• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Totton

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffM

ELR codes refer to a set of tracks (or a right-of-way between a pair of places); a timetable line code refers to a single track (or may be a pair if not bi-di or reversible).

So while BML2 indicates the route via Southampton, it means nothing to the signaller as he wants to know which *line* to route onto. Line codes here include FL and SL - I think also US for the reversible.

Geoff M.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
http://www.railforums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=117&d=1156533616

shows that the junction is set for the northern "goods loop" as I would call it, leading to the Fawley Branch. However why is the two-light signal on the post not illuminated and the ground signal before the LC? Do they relate to the southernmost loop or are they a left-over as there used to be sidings on the Up line side or north side of the Up line? Or was it something to do with the long-gone Eling branch? Please do excuse my ignorance!

EDIT: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8727&page=3 shows that the GPL at the LC is in fact on the UP line, which fits in with the signage at Totton suggesting that the Up platform is a reversible line, with a Limit of Shunt sign at the platform-end signal E778...so the LC-located GPL must be for reversing trains wrong-road towards the Goods Loops/Fawley Branch or back in the Down direction.

GeoffM

The loop is probably permissive, such that the first train in will get a yellow (as here) but a second train (while the 1st is still in the loop) will get the white lights.

The GPL at the LC is indeed for the other line.

Geoff M.

Oracle

Established Member
Geoff, makes sense to me as there could be a Totton reverser in one of the loops and then a Fawley or Marchwood freight comes along! There seems to be no red lights, and I assume it illuminates to white when required. It does not have a seperate number so I again assume that it works with/instead of the colour light?

Tomnick

Established Member
Geoff, makes sense to me as there could be a Totton reverser in one of the loops and then a Fawley or Marchwood freight comes along! There seems to be no red lights, and I assume it illuminates to white when required. It does not have a seperate number so I again assume that it works with/instead of the colour light?
Indeed, I suppose you could say that it's effectively an authority to pass the main red aspect at danger - I'm not too keen on that analogy myself though. You'd see the two white lights, in addition to the red main aspect. It's normally totally extinguished though.

In the example you mention though, the Marchwood freight would most likely be routed into the unoccupied loop - so a yellow or green for him ;).

Brian EWS

I am down to Marchwood on 6B45/6V38 next Tuesday to Friday so is there any signals you need pictures of "from the sharp end" to help you along.

Oracle

Established Member
Brian, any photos of the main disc please outbound would be most welcome, and also please of the Down platform end signal if that"GPL" illuminates!

Thanks once again for all that you have done so far!

Brian EWS

Brian, any photos of the main disc please outbound would be most welcome, and also please of the Down platform end signal if that"GPL" illuminates!

Thanks once again for all that you have done so far!

No problem lets hope the weathers decent.

Sorry but which Down platform GPL do you mean?

Brian EWS

The position light on this signal will only illuminate if you are running round a train on the "Marchwood Main" or the loop. I will always receive a single yellow with one of the junction indicators, depends which road the Romsey stopper is sit on.

paul1609

Established Member
Im pretty sure that this is a standard arrangement.
At Barnham on the up line there is the same signal to call on the Portsmouth Section of Portsmouth / Bognor to London Victoria Trains into the platform for coupling up.
The train from Portsmouth gets the normal cautions for a Red and the train slows almost to a halt, as it approaches the signal it gets 2 whites and proceeds into the already occupied platform stopping just short of the Bognor portion. The doors open people get on/off. The doors close on both sections and the trains couple.

Oracle

Established Member
Thanks guys!

My son and I witnessed a similar exercise at Salisbury main Down platform with 2 SWT DMUs combining. This is also the case at Southampton which would be in the Up direction as they uncouple at Soton. There must be a system at Central to enable this but have never thought of it before!

Tomnick

Established Member
It is most definitely a 'standard' arrangement. It's the modern equivalent of a 'calling on' arm, as you'd find under a semaphore signal working into a section where permissive working was permitted.

Oracle

Established Member
There were four signalling engineers working at the causeway gantry just now...14.30. There were two guys on the gantry, one directly behind the signal head. I wonder what they were up to?

Brian EWS

Here are the signal pictures you requested. Stopped my light engine on the way into Marchwood for that pic. Took a pic of the gantry signals as well at Totton that take you down the branch.
Also did you know there was a ground disc in Eastleigh Yard like this one?

The S&T might have been out as I noticed when I left Totton there was no unit for the 12:01? departure to Romsey. Past it in the platform at Soton. Maybe there was there a problem on the down on the causeway?

Attachments

• 66040 Marchwood.jpg
    66040 Marchwood.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Totton #1.jpg
    Totton #1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 34
  • Totton #2.jpg
    Totton #2.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Eastleigh East Yard.jpg
    Eastleigh East Yard.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 31

Tomnick

Established Member
Thanks for those photos Brian - we shall soon have a photo of every signal on the Southern Region ;). That last one at Eastleigh - I assume it's not a 'repeater', but one of the more common ones that can be passed at danger for a move into the headshunt. Who works it though? Is it worked from the shunt frame in the yard?

Oracle

Established Member
Brilliant photos Brian! Interesting that there is another ground shunt south of Marchwood! Also, you have now photo'd both loops in use at Totton!

I am goimng to keep pressing RAIL to get their fingers out and report on the branch for an article and if they don't I'll have to write it myself. It pays to be a journo at times, but it doesn't pay if ytou see what I mean...pennies usually for a lot of work!

Oracle

Established Member
Roger Smith wrote on another forum about yesterday's amazing workings at Totton:

A broken rail on the up line between Redbridge and Millbrook this morning caused disruption and also led to some interesting track being used before the mainline reopened again at 11.55. Up VXC trains ran wrong line between Totton and Redbridge then onto Soton Central via the unelectrified Down goods line, trains off the Salisbury line crossed over before the junction and also ran up the down goods line. Electrics terminated at Totton and ran back to Brockenhurst Ecs with a connection onwards from Totton provided by the Totton - Romsey shuttle from the other platform, then same route at VXC. Down trains including electrics ran as normal but ended up out of place.

I assume that the VXC went via the goods loop all the way through to just before Central?

GeoffM

I assume that the VXC went via the goods loop all the way through to just before Central?

It depends where the broken rail was exactly. There is a set of crossovers just before Millbrook on the Up - this is where the 2 lines become 4. Otherwise, yes, there's a set of crossovers at the west end of Central.

Geoff M.

Status
Not open for further replies.