• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 185 Unveiled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
They could have published a bigger picture :roll:. But I do agree, the 185s do look better than the 158s (I've seen a bigger picture in Rail)

Jordy

Guinness

Established Member
There was a mock up at York NRM ages ago. Went inside. Lovely cab. Got the leaflet pretty much explaining what was in that Press Release.

AJP

Unfortunatley I missed it at York, no doubt we will be sick of 185's about after a year :lol:

Jordy

Established Member
Yeah I missed the mock up at York aswell, I know it was there during railfest, buf i didn't realise it would be in the great hall :roll:

Jordy

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
AJP said:
They look better than 158's :D . (thats not hard though)

:o Can't agree being formally known as the158man :P

I will say they ain't bad looking compared to some of the new junk we see.... look pretty damn comfy too..

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
There was a mock up at York NRM ages ago. Went inside. Lovely cab. Got the leaflet pretty much explaining what was in that Press Release.
Yeah. They were also giving away those free CDs with First screensavers for your computer.

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:
Chaz said:
Yeah. They were also giving away those free CDs with First screensavers for your computer.

So First increases fare to pay for CDs with First Screensavers?

Management of First. You can't beat them!

Julian G

Established Member
Coxster said:
Chaz said:
in the tune of Jingle Bells ;)

metrocammel

They are just another piece of "plastic" to add to the long list of boring, unsuitable trains for our sad network.
Another clanger has been dropped clearly with the design, mainly being the lack of corridor connection, like comeon, they only go 5mph faster than 158's, so im sure a corridor connection (however aesphetically unpleasing it is) would have been practicle. From the 1880's (!?) to the 1980's there were proper lhcs 7+ coach as standard. But now, 2 & 3 coach DMU's with no corridor connections. Britain is going Backwards. It's Not "The Return of the Train", more like "Return of the Dark Ages!!!"

Coxster

Established Member
metrocammel said:
They are just another piece of "plastic" to add to the long list of boring, unsuitable trains for our sad network.
Another clanger has been dropped clearly with the design, mainly being the lack of corridor connection, like comeon, they only go 5mph faster than 158's, so im sure a corridor connection (however aesphetically unpleasing it is) would have been practicle. From the 1880's (!?) to the 1980's there were proper lhcs 7+ coach as standard. But now, 2 & 3 coach DMU's with no corridor connections. Britain is going Backwards. It's Not "The Return of the Train", more like "Return of the Dark Ages!!!"
Yeah. Surely the service is more important that a stylish new design? Isn't that the point in railways to get people from A to B?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hmm, well I couldn't see the picture of them there...Seen a picture of the mock-up at York, that looked good.

I daresay the FC seats won't be comfy (or the SC ones for that matter!) on them as the 158s though!

bunnahabhain

Established Member
metrocammel said:

Corridor trains didnt really come into full force until gone 1910, and even then it was only on principle routes, British Railways were building Non-Corridor Mk1's into the late 1950's.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It's always been common to have none corridor trains on suburban services, and it was only in the 70s when these types of trains started to have internal corridor connections, but even today few have them between units, the 455s and 150/2s being the only examples, but the latter is more than purely a suburban unit, being used on a wide variety of services, even if it is not the suited to them all. Outer suburban units though and those used for medium distance services have for some time all had internal corridor connections, although those between units are still not that common. Express and long distance units and hauled stock has nearly always had corridor connections throughout the whole train, with only a few units not having end corridor connections, these either being long enough to rarely if ever be coupled in normal service (such as the original trans-pennine units, and of cource things like HSTs, Eurostars and Pendolinos, the the former 2 are classed as units in the traditional sence), or have inter-unit corridor connections at one end only, which would normally be in the middle of a coupled pair of units. This has a number of uses, mainly allowing the guard to walk right through the trains for revenue protection or ticket sales or allowing trolley services to go along the length of the train or passengers to walk to fixed buffets. With modern stock though between unit gangways are rare on all types of unit, with the only examples being on the SR Mk1 replacement stock, and since a lot of their work is outer suburban in nature they least require them. No DMU from the 170 onwards though has had Gangways between units, nor have the 350s which see as much is not more Express work as Outer Suburban. This causes problems for revenue protection and onboard services, often requiring crews, often compleate with trolley, to move between units at stations, increasing dwell times, or leaves half of the train without trolley or buffet faciulities for the entire journey, or even without seeing a ticket inspector (great for fare dodgers), or requires two crews, one for each unit, which is costly and can be unreliable (often one half will not have catering staff due to a shortage), or it discourages TOCs from doubling up units, either causing overcrowing on busy services (including at weekends when units often run doubled up due to lower frequencies). I think this will be the case of FTPX, since I'm sure I have read that they don't have enough units to run any doubled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.