• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE loaned Class 170 Leeds - Huddersfield diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
Does anyone know what diagrams that the Class 170 on loan to TPE from Northern operate on for the Leeds - Huddersfield services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Typically it's even hours from Huddersfield and odd hours from Leeds.

I didn't know that they had one on loan! Interesting to see a 170 back with them again! Which unit number is it out of interest? Also have the FTPE drivers and guards retained their training or is it operated by Northern Rail drivers and guards?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I didn't know that they had one on loan! Interesting to see a 170 back with them again! Which unit number is it out of interest? Also have the FTPE drivers and guards retained their training or is it operated by Northern Rail drivers and guards?
Whichever unit Northern provide that day. The train carries a Northern driver to drive the train and a TransPennine Express one to read the paper, or route conduct if called upon to, and is worked by a TransPennine Express conductor.

Many thanks. So it sounds like it's similar to the 185s on hire from FTPE to Northern Rail which didn't have specific units either. I might take a trip up to take a ride on it while it lasts. Any idea how long this is for? Is it until they get their new trains?

AndyW33

Many thanks. So it sounds like it's similar to the 185s on hire from FTPE to Northern Rail which didn't have specific units either. I might take a trip up to take a ride on it while it lasts. Any idea how long this is for? Is it until they get their new trains?
Fundamentally it is until Northern are able to stop using TPE 185s every weekday on the west side of their franchise. This ought to happen once the Manchester-Bolton-Euxton Junction line is fully operable by EMUs, and then the diagrams are reworked, possibly May this year.

BeHereNow

Fundamentally it is until Northern are able to stop using TPE 185s every weekday on the west side of their franchise. This ought to happen once the Manchester-Bolton-Euxton Junction line is fully operable by EMUs, and then the diagrams are reworked, possibly May this year.

Or until TransPennine introduce their new rolling stock, which was promised way back.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Do these ever cross with the TPE 185s subleased to Northern?

Be a great way of making a non-expert bewildered.

"Yes, your Northern only ticket is valid on that train with TransPennine Express written on it. No, it's not valid on that train with Northern written on it"

You couldn't make it up if you tried... :lol:

robbeech

Established Member
I am led to believe staff are told to be lenient in these cases but in reality the easy money is likely a temptation some cannot ignore.

Established Member
The 170 services are shown in RTT as being standard class only

_toommm_

Established Member
All 170's across the network with all TOCs are times as 158's in RTT.

It's just the way RTT interprets it - when a train is cancelled because of leaves leaving problems with rail adhesion, the cancellation code is took jokingly on RTT

Andyh82

Established Member
Northern have a unit on loan to TPE
TPE have a unit on loan to Northern.

It might be a stupid observation, but am I the only one to see what they could do to remove both these loans?

_toommm_

Established Member
Northern have a unit on loan to TPE
TPE have a unit on loan to Northern.

It might be a stupid observation, but am I the only one to see what they could do to remove both these loans?

The 170 would be operating up to Barrow which, I beleive was done in the past, would require mass traction training just for one train, whereas the use of the 185s used to be more prolific so it makes sense to keep them running on Barrows. TPE men and women will also remember the 170s, so they may have been able to fast track the training for the guards and drivers.

The stock has no crossover points at the moment so it just makes sense to stick with what they've known, until such a possible time that the mass usage of 170s is a thing in Manchester.

I do completely understand what you mean though - eye for an eye, unit for a unit...

Eccles1983

On Moderation
You can't fast track training.

You're either competant or not. Regardless if you have signed them before.

dk1

Veteran Member
Whichever unit Northern provide that day. The train carries a Northern driver to drive the train and a TransPennine Express one to read the paper, or route conduct if called upon to, and is worked by a TransPennine Express conductor.
Was a similar set up when DRS used class 68s on rural services in East Anglia. The booked GA driver had to be booked too throughout the many months of hire in just incase needed for route conducting, it was replaced by a DMU at short notice & to keep the staffing minutes adhered to.

Andyh82

Established Member
The 170 would be operating up to Barrow which, I beleive was done in the past, would require mass traction training just for one train, whereas the use of the 185s used to be more prolific so it makes sense to keep them running on Barrows. TPE men and women will also remember the 170s, so they may have been able to fast track the training for the guards and drivers.

The stock has no crossover points at the moment so it just makes sense to stick with what they've known, until such a possible time that the mass usage of 170s is a thing in Manchester.

I do completely understand what you mean though - eye for an eye, unit for a unit...

Well I’d be thinking more than the 170 is used on a Leeds area service and something more common like a 156/158 moves to the Barrow service, meaning the loaned 185 could then replace the 170 on TPE

TrainTube

Is the Leeds-Huddersfield diagram an ex scot-rail 170? Presumably they each loan out 1 unit, rather than changing every week.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is the Leeds-Huddersfield diagram an ex scot-rail 170? Presumably they each loan out 1 unit, rather than changing every week.
Wouldn't it just be whatever unit is convenient off Neville Hill on the day?

pdq

So far it has been a mixture of un-refurbed but de-branded Scotrail (including the 2+1 ex-1st class bit) and the ones refurbed by Northern. Despite the smart refurbishment, they still betray their origins as the safety info over the doors refers to Scotrail as the operator.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Well I’d be thinking more than the 170 is used on a Leeds area service and something more common like a 156/158 moves to the Barrow service, meaning the loaned 185 could then replace the 170 on TPE
Northern has two 185s on loan from TPE, and they are coupled in a 6-car formation on some workings between Manchester Airport and Preston. The Barrow workings are pathed for a 100mph DMU, and the 170s are the only other 100mph DMUs Northern has until the 195s enter traffic.

The Northern 185 diagrams are still as I described in this post, apart from some changes in platform allocations.

geoffk

Established Member
Do these ever cross with the TPE 185s subleased to Northern?

Be a great way of making a non-expert bewildered.

"Yes, your Northern only ticket is valid on that train with TransPennine Express written on it. No, it's not valid on that train with Northern written on it"

You couldn't make it up if you tried... :lol:
Why do we even need Northern-only tickets (except for advance purchase)? The franchise system should be set up to prevent this happening.

superalbs

Established Member
Hello all!

Does this still happen?

I am in the area soon, and wouldn't mind having a 170 ride on a TPE service, if they're still going!

Thanks!

bengley

Established Member
Hello all!

Does this still happen?

I am in the area soon, and wouldn't mind having a 170 ride on a TPE service, if they're still going!

Thanks!

Yes. Every 2 hours from Huddersfield to Leeds and vice versa.

Andyh82

Established Member
Hello all!

Does this still happen?

Thanks!
To note it is running the all stations stopper that up to last May was run by Northern anyway, so it isn't that impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.