• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toton - where to view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southwest

I'll have a free afternoon to discover the delights of Toton this Thursday. I've never been there and was wondering if someone can give me directions for the best place to see and photograph what's about.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
I'll have a free afternoon to discover the delights of Toton this Thursday. I've never been there and was wondering if someone can give me directions for the best place to see and photograph what's about.

As a native of this area... (and grandparents who live around the corner from here)

I'm not sure you can get that close to the depot, but if you head to the town of Toton itself, you can get some nice hilltop views over the depot. If you're wanting to photograph from there you might want to bring a camera with a good zoom lens!

I'd recommend parking on or near the bus-turning roundabout (AFAIK no buses go there any more) at the top of Banks Road/Epsom Road. You'll need to access this from the Tesco end of Banks Road - Epsom Rd is a no-thoroughfare.

Whilst the immediate area is at the top of a hill, you can take a wander along footpaths down to Long Eaton, which takes you across the railway on a bridge. I don't think there are particularly good views of the depot from the bridge, but you might be able to time it right for some movements along the line.

Walk from Banks Rd to Long Eaton Asda.

Google Maps also seems to suggest there are some footpaths going along the western side of the site, although I'm unable to vouch for how much you are likely to see from there. If you're feeling energetic you might fancy taking a circular walk via the Erewash Canal towpath. On the northern end of the walk you'll pass the vehicular entrance to the depot, as well as a couple of pubs in Sandiacre/Stabbo! You'll see almost nothing going down Bessell Lane though - it's mostly full of scrap merchants.

bangor-toad

Hi there,
Often when I was travelling by car in that area I'd use the A52. That's the main dual carriageway from Derby to Nottingham.

There always seemed to be a few people on the main road looking down into the depot. There isn't a footpath there (just a grass verge) and so it's not a great, or particularly safe, walk but many photo's must have been taken from that spot.

Actually even whilst driving you could catch quite a good glimpse of the stored locos.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hi there,
Often when I was travelling by car in that area I'd use the A52. That's the main dual carriageway from Derby to Nottingham.

There always seemed to be a few people on the main road looking down into the depot. There isn't a footpath there (just a grass verge) and so it's not a great, or particularly safe, walk but many photo's must have been taken from that spot.

Actually even whilst driving you could catch quite a good glimpse of the stored locos.

Cheers,
Mr Toad

Could I ask: do they still use the original diesel depot - built c 1964 - or has that all been swept away?

And what is stored there today? ISTR in 1990 or so there were lines of Cl 20s, and maybe Cl 25s. I thinks that was when i was last there.

alex17595

Could I ask: do they still use the original diesel depot - built c 1964 - or has that all been swept away?

And what is stored there today? ISTR in 1990 or so there were lines of Cl 20s, and maybe Cl 25s. I thinks that was when i was last there.

Its basically a 60 graveyard with bunch of other stuff (08/58 ect) around.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Toton has two main delights. The training compound is the first think you will see if you follow the first routing advice:

A mix of 60s, couple of 58s and some shunters.

Then the class 60 death row:

(This is a winter shot, there is a lot more vegetation at present)

If you are going for photos, take a long lens (I use a 300mm). Frustratingly a lot of the in-use locos in the shed are largely obstructed by buildings and other engines.

If you are going for numbers, take some binoculars, but if you need any numbers (the row of 60s for example), let me know and I can send you a list of what is where.

Pigeon

It's a long time since I've been there but I remember there is a B-road which crosses the railway to the north of the depot. Immediately to the east of the bridge there is a minor road/track leading south parallel to the railway, which leads up onto a path along the top of the bank overlooking the depot from the east. You get a panoramic view but you do need a very long lens to get anything in detail (or a telescope just to read numbers) and things behind tend to be hidden by things in front. Looking at a current map it looks like it's still the same and the B-road is the B5010.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I'm particularly after photos, especially the line of redundant 60's.

Well subject to shunting movements I'd say you should be able to get good shots of about 30 class 60s. You should be able to get decent shots of the first ten or so locos on the dead line before the fencing and perspective get in the way.

Bevan Price

Established Member
This is a selection of photos from the path on the bank, taken in September 2012 -- expect similar levels of vegetation now. As you can see, there are liable to be obstructions to getting unhindered views of some of the locos. Also expect another 3 years worth of dirt & rust on the stored locos.

http://www.bevanprice.me.uk/Toton_loco graveyard.html

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Yes the original diesel depot is still very much in use although much of the original Toton yards have now been taken over by nature! There used to be a wagon repair depot very close to the TMD but I'm not sure whether its still open.

railnerd

Hi.
I went to the A52 bridge once and the hilltop once and hated them both.
Personally i prefer the railway cottages at the old Trent PSB and Long Eaton footbridges. With RTT you can flit between the two. Altho the Long Eaton town lines are seldom used.
I was on the footbridge once and two trains passed at the same time so i missed one!
Of course all this info is useless if its the depot you wanna see!

Southwest

Well, I went today and had a great time thank to all who gave me advice.

I started at Toton Bank which seemed particularly popular today. It turned out that 66123 had returned from France and arrived in a five loco convoy. I got a bit of an iffy photo as it was the middle engine of the five and way in the distance. I took quite a few general view type shots (got my line up of redundant 60's!) and then went to the bridge over the main road.

All in all, a thoroughly nice hour was spent there and again, thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.