• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Total Northern Line failure 04/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
Seems rather serious. Problems with the signalling system apparently. I'm assuming the backup system either wasn't functional or is also affected, if they even have a backup system.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kev1974

On the official twitter account they keep posting things like "we expect to have services at 10:30" and then 10:30 comes and goes, so they must think it is something solvable rather than knocked out for days.

My favourite tweet so far - "Who prorogued the Northern Line?"

kev1974

Looks like they have some of it running now, no Charing Cross branch, but it's gradually coming back up.

kev1974

As far as I've seen on twitter, it looks like It is a power failure in the northern line 'control centre'.

That's fairly bad disaster planning and testing if so; power failure is one of the easiest aspects to mitigate against ...

Probably find there's a generator but nobody fuelled it up, or they put all the servers on the generator-backed power but forgot to put some crucial network switch or router on it ...

ijmad

Established Member
I'm hearing that a battery inverter (part of the backup power system) exploded in the plant room when the main power failed and backup power tried to kick in during yesterday's power cut.

Daniel

Established Member
I'm hearing that a battery inverter (part of the backup power system) exploded in the plant room when the main power failed and backup power tried to kick in during yesterday's power cut.

Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.