• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastien

3 members of the 15X class have tapered bodyshell's as do PEP's yet aren't ever going to tilt. I think it allows for better route availability but don't quote me.
I'm certain I saw a table on Roger Ford's site about the MK4 Vs MK3 and the tapered sides making the MK4 more aerodynamic. Not much though. It only became significant over the full life if the vehicle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm certain I saw a table on Roger Ford's site about the MK4 Vs MK3 and the tapered sides making the MK4 more aerodynamic. Not much though. It only became significant over the full life if the vehicle.

It does seem to prevent the almighty bang and visible deformation you get when two Mk3s pass at speed, particularly in a tunnel.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Todays capture on 5Q52 1106 Carlisle to Manchester International Depot via Crewe with 397001

Transpennine Express 397001
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

Transpennine Express 397001
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

Great photo's again Mike, thanks for sharing.

Only just noticed that the DMSO (Driver motor standard open) i think!? has a new nose cone at the North end (1st photo), no black.

Still the best looking exterior of the 3 Nova types, and i do prefer plug doors to those on Class 802s.

_toommm_

Established Member
Great photo's again Mike, thanks for sharing.

Only just noticed that the DMSO (Driver motor standard open) i think!? has a new nose cone at the North end (1st photo), no black.

Still the best looking exterior of the 3 Nova types, and i do prefer plug doors to those on Class 802s.

The blue nose cone makes it look like it's frowning/angry!

The MK4 was designed to be fitted for tilt. So the tapered ends were fitted. As well as the tapered sides.

They never got the tilt fitted however.

Railengineer

It connects the pantographs to the transformer. Older stock has the cable running inside the body but these and Pendolinos have it exposed on the roof although on the latter it's hidden by the fairings. I don't know the reason why it isn't hidden in the roof space or bodywork on the 397.
Thanks, I think that is the point I was trying to make. Dragging a 25Kv cable exposed on the roof looks like an afterthought rather then good design.

Erniescooper

Ah! ☺
Perhaps the coupler hatches are not very strong then.
I’m fairly sure when you look back at pictures of 001 at Velim the black vinyl on the coupler hatch had never been applied from the factory. The testing engineers tell me that a lot of night running was done at Velim and unfortunately that meant they were running over deer on a nightly basis and the coupler hatches were never damaged. The damage to 003 was something considerably bigger than a deer and the hatch has now been replaced.
001 should be out again tomorrow morning on the MID to Carlisle run.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks, I think that is the point I was trying to make. Dragging a 25Kv cable exposed on the roof looks like an afterthought rather then good design.
It’s quite probably considered safer on the roof, from the perspective of risk to passengers within the train.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

It’s quite probably considered safer on the roof, from the perspective of risk to passengers within the train.

Unless the design has changed, TGVs (and derivatives like Eurostar) have a roof-mounted 25kV bus line between the pantographs. Pendolinos too.
I don't know what happens on ICE and the Italian ETRs.

anamyd

On Moderation
Unless the design has changed, TGVs (and derivatives like Eurostar) have a roof-mounted 25kV bus line between the pantographs. Pendolinos too.
Yes, but it's done in a more discreet way. Whether that's from new, or any red cables turning black with dirt :D

On Moderation
I thought the E300 Eurostars have both pans raised and therefore don’t have a 25kV bus line?

Is see ROG (rail Operations group) are now involved in testing these new units. is this additional to the Freightliner involvement?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Beautiful unit. Possibly the most attractive thing on the mainline at the moment.

I reckon it looks nicer without the black on the coupler cover (I know that wasn't intentional! :) ) - though that does give it a bit of an "angry face" :)

Fez14

Beautiful unit. Possibly the most attractive thing on the mainline at the moment.

I reckon it looks nicer without the black on the coupler cover (I know that wasn't intentional! :) ) - though that does give it a bit of an "angry face" :)
I think it would look even better with some sort of panelling along the bottom to streamline it rather than the empty space, would save them energy as well

Fez14

OK, with all 3 of Transpennine expresses' 3 new fleets under test on UK rails, which will be the first to carry passengers?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
OK, with all 3 of Transpennine expresses' 3 new fleets under test on UK rails, which will be the first to carry passengers?
Well it should be, and should have been the Mk5a sets to carry fare paying passengers first as testing and mileage accumulation has been ongoing but not too sure how much if any TPE driver/guard training has taken place yet bar the Class 68s.

DanielTheEMid

For info,

The TPE future fleet plans per route are as follows:

Class 185:
Man Air to Cleethorpes (double sets Man-Sheffield)
Man Picc to Hull (double sets)
Man Picc to Leeds/Selby skip stop (single sets but potential to double)

Loco hauled MK5's:
Man Air to Middlesbrough
Liverpool to Scarborough

Class 397:
Man Air - Preston - Glasgow
Liverpool - Wigan - Glasgow
(These trains should combine / separate at Preston)

Man Air - Preston - Edinburgh

Class 802:
Man Air - Leeds - Newcastle
Liverpool - Leeds - Newcastle - Edinburgh

As for the news report regarding 397 construction, expect to see it in RAIL shortly.

No plans to shift 397's to cross the Pennines so unsure as to where that has come from - platform end talk / forum babble?

As per unit orders there's a chance in the future from say 2020 that TPE could run an hourly service all day to Scotland via Preston and would therefore require more 397's.

Regarding capacity, Northern are to introduce more services to Man Air from Lancaster to pick up the pax that currently swamp the TPE services after the pax arrive from the Barrow terminators.

Look at the seats.

seats look hard.jpg

Good the trains are not coming on my route! Because i looked and the seats look hard!

Mathew S

Established Member
You can sit on one now, go for a ride on a GWR Class 800.
Can't remember the last time I travelled on GWR.
Are they similar to the seats in the refurbed 185s? They look the same, but can't tell from the photo obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.