• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleeperwaking

Does anyone know why so many of the test runs are doubled up - considering no plans to do so? Do you get 2 for 1 on your fault free running?
Even if there are no plans to run in service doubled up, there can be contractual requirements for units to be approved for use in multiple train formations. So, the testing still needs to be done to demonstrate those requirements are met - contracts generally try to second guess possible future deployments / cascades over whole life of the fleet (e.g. 30 years). It's a lot easier to test on single units (both technically and logistically), so multiple unit tests tend to be concentrated at the end of the test programme (focusing on tests that can only be checked with a multiple unit formation). The Operator may also want to do some of their own checks on how units behave in multiple, in case a one-off situation comes up where it's required. And yes, you can sort of double up on fault free running, but there is usually a requirement stating at least X miles must have been driven from that specific unit to ensure there's enough opportunity to identify any faults requiring an active cab.

BeHereNow

What are the chances of getting all the Nova 2s in before the Class 350s go to London Midland?

coxxy

Went past Lonsight today and I'm sure they were trying to couple a class 68 and a 397! Looked like they had some form of coupling adapter on the 68 and were marshalling it towards the 397 (with coupler cover open.)

Entertexthere

Went past Lonsight today and I'm sure they were trying to couple a class 68 and a 397! Looked like they had some form of coupling adapter on the 68 and were marshalling it towards the 397 (with coupler cover open.)
I saw a class 397 being hauled by a class 68 outside Manchester Piccadilly yesterday, so it's apparently possible!

Jozhua

Established Member
Surely the 397's can run doubled up in practice?

If you were selective over platform, you can get a good 300m at Manchester Airport. The sets are 120m long, so a doubled up set would be 240m. With a bit of clever timetabling and provisison, shouldn't be a problem?

Bovverboy

Established Member
On Sunday 4/8/19 the 1910 Manchester Airport to Glasgow was formed of 350407 + 350410.

I mean, booked.

It did strike me as odd that this double 350 was working to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh, but I've completely lost track of TPE Anglo-Scottish workings of late anyway. If the double 350 wasn't a 'booked' working, how did it actually come to be there?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It did strike me as odd that this double 350 was working to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh, but I've completely lost track of TPE Anglo-Scottish workings of late anyway. If the double 350 wasn't a 'booked' working, how did it actually come to be there?

Back set locked out of use? Anyway I've got a thread for doubled-up TPE trains - do we need this clogging the EMU thread? Mods feel free to move over :D

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tpe-services-allocated-for-double-units.185924/#post-4128995

Bovverboy

Established Member
The original issue was whether or not 397s were going to be used in service as doubles. We've only moved ever so slightly from that.

Except there are no plans to double up the 397s (or any of the new TPE sets) in service.

Surely there must be? 8 car 350s at the weekends to Edinburgh are regularly full and sometimes standing, a 5 car 397 will be a reduction in capacity.

driver9000

Established Member
Surely the 397's can run doubled up in practice?

If you were selective over platform, you can get a good 300m at Manchester Airport. The sets are 120m long, so a doubled up set would be 240m. With a bit of clever timetabling and provisison, shouldn't be a problem?

Not to Manchester Airport where platforms are under 200m and have a maximum capacity of 8 coaches. A local instruction exists to the effect too.

Mollman

Established Member
What are the chances of getting all the Nova 2s in before the Class 350s go to London Midland?

I'm guessing that TPE will be busy negotiating an extension to some of the 350s. Might end up with reduced service on other TPE routes to free up a couple of 185s though.

Jozhua

Established Member
I'm guessing that TPE will be busy negotiating an extension to some of the 350s. Might end up with reduced service on other TPE routes to free up a couple of 185s though.

Adding in the new fleet somehow makes things worse rather than better...how very Transpennine Express :lol:

BeHereNow

Yes, that was my suspicion.

I bet West Coast passengers can’t wait for this lot to take over.

coxxy

I saw a class 397 being hauled by a class 68 outside Manchester Piccadilly yesterday, so it's apparently possible!

Suppose it makes sense for TPE to do it. Atleast if they ever have 1 fail they could potentially rescue their own train rather than relying on someone else to do it.

BMIFlyer

Suppose it makes sense for TPE to do it. Atleast if they ever have 1 fail they could potentially rescue their own train rather than relying on someone else to do it.
Doubt it was a 397 you saw. Probably a Mk5A set.

Status
Not open for further replies.