

Everything worked for me this morning. There was a power cut at King's Cross, making the station rather spooky and closing the Underground, but luckily I use the Thameslink and so braved the traffic on Euston Road as usual. Those going elsewhere were directed to Euston.

This evening was rather less enjoyable. I finally got in to Cambridge at 10:24pm, having departed City Thameslink at 7:30pm and King's Cross at 8:30pm. I would usually leave at least an hour earlier. It all went horribly wrong when the wires came down on the Down lines at New Barnet. The very dubious solution was to reverse on to the Up line, then run wrong road all the way to Potters Bar. Reversing took 15 minutes per train, and there were at least 3 ahead in the queue. It was ok from there, apart from some extended dwell times. Many people then had to get where they were going (mostly on the West Anglia line) by taxi. Luckily I live 5 minutes from Cambridge Station.

lev441

Capital Connect was in serious trouble with lines down at Cricklewood, tree between Tooting and Haydons Road and a tree down in the Redhill area (not sure it it was Quarry or the slows) which essentially ment there was no service for a good 2-3 hours. We had a unit sitting at Morden South for nearly 3 hours after something blocked the line towards St Helier then the signals went wrong at Streatham. When trains did start getting through they were running between 60 and 90 minutes late with some trains running from Blackfriars to Brighton fast just to make the time up!

Southern had 40-60 minute delays in West Croydon to London Bridge trains and at least one of the London Bridge circulars via Wimbledon was cancelled.

Not a good day :(

your telling me.. i was stuck in hendon for an hour and three quarters with no information available in that time.. I know you work for FCC but it was a real joke about how no information was given to the passengers even though i saw 7 or 8 members of staff at the station.. the trains would come up onto the boards.. and just disappear.. however i got talking to a very nice Revenue protection person.. had a nice chat! We both agreed that having no information available was a joke considering trains should have been running hendon-bedford...

Tom C

your telling me.. i was stuck in hendon for an hour and three quarters with no information available in that time.. I know you work for FCC but it was a real joke about how no information was given to the passengers even though i saw 7 or 8 members of staff at the station.. the trains would come up onto the boards.. and just disappear.. however i got talking to a very nice Revenue protection person.. had a nice chat! We both agreed that having no information available was a joke considering trains should have been running hendon-bedford...

Not always know for my tact but today was so bad that I am genuinely sorry about your experience. The fact is the information WE were getting was absolutely appauling and it is something that needs to be sorted. We were getting details of alterations to trains running 4 hours prior to the message and it doesn't just infuriate the passengers it really enrages us. During times of disruption staff are often used to help passengers with service information and possible ways around. Not only did we recieve appauling information on our own services we were getting no information whatsoever on other companies train services which were hit just as badly so even when we could offer other routes we were sending people onto lines which were just as bad.

We were helped in London with the vast bus network and I am led to believe (and I still don't know for sure!!!) that buses were running between Luton and Bedford but the Underground was in bad shape which just confounded a bad situation.

It is something that needs to be sorted and some sort of system needs to be set up so that staff on the ground get accurate information and not dribs and drabs of rubbish!!

The LICC system (departure screens) is very, very old and needs to be replaced. Currently we have a train such as Luton to Sutton to St Albans, the first train is 2V00 to Sutton and it becomes 2V01 at Sutton to St Albans, what happens is whilst the train is running as
2V00 the screens will only react to THAT train, 2V01 is still running on time according to the system as 2V01 has no relation to 2V00 despite it being formed off 2V00. Now if 2V00 is running 20 minutes late then 2V01 will be a 20 minute late start however the system doesn't know this so by the time the train is expected at say Tulse Hill 2V00 has still not reached Sutton so the system has no record of 2V01 starting so it gets to 3 minutes after 2V01's scheduled arrival and it simply clears off the screen. Confused yet............

Respite

I totally understand what You are saying regards information there Tom C,same at this end.

We(ATW) actually didnt do too bad today,quite a few delays & some of those caused by network rails safety max 50mph imposed speed limit.North of salop was a problem when Crewe lost its roof also 158832 hit a tree just west of shrewsbury on the aberystwth line. Actually it hit the tree at 50 mph (blanket speeds work!) & derailed but not too badly,it arrived back at Salop depot around 10pm (I believe under its own power,I was busy emptying Salop yard of 175's from caped Manchesters at the time) Towards the end of tonights service there were some late runners (125 minutes for one Hollyhead) & we had to cancel a couple due to trains or traincrew scattered around the system in the wrong place.

