• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Expanding? Virgin back to Poole & Pompey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Mart 158741 said:
In English?

Mart

I think "Bonemaster" is trying to say that XC may not extend to Poole/Portsmouth etc as it wasn't stated in the original DfT Franchise Document.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
matt said:
Indeed, but the DfT also like contradicting themselves and the ORR, and spouting rubbish too!
DfT said:
"Cross Country services generally operate long distances (typically more than 200 miles)many of which overlap with those of other operators while providing a distinctive service offering in at least two ways:
* Providing “Intercity” speed and quality for through journeys across the country, with limited stops, avoiding the changes in London or elsewhere which might otherwise deter passengers choosing to travel by rail;

It is proposed that services that currently operate between Birmingham and Scotland via the West Coast main line will, in SLC2, operate in a self contained manner with these trains all terminating at Birmingham."

There are currently three trains per day between Reading and Gatwick/Brighton either via Guildford or via Kensington Olympia. From December 2006, the new Greater Western franchise will operate a half hourly service between Reading and Gatwick and there are many trains from Gatwick to Brighton. With this high frequency service on these two corridors, the DfT is proposing that the New Cross Country franchise will not operate services east of Reading.

So they basically contradict themselves and admit they are trying to deter passengers choosing to travel by rail. Well, we all knew that, but now they virtually admit it! ;)

Mintona

Established Member
More services for Gloucester? Excellent, it needs it. Viirgin made it so you have to change at Cheltenham Spa or Bristol Parkway for XC services when they axed these services, it'd be great to see them going into Gloucester again!

evil_hippo

I'm worried about a reduced service north of Crewe. There would appear to be one fewer train every 2 hours and a lack of a direct Birmingham service.

Also, I belive the plan is that the Manc-Scotland services consist of what were the Windermere trains; The Windermere brance becoming an hourly shuttle. I am concerned that the loss of a direct link from Manchester airport to Windermere will have an adverse effect on tourism in the Lake district or at least increase the chance of people arriving there from their airport by means other than rail.

xtradj

good news if lime street got back portsmouth and brighton

years ago we had services to Poole when virgin took over.. which then changed to Reading only when the voyagers came every 2 hours

since then that service was taken by central/silverlink who do a fast 2 hourly service to bham new street, aswell as the slower hourly service

id be in favour of the portsmouth/brighton service, as we always have to change at crewe to catch virgin services ( except the euston service )

piccadilly has to many virgin services, easier to hand the portsmouth/brighton to liverpool

paul1609

Established Member
The half hourly service by FGW to Gatwick hasnt happened in the Dec 06 timetable either. There are various rumours about insufficent stock, paths etc
There is a hourly stopping service to Redhill but given the very slow line speed for this route thats hardly an alternative to Cross Country services.

Mushroom

TPE

TPE will soon be replacing Virgins cross country services to Glasgow and starting from Manchester Airport, and probably run to Chester also.

Is this Chester form Manchester Airport? Replacing the current Northern Manchester Picc to Chester Service???

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is this Chester form Manchester Airport? Replacing the current Northern Manchester Picc to Chester Service???

It wouldn't be replacing the Northern service as they run the stoppers, and TPE aren't going to be stopping everywhere on the way to Glasgow!

Mushroom

It wouldn't be replacing the Northern service as they run the stoppers, and TPE aren't going to be stopping everywhere on the way to Glasgow!

Ahh I'd assumed it was a seperate Chester service. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mushroom

Me living on the Manchester - Chester line anything that may be improvement on the current hourly pacer service gets my full attention

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On a sunday the Voyagers run ECS to poole so y not make it a service

Really? Why is this?

On the subject of TPE to Crewe, this seems a bit odd. It gets a pretty decent service already from Northern and ATW doesn't it?

T

Tom

They run ECS to Poole because of the way the service operates on a Sunday.

The Voyager runs behind a class 444 stopping service to Bournemouth which uses 1 siding, and the other siding is normally used by the second 442 on the Weymouth services which uncouple at Poole.

Status
Not open for further replies.