• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Manchester Airport < > Scotland Cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Are these long distance replacement buses actually coaches, with, erm, 'facilities' on board? Not a good idea to use bog standard (no pun intended) service buses for two or three hour journeys.

MDB1images

Are these long distance replacement buses actually coaches, with, erm, 'facilities' on board? Not a good idea to use bog standard (no pun intended) service buses for two or three hour journeys.

They are coaches, sometimes a 8-16 seater mini bus for Lockerbie etc.

headshot119

Established Member

Saturday nights replacement coach, was a rather fancy double decker affair with tables.

MDB1images

Well that wouldn't have a toilet then would it?

Wouldn't have thought so but I'm sure if someone was desperate in the 90mins or so they would call at Abington services or one of the garages en route.
No toilets in rail replacement taxis and they do similar if someone needs a PNB.

What's the point of removing reservations? Are they planning on running some ad hoc Nova trains over the next few weeks?

Roose

As others have said, for some weeks reservations haven't identified specific seats (at least on certain trains) to cover the period of uncertainty when the new trains might start to enter public service, the company therefore bring unable to predict which type of train (and therefore which seating layout) might serve particular services.

Altfish

I had an advance ticket on the TPE 0825 to Edinburgh a couple of Mondays back; that also had no reservations. As it happened I got myself a double seat to myself most of the way; it was a 350/4 not a 185.

nlogax

Established Member
Last week I booked myself a last minute reservation on TPE's site for the advance ticket I held from Manchester Airport to Glasgow. Reading this thread I'm left wondering, was that technically valid?

kc_

Last week I booked myself a last minute reservation on TPE's site for the advance ticket I held from Manchester Airport to Glasgow. Reading this thread I'm left wondering, was that technically valid?

Good luck claiming your seat. Some passengers refuse to move when there's no purple ticket in the seat. Even when TPE were giving out normal seat reservations, the purple last minute tickets were there less than half time.

nlogax

Established Member
Good luck claiming your seat. Some passengers refuse to move when there's no purple ticket in the seat. Even when TPE were giving out normal seat reservations, the purple last minute tickets were there less than half time.

This was last Friday. As my ticket was originally from Piccadilly I just gave myself some extra time and picked up the train down at the airport instead. Worked out well enough!

Darandio

Established Member

No reservation labels placed means no reservation enforceable as far as i'm concerned, sorry.

kc_

No reservation labels placed means no reservation enforceable as far as i'm concerned, sorry.

I'm perfectly fine not being able to claim a last minute seat whilst TPE aren't doing any reservations whatsoever on the anglo-scot services. Previously though, they would sometimes print all the reservation tickets, except the last minutes ones which would read "This seat may be reserved at any point during the journey". If a service isn't part of the last minute scheme, they should not list it on their last minute site IMO. Or maybe they were often removed by passengers who boarded at origin and perhaps didn't understand what they were. Problem should be gone with the new electronic reservations.

That said, I've found it easier to get a seat with the lack of reservations than with.

Bovverboy

Established Member
22:10 Edinburgh to Manchester Airport cancelled this evening, again due to driver