TPE 1B52 - 2327 Manchester Airport to Sheffield

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by kevconnor, 15 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

Looking at RTT tonight I have noticed the following TPE service

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y62567/2015/04/15/advanced

I have to admit I have never heard of a TPE service being routed in this manner before, given the possible lack of route knowledge between HUD - SHF for TPE drivers and as it is pathed as a class 158 would I be right in thinking this is likely to be operated by Northern? I use to get this service when I was a student in sheffield and It used then a class 185 and went via the hope valley line so is this one an anomaly?

Last edited: 15 Apr 2015
  2. 185143

185143 Established Member

Definitely a TPE service and you are right, this is an anomaly (I believe the return working comes back the sane way? Not sure on that though!)

Would be quite a nice tour if it wasn't for the darkness issue!

3. leedslad82

leedslad82 Member

They do this route frequently for route knowledge so they have a diversionary route if hope valley is shut

4. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

5. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

TPE alright - 170303 for the interested.

6. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Happens every night as far as I know. As said, it's a route knowledge retention service primarily

7. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

Pathing as a 158 has little to do with what is actually diagrammed. It is how it is timed and any class which meets the criteria of 158 timings can be diagrammed to work it. This has been explained on the Forum many times.

8. 55z

55z Member

As it is as already been said to retain route knowledge they have done diversion this way on a Sunday all day. It can also depend whether or not the route between Huddersfield & Stalybridge is open over night as normally once every 4 weeks this route is closed. Incidently the 0038 Manchester Airport to York is normally routed via Rochdale, Brighouse & Calder Valley running non stop from Piccadilly to Leeds but can run via Huddersfield (non stop) if necessary.

9. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's just a timing load.

The open data used by sites such as OTT and RTT don't show allocations.

In some cases, multiple timing loads are used, in which case only one is shown.

In some cases this indicates what type of train is likely to be allocated to the service, but not always.

To give two examples, all GC services to/from Sunderland appear to be "pathed" as "High Speed Train (HST125)" (only some are booked to be HST) and all Chiltern services between London & Birmingham & beyond appear to be "pathed" as Pathed as "Class 158 (Express Sprinter) DMU" (none are booked to be Class 158, and some are loco hauled)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Here's a few more. And this won't be the last :D But I don't mind saying it again, after all not everyone will have read the old threads, and a bit of copying and pasting never did anyone any harm ;):D

10. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

On occasions, Timing Loads for Unit classes may never have been published for some routes, especially for such a circuitous route as this train takes. This means timings which "fit all" have to be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.