• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE £1 trip problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I bought a ticket to/from Glasgow from Liverpool for travel today. My train was 0812 from Liverpool, giving me exactly 5 hours in Glasgow before my 1629 train back.

Due to overhead line problems we had to terminate in Carlisle, by this point 30 mins down. There was no replacement coach service and it wouldn't have been really time effective to continue my journey north.

I am now on an Avanti service heading back south, probably as far as Wigan. Am I likely to get charged from there back to Liverpool if I explain the situation, given it will be a Northern service?

TPE customer service were less than helpful, telling me I can claim delay repay. Hardly worth it. What I'd like to know is, how likely do you think TPE giving me a replacement ticket for another day is? There's no more £1 tickets left, and whilst I appreciate the problems today are not of their doing, I haven't reached Glasgow and today has now been pointless. Also, I had to pay £4.70 to get into Liverpool.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Someone should be along soon who can give chapter and verse, but as a practical solution, I'd suggest
- ask the Northern traincrew nicely at Wigan if you can get on their train for free. Maybe even have your money/plastic in hand in case they insist that you pay - and it will show willing and that you are hoping for (but not demanding) a free ride. Obviously, if they won't take you for free, pay with a smile.
- Once you're home, email TPE grumbling (nicely) and explaining how much you were looking forward to your day out in Glasgow and whether they can replace your ticket. It may be successful, but otherwise given that the fare you paid was negligible I don't think that there's any practical way they can recompense you.

Assuming that you £4.70 to get into Liverpool is from your quoted location of Maghull, might you save yourself a little time by getting off at Preston to get the Ormskirk train and then the M'rail to Maghull?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you abandoned your journey you're entitled to a full refund which would include the ticket into Liverpool (assuming that was on the train) by the way, as it is two tickets being used to make one journey.

That doesn't solve the "loss of opportunity" issue though.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I have come back via Avanti to Preston, following ticket acceptance. I chanced my arm on the 1226 Preston-Ormskirk train where I'm pleased to say the conductor was more than accommodating to the situation, so no fare had to be paid. I will email Northern as she was great.

I can deal with my day being ruined as these things happen. I just would like a goodwill gesture on TPE's part so I can do my day out another day. Unfortunately I can't do it again for £2.

I am going again next week to Glasgow but with my partner. Today was about riding around the city on the bus and subway. I won't get to do that with my partner as she wants to do the tourist stuff.

EDIT: A customer service manager from TPE has called me back and all he's offered me is £5 in a rail voucher, despite me being a total of £6.70 down. Unimpressed with their "matter of fact" customer service.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You are absolutely entitled to the full £6.70 back, to the method(s) of payment used, as you abandoned your journey, which was completed using more than one ticket.

The complicated thing is that if you bought from two different companies (particularly as one is the notoriously-insular Merseryrail) this is going to prove very difficult to achieve.

robbeech

Established Member
£5 is two and a half times your ticket value for the tickets where TPE were the retailer.
If your £4.70 ticket joined up properly to the others (and was for a train) then you should look to getting a refund for that separately from the retailer where you purchased it. Of course it will be frightfully tedious and difficult because ‘the railway’ but you should at least try.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes you are entitled to the full £6.70 back (but not any more than this) however if TPE was not the retailer of the ticket used to get to Liverpool then:
(a) TPE have already offered you more than they are due; and
(b) it may be difficult to persuade the other retailer to refund you

My advice would be to purchase all tickets for the journey in one transaction. If you did did this, then TPE still owe you £1.70.

Mathieu

I bought a ticket to/from Glasgow from Liverpool for travel today. My train was 0812 from Liverpool, giving me exactly 5 hours in Glasgow before my 1629 train back.

Due to overhead line problems we had to terminate in Carlisle, by this point 30 mins down. There was no replacement coach service and it wouldn't have been really time effective to continue my journey north.

I am now on an Avanti service heading back south, probably as far as Wigan. Am I likely to get charged from there back to Liverpool if I explain the situation, given it will be a Northern service?

TPE customer service were less than helpful, telling me I can claim delay repay. Hardly worth it. What I'd like to know is, how likely do you think TPE giving me a replacement ticket for another day is? There's no more £1 tickets left, and whilst I appreciate the problems today are not of their doing, I haven't reached Glasgow and today has now been pointless. Also, I had to pay £4.70 to get into Liverpool.
Can’t you continue your trip another day under Section 28.3 of the NRCoT?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Can’t you continue your trip another day under Section 28.3 of the NRCoT?
One for the OP to answer, but how practical would it be to turn a day trip from Liverpool to Glasgow into a two-day trip overnighting on the way out at Carlisle?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It depends on what the trip to Glasgow was for, but if I was just out for the ride I think I would have enjoyed a relaxed fish and chips at the Fryery restaurant on Scotch St in Carlisle and then headed back on TPE to Liverpool. ;)
A £2 round trip through the fells is an absolute bargain, however it turns out.
I wouldn't penalise TPE for their offer turning sour (for reasons outside their control, for once).
If the train had been terminated because of something like the lack of train crew (a more typical TPE issue), I might have taken a different view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.