TPE Manchester Airport < > Scotland Cancellations

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Roose, 20 Nov 2019.

1. Roose

Roose Member

Our second trip between Carlisle and Piccadilly in two weeks using TPE only advance booking with mandatory reservations for which no seats were allocated. Last time there was no problem finding a seat from Carlisle soon after 08:00 but the return journey at c20:30 from Picc saw something of a scrum on platform 14 with many left standing through Lancashire.

Yesterday our first train south (due in c10:30) was cancelled on arrival at Carlisle; the second, a Class 185 unit an hour later, was cancelled at Preston with passengers advised to transfer to a Northern service to Hazel Grove on the adjacent platform. The TPE conductor assumed ticket acceptance would be available but in the event there was no on-board ticket check on the less-than-full Class 319 service.

A colleague travelling to Edinburgh from Carlisle yesterday morning arrived 29 minutes late. He was due to return on the 22:13 but received word that it would be cancelled, as it apparently had been on Monday, so had to forgo eating and do something like the Powderhall Sprint to get an earlier train which naturally lacked anything to eat beyond shortbread and Quavers.

Another colleague travelling south from Penrith to the airport on Thursday was also met with a cancellation, necessitating a taxi trip.

All anecdotal, I know, but not a happy picture of current reliability on this route with all the training of drivers taking place.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

I wouldn't touch the Anglo-Scot route for the time being, many times they're unable to get ticket acceptance with VT either so you'd find yourself on Bertie the Bus for your journey.
    Sam

4. BeHereNow

BeHereNow Member

This route has 58% PPM for November so far. Flooding and all other kinds of things no doubt has an impact, but to average 22% CaSL is horrendous.

5. jawr256

jawr256 Member

I noticed for the first time this Monday that the departure boards at Preston showed "TPE tickets valid for this train" for the 07:11 Northern service to Manchester after the 06:47 TPE was cancelled. I'm glad they've started doing this as the TPE JourneyCheck messages when this service is cancelled often focus on Lancaster passengers and leave ticket acceptance ambiguous for those boarding at Preston.

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

In the interest of fairness to VT, TPE could cough up for new tickets for each passenger on VT (and I doubt VT could do anything about that) - but they choose not to do so because a bus is cheaper.

7. Carlisle

Carlisle Established Member

Im purely guessing here, but is the diabolical performance on this route by TPE only being tolerated because those higher up the chain know in a few weeks they’ll have a new fleet therefore training issues largely resolved & a cooperative alternative provider to replace Virgin .

8. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

What are my chances on Sunday 15th December of getting a Northern to Wigan and a TPE to Glasgow? Not optimistic :( .

9. 2L70

2L70 Member

And the bus will be sourced by First Rail support so keeps the money in the company.

10. nlogax

nlogax Established Member

Argh, so I'm doing TPE on Friday evening, Manc to Glasgow. None of these stories fill me with confidence.

11. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

A Liverpool to Glasgow service on day one? Given the number of times those have been put back already...

12. trainophile

Hmm, I was already wondering whether to throw more money at it and book with Virgin (or whoever they will be by then), but thinking it would be ironic if TPE runs perfectly and the new West Coast operator has teething problems, or if Northern let me down so I can't even get to Wigan. If I hadn't already paid for a hotel I would cancel, especially as it's not much fun hanging around station platforms in icy temperatures.

I was only going as I picked up the following by Scotrail on Twitter...

I've never been on one and think they look really attractive from the outside, with the cherry and cream livery. So booked an overnighter for mid-December to get a journey on one before it's too late. (If anyone else is up for it we could see if a forum outing could be arranged!)

13. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Given that Manchester Airport is involved I wonder how many have missed flights as a result of this? It must be costing TPE a fortune in bus replacements, taxis etc

14. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

Should be spare 185s available off the Newcastle routes even if not enough 350 / 397 by then.

15. trainophile

Isn't it the driver shortages that cause the problems, not the trains?

16. InOban

InOban Established Member

Aren't they frantically trying to train enough traincrew to operate the new trains?

17. trainophile

It's pretty disgraceful that fare paying (would-be) passengers are having to revise their plans on the basis that the trains they have bought tickets for in good faith are highly likely not to exist on the day. Not just TPE, seems Northern also are unable to fulfil the commitments they make, not to mention the TOCs affected by RMT strike action.

It taxes the loyalty of even those who use this forum, which is mainly people enthusiastic about rail travel, so the impact on the everyday traveller must be doing horrendous reputational damage to the industry.

18. Starmill

There are good reasons why the Northern franchise is in financial difficulty. I believe that this is one of them.

19. MDB1images

MDB1images Member

Yes, that's spot on.

20. Roose

Roose Member

In the interests of fairness, this evening's 18:26 from Piccadilly did run, leaving at 18:31 due to a delayed ("Congestion") Northern service to Parbold in front of it.

It was further delayed by Preston and has just left Penrith fourteen minutes late.

21. dk1

dk1 Established Member

So much training going on at the moment it's only to be expected it will affect the day to day running when the company has vacant driving positions too. Hopefully things will improve into the new year.

22. The BIgman1234

The BIgman1234 Member

The new Liverpool lime st to Glasgow has been running the last few weeks as empties with no problems 8-). Any TPE services to from Edinburgh/Glasgow to MIA that have been cancelled were showing driver shortage :oops:. Does anyone know why I can’t reserve seats on the Edinburgh to MIA route ??

23. kc_

kc_ Member

They're moving to electronic reservation displays, rather than printed tickets in the seat. Reservations are unavailable until after 14th Dec when the new trains are in service, according to TPE customer services.

24. kc_

kc_ Member

The 1310 MIA - GLC on Friday was an 8-car consisting of 350403 and 350407. Thought they didn't have enough units after they gave up 350401. What was this all about?

25. The BIgman1234

The BIgman1234 Member

Thanks , they gave me a “counted place” reservation . So I would assume it will be first come first served as no one will have a reservation?

26. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

Correct.
    Sam

27. kc_

kc_ Member

Pretty much. Consider the entire train unreserved (obviously first class remains first class). Never had one of those reservations myself, so not fully sure if conductor is obliged to ensure you get a seat.

28. The BIgman1234

The BIgman1234 Member

Thanks Sam

29. The BIgman1234

The BIgman1234 Member

The guy gave me it on what’s app lol . Thanks for the info :D

30. Starmill

My guess would be it was the unit from a previous cancelled service?

31. MDB1images

MDB1images Member

Some of the paths for the Liverpool to Glasgow which start in December are being used as the crew training and pass out runs for the Class 397s so those might be the 'ECS' trains you've seen.