Hopefully they will have sorted Crewe out tomorrow & then we can get stock back where it should be.Quite a few units will be out though due to damage (noted tonight were a 175 with a smashed windscreen,158 with extensive tree shaped damage to front & 158832 has lost a bit of its front valance after derailing on the tree,although is back in service now)

Bighat

I had to drive from London to Hull yesterday (well, someone had too!). The M18 was closed between the A1M and M62, so I diverted up the A1M to pick up the M62 direct. Having passed THREE articulated trucks on their sides on a two mile stretch west of Doncaster, I was travelling at the advisory speed limit of 40 mph when an articulated cutainsider truck/trailer rig passed me doing about 60 mph.

Just as his trailer wheels were along side my car, they lifted by about SIX feet, and the truck careened along on its offside wheels only (like some stunt driver-I referred to him as 'something like stunt driver'), only to topple over away from me and crash down onto the low metal central barrier, which it slid along, rapidly disintegrating the offside of the cab and trailer and spewing debris behind it in its wake.

Had this fool (1) observed the advisory speed limit, and (2) pinned his curtains of his EMPTY trailer back so tha the cross wind could pass THROUGH his trailer, this accident would never have happened.

After reaching Hull (safely), I decided to return to London via the Humber Bridge (that WAS scary!), down the A15, onto the M180, back onto the A15 to Lincoln, then onto the A46 and rejoin the A1 further south, then via the A14 and M11. I had expected a relative quiet journey. NO CHANCE.

Between Hull and Ilford I encountered 2 light vans, four 17 ton rigid trucks, eight 38 ton articulated trucks, the remains of two ball-hitch trailers 15 trees and an estate car wrecked on, or adjacent to, the route I travelled.

Bad weather does NOT normally bother me, rain, ice, snow, fog can all be SEEN, but you can't see wind!

The majority of these accidents could have been avoided had vehicles been travelling at a more appropriate speed. Coming home on the M180, I had just passed a road side advising of 'cross winds' (triangular sign with a windsock). An articulated truck came up behind me (in lane 1-nearside of three) and flashed me several times for travelling too-slowly! Ar$ehole!

I am happy to drive anywhere, anytime. It all the other lunatics on the road (some classing themself as 'professional' drivers) that frighten ther cr@p out of me!

lev441

Not always know for my tact but today was so bad that I am genuinely sorry about your experience. The fact is the information WE were getting was absolutely appauling and it is something that needs to be sorted. We were getting details of alterations to trains running 4 hours prior to the message and it doesn't just infuriate the passengers it really enrages us. During times of disruption staff are often used to help passengers with service information and possible ways around. Not only did we recieve appauling information on our own services we were getting no information whatsoever on other companies train services which were hit just as badly so even when we could offer other routes we were sending people onto lines which were just as bad.

We were helped in London with the vast bus network and I am led to believe (and I still don't know for sure!!!) that buses were running between Luton and Bedford but the Underground was in bad shape which just confounded a bad situation.

It is something that needs to be sorted and some sort of system needs to be set up so that staff on the ground get accurate information and not dribs and drabs of rubbish!!

The LICC system (departure screens) is very, very old and needs to be replaced. Currently we have a train such as Luton to Sutton to St Albans, the first train is 2V00 to Sutton and it becomes 2V01 at Sutton to St Albans, what happens is whilst the train is running as
2V00 the screens will only react to THAT train, 2V01 is still running on time according to the system as 2V01 has no relation to 2V00 despite it being formed off 2V00. Now if 2V00 is running 20 minutes late then 2V01 will be a 20 minute late start however the system doesn't know this so by the time the train is expected at say Tulse Hill 2V00 has still not reached Sutton so the system has no record of 2V01 starting so it gets to 3 minutes after 2V01's scheduled arrival and it simply clears off the screen. Confused yet............

thanks alot, I wasn't blaming you (drivers or customer information people) but rather people in network rail who i would have thought controlled all this sort of thing? I am considering writing a letter into FCC.. it probably won't achieve anything, I would just like to know what their view on the situation is..

reaguarding the LICC system, who is responsable for replacing it, is it network rail? It was really annoying how the trains would appear, be delayed for a little bit, and then just disappear (When asking staff at the booking office, they said those departure screens were the only information that had!!!) I had lost all hope by then! Also, when trains were chucking people out at hendon, where did they go? could they not turn them around at the cricklewood sidings?

Were you stranded anywhere yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.