• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tam

And some photos...

After a few laps (not sure how many) the test crew went trackside to look at some of the the wheels before setting off again.
P1530761.JPG TPE397 Velim 120818(2).JPG TPE397 Velim 120818(3).JPG

Kite159

Veteran Member
It is mostly bays, yes. There will be tables, probably just not fitted yet.

That's a shame as the seats opposite won't stay clean for long due to selfish buggers using the seat opposite as somewhere to rest their dirty shoes.

Airline seating with decent legroom is better

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's a shame as the seats opposite won't stay clean for long due to selfish buggers using the seat opposite as somewhere to rest their dirty shoes.

It's a matter of opinion. I too prefer airline, but many prefer tables.

A layout like the as-built Class 158 with about half of each is in my view best.

mallard

Established Member

If you're travelling alone on a well loaded train, I agree, you get more "personal" space with airline seating. Being one of four strangers around a table (or worse, being one individual sharing a table with a group of 3 others) can feel very claustrophobic.

If you're travelling as a group or the train is lightly loaded enough that you get a table to yourself or share with one other person, tables all the way.

driver9000

Established Member
Anyone have an eta for the first set to arrive in the UK? If we’re going off a similar timescale for the mk5’s (very different trains I know) how much longer should it be now in the gap from the first set heading to velim to the first set arriving in the UK, IIRC with the mk5 it was about 2 months?

October at earliest for now. A second 397 is due at Velim soon for coupled tests.

Tam

I was at Velim yesterday and saw the unit standing in a siding, but not under movement. I couldn't help but notice the black dust (brake dust?) around all of these devices (whatever they are).

TPE397Velim180818.JPG

Domh245

Established Member
Those will be emergency door release/egress handles. Interesting that the brake dust is getting deposited around there, I wonder if a small spoiler or something tacked on above the bogies on the solebar would help prevent it

Nice photos @Tam

How many sets are there still to come across to the UK?
Don’t think we’ve got any 397’s here yet (unfortunately), so still all 12 to come over. Anyone got any gen on when we might see our first one? This month for the first uk delivery was thrown about IIRC.

driver9000

Established Member
Driving cab photo from the CAF website.

Attachments

• 7-tren-regional-transpennine.jpg
    7-tren-regional-transpennine.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 270

AlastairFraser

Established Member
The data within Route utilisation studies shows that these trains, like the VTWC trains from Birmingham, are generally quite lightly loaded north of Preston. So alternative services need to be provided at the South end, and ticketing restrictions used to discourage passengers from using InterCity trains for commuting. Good luck with that (see Reading!)
I hold my hands up to jumping on a 6.37pm service to Frome one stop to Theale on a Tuesday night for two years and many others still do too,you are absolutely correct.:D:D:D

Spartacus

Established Member
Isn’t the UK gauge in height much lower than pretty much anything that is tested at Velim ?

There are a few places around where the pantographs of UK stock do get extended quite a bit, it doesn't look like it's much, if any different to that. I think 91s can look a little weird in photos in places like that.

TRAX

Established Member
Yeah but overall Velim has to take into account a lot of different stock heights - and a lot of double-deck trains.

MisterT

Yeah but overall Velim has to take into account a lot of different stock heights - and a lot of double-deck trains.
I believe I saw a documentary about Velim a few years ago, and if I recall it correctly, they are able to change the height of the wires to a match the different heights in the different countries, just like they change the voltage.

Last edited:

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Velim might not be at the standard UK wire height but the wire height at level crossings is higher than normal. I presume the standard height on the continent is not higher than that level crossing height, given that the slightly larger loading gauge won't magically solve all clearance issues across their network.

How high do wires need to be before they go beyond the normal range? Apparently the 319s used for Channel Tunnel runs had to have modifications to their pantographs because the wire height in the tunnel is so high for the shuttle services.

themiller

Euro tunnel wire height is 6030mm according to their publication ‘EUROTUNNEL NETWORK STATEMENT’ https://www.getlinkgroup.com/uploadedFiles/assets-uk/the-channel-tunnel/23122013-DRRNS2015_EN1.pdf
But see RSSB Deviation Certificate 17-078-DEV which gives a maximum of 6200mm with uplift in specific cases and mentions classes 800, 387,86 & 90. Since 319s will be running under the wires that this deviation applies to, I expect that they are already compatible or will be modified to comply.
Perhaps this is also of interest to those following the GWML electrification thread.

Journeyman

Established Member
If you're travelling alone on a well loaded train, I agree, you get more "personal" space with airline seating. Being one of four strangers around a table (or worse, being one individual sharing a table with a group of 3 others) can feel very claustrophobic.

If you're travelling as a group or the train is lightly loaded enough that you get a table to yourself or share with one other person, tables all the way.

Completely agree - nine times out of ten on a long journey, I'll be travelling alone, and airline seats are FAR better in those circumstances. Given how crowded TPE services get, I'm not looking forward to having to use tables with a whole bunch of other people.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Completely agree - nine times out of ten on a long journey, I'll be travelling alone, and airline seats are FAR better in those circumstances. Given how crowded TPE services get, I'm not looking forward to having to use tables with a whole bunch of other people.

This is very true. What I'd prefer to stop, though, is this idea that airline seating can be used as a means of cramming seats in. In a given window bay, install a table or two rows of airline seating, and it'll all be fine - the original Class 158 layout near enough does this and is as good a layout as you'll get in any stock. Other than the central section in 3 out of the 4 coaches (the other one has a more generous layout), this is how it is on the Class 350, for what it's worth.

D6700

Looks like a TPE Class 397 is leaving Velim - there's one at Velim station, with a freight loco on the front, facing Kolin.

Scrub that! Kyklop T499.002 has just taken it into the complex and the electric loco I saw it with has just left.

Last edited:

Sleeperwaking

Velim might not be at the standard UK wire height but the wire height at level crossings is higher than normal. I presume the standard height on the continent is not higher than that level crossing height, given that the slightly larger loading gauge won't magically solve all clearance issues across their network.

How high do wires need to be before they go beyond the normal range? Apparently the 319s used for Channel Tunnel runs had to have modifications to their pantographs because the wire height in the tunnel is so high for the shuttle services.

According to the Energy TSI (which Velim complies with), design contact wire heights for "normal" speed trains (< 250 km/h / ~155 mph) nominal height should be between 5.0m and 5.75m, maximum 6.2m, level crossing heights to be covered by national rules. UK heights are covered in GL/RT1210 - nominal design height 4.7m, max 5.94m, minimum 5.8m at level crossings (although legacy OLE is min 5.6m at level crossings I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.