• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robert Mann

Does anyone know if there's going to be any runs this week? I managed to miss it last Tuesday due to ending up in the wrong place as a result of the wrong path being activated from Carlisle.

GrimShady

Established Member
When are the Glasgow - Liverpool services due to start and what will the frequency be?

mikemcniven

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Does anyone know when the Class 350/4s move to the Midlands?
WMT take over their lease from May. It will be up to them what happens next, whether they use them for their services or sub-lease to TPE. There are numerous rumours regarding what will happen with Manchester Airport - Scotland services from May but as far as I know these are purely rumours and I'm not aware of any substance behind them.

mikemcniven

WMT take over their lease from May. It will be up to them what happens next, whether they use them for their services or sub-lease to TPE. There are numerous rumours regarding what will happen with Manchester Airport - Scotland services from May but as far as I know these are purely rumours and I'm not aware of any substance behind them.

All that is confirmed for now is the new Liverpool to Glasgow service is temporally shelved as it's been changed to 5xxx head codes on RTT

driver9000

Established Member
I don't get why it's there either. All I can think of it's to connect the two pantographs?

It connects the pantographs to the transformer. Older stock has the cable running inside the body but these and Pendolinos have it exposed on the roof although on the latter it's hidden by the fairings. I don't know the reason why it isn't hidden in the roof space or bodywork on the 397.

twpsaesneg

Isn’t it aerodynamics when operating at high speed? One for each direction.

Redundancy probably doesn’t hurt either!

Knuckle trailing is apparently better dynamically, plus there's supposed to be smoother airflow and again therefore better dynamic airflow at the back of the train.

As you say, redundancy is also built in!

The 25kV cable is the busbar connecting the two pans and the transformer infeed.

Railperf

Established Member
Does anyone know why these have tapered body shells? I am pretty sure they are not fitted with any tilt mechanism!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why these have tapered body shells? I am pretty sure they are not fitted with any tilt mechanism!

Most UK trains do to some extent, I believe it relates to the kinematic envelope vs. the loading gauge, or in simple language if the train sways, the top sways out more than the bottom.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
3 members of the 15X class have tapered bodyshell's as do PEP's yet aren't ever going to tilt. I think it allows for better route availability but don't quote me.
It allows for sudden air suspension failure on one side, is the reason given in the past for many DMU and EMU as far as 17x and 37x. Others have said it is just an asthetic design decision. One thing’s for sure it was nothing to do with tilt...

Sleeperwaking

Why does a 5-car set even need two pantographs?

In addition to the other answers you've had, it helps to optimise pan spacing when operating in multiple - many similar fleets have two pans so that the two outermost can be used when running in multiple, providing better performance for the trailing pantograph. The front pantograph will set up a wave in the contact wire which takes time to die out - longer pan spacing reduces the effect of this wave on the trailing pantograph's performance. It's more critical for trains operating at higher speeds - the pan forces start to increase due to aerodynamic effects above 100-ish mph (the front pan will have a larger effect on the wire), and there's also less time for the effects to die down before encountering the trailing pan.

squizzler

Established Member
Good pictures Mike.
I really love the red 25Kv cable dragging all over the roof....looks like a real foreign bodge up!!
I agree that in the days of steam foreign engines looked like the plumbing was an afterthought, but these were machines with no styling whatsoever. I think here the red cable in conjunction with the aerodynamic styling gives an athletic look, reminiscent of surface veins on people with no body fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.