• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Touching in/out on barriers (outside London) using a Flexi Season on an ITSO card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

So I'm seeing occasional posts here which refer to a failure to touch in/out on barriers, generally in London using either Oyster or an ITSO card like "The Key". I gather the problem here is that this means the journey can't be registered properly.

Since returning to the office I've started using a Flexi Season ticket loaded onto an LNWR branded ITSO card to travel between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. The barriers at either end are frequently open and so I don't necessarily tap the card. I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem because the journey is already fixed when you buy the ticket, and I activate the ticket on my phone before I set off (thereby reducing the number of tickets available to activate). It's therefore been "paid for" regardless if the card is tapped.

Do we agree that this shouldn't be a problem, or should I be tapping even if the barriers are open (would it even register?). Is there a scenario we can imagine where someone might check the card, see that it hasn't been tapped in (or out) and object, and would they have any grounds to object?

I realise this is different to a London pay-as-you-go type scenario, but interested in people's thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The LNR website clearly says "activate your flexi season by tapping a ticket barrier or on the app" so there appears to be no need to do both.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I realise this is different to a London pay-as-you-go type scenario, but interested in people's thoughts?
As you noted, the key thing with a Flexi season is that it is activated when you use it. As it gives unlimited travel on that day the touch in/out is not vital. Having said that, it’s not a bad habit to get into.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As you noted, the key thing with a Flexi season is that it is activated when you use it. As it gives unlimited travel on that day the touch in/out is not vital. Having said that, it’s not a bad habit to get into.
But some sort of validation of a “flexi” before travel if you don’t touch in must be essential, or you would be in trouble if/when checked onboard?

Thanks all...

Just to clarify, the day's ticket is "activated" (loaded onto the card) using my phone before I leave for the station - you load the app, select the option to activate a ticket, and then hold the card on the NFC sensor on the phone.

Noted that tapping on the barrier (even if open) certainly wouldn't hurt and may help with delay repay etc. - I think I'll start doing that... after the strikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.