• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 185 working 5K25/5H90

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Howdy.
Spotted at Crewe on Thursday19 October 2017 was a TPE Class 185 DMU working 5K25 1940 Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe, then 5H90 2038 return to Man Picc both routed via Stockport.
Quite a rare occurrence I believe!

Does anyone have an idea what this is in connection with?
Maybe a future route learner in connection with the arrival of 68s for TPE, maintenance or such as Longsight depot will have at least 3 loco hauled sets stabled per night.

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks Andy

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
It is being used for route learning of drivers in connection with the forthcoming commencement of driver training on class 68 locomotives.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
It is being used for route learning of drivers in connection with the forthcoming commencement of driver training on class 68 locomotives.

Yes I did wonder if that was what the ECS run was for as TPE drivers need to get on with training and route learning as the 68s should be starting with MK3s in December.
Thanks for the reply.

driver9000

Established Member
It was a route pass out for TPE Driver managers ahead of the Driver route learning to Crewe to get the loco hauled rake to and from Crewe LNWR.

As for the introduction into service of the mk3 rakes in December....I wouldn't hold your breath at the moment. It looks less and less likely as time wears on.

BMIFlyer

It was a route pass out for TPE Driver managers ahead of the Driver route learning to Crewe to get the loco hauled rake to and from Crewe LNWR.

As for the introduction into service of the mk3 rakes in December....I wouldn't hold your breath at the moment. It looks less and less likely as time wears on.

Yes I did wonder if that was what the ECS run was for as TPE drivers need to get on with training and route learning as the 68s should be starting with MK3s in December.
Thanks for the reply.

Training on the MK3's won't be happening yet, as the 2 rakes are still at Laira.

Current estimate for top and tailed Mk3 stock being used at TPE is January for driver training (handling) of class 68s. No plans to carry any passengers on these trains as of yet, but it will happen eventually - most likely from February onwards - TBC.

This should enable a second refurbishment line to be opened for the 185 fleet so that 2 units can be done at the same time as opposed to one. This way all the 185s could in theory be finished internally when the first Mk5 set is delivered and enters service in May - this is TBC as well.

In the mean time 68019 and 021 should depart the U.K. imminently for a trip to Czechia to be used for Mk5 testing.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Thanks driver9000 & BMIFlyer for your replies.

Time will move swiftly on and before we know it there will be 68s working Liverpool - Manchester Airport - Scarborough/Middlesborough and wherever else!
It will be just great to have more loco and stock out and about again. Roll on 2018!

Status
Not open for further replies.