• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE: Lea Green v St Helens Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjm77

From what I remember the winning bidder for the franchise got to choose which of the two stops to call at. Either/or, but not both.

However looking at Wiki the numbers using St.Helens Jcn have fallen from 414K to 212K, but there has been no corresponding increase at Lea Green! The 2018 Timetable fiasco and also Northern strikes will not have helped but that is a significant reduction from the two stations combined. Have passengers been lost to the railway following this change of stop (in addition to the other reasons already given)?

Last edited:

NWR001

From what I remember the winning bidder for the franchise got to choose which of the two stops to call at. Either/or, but not both.

However looking at Wiki the numbers using St.Helens Jcn have fallen from 414K to 212K, but there has been no corresponding increase at Lea Green! The 2018 Timetable fiasco and also Northern strikes will not have helped but that is a significant reduction from the two stations combined. Have passengers been lost to the railway following this change of stop (in addition to the other reasons already given)?

A couple of contributing factors;

Following the 2018 re-shuffle, St Helens Jn lost it's "fast" service to Manchester Picc and the Airport, (this called only at Newton-le-Willows before direct to Manchester).

Also, for a significant period in 2018, Liverpool Lime St was closed for remodeling, potentially forcing passengers to seek alternative means of travel.

Also, like you stated, the Northern fiasco of strikes and cancellations has surely not helped.

But still, that's a big decrease. The above could not be the sole reasons surely...

Fokx

Lea Green is a more central station to the area it serves, giving better local access. St Helens Junction station is essentially located right on the outskirts of town, with not much east of the station and local area.

Lea Green is closer to St Helens Hospital, has slightly better bus links (to St Helens, Widnes, Cronton, Farnworth, Clockface and Sutton Manor) and at the time it also had a larger car park.

si404

Established Member
From what I remember, they were leaning towards St Helens Jct initially, but after consultation and deeper investigation, they chose Lea Green.

Gareth

Established Member
I think Merseytravel wanted Lea Green. That said, it's not a closed case and some have been calling for fast calls to revert to Junction.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Didn't TPE used to serve Widnes and passengers were quite upset when TPE came off the CLC so could the idea of serving Lea Green be their way of trying to win back and satisfy some of the CLC passengers which they lost?

M60lad

No, it was always and still is East Midlands Railway that stopped at Widnes, TPE stopped at Birchwood whereas East Midlands Railway doesnt and never has done as far as I know.

NWR001

No, it was always and still is East Midlands Railway that stopped at Widnes, TPE stopped at Birchwood whereas East Midlands Railway doesnt and never has done as far as I know.

Pre-May 2018, TPE served Widnes with one train a day, in the morning, Scarborough-bound.

Three EMRs call at Birchwood daily. Two in the morning peak Norwich-bound, and one in the evening peak Liverpol-bound.

The ex-TPE Birchwood call was picked up by the limited-stop Northern Liverpool-Man Airport via CLC service.

Status
Not open for further replies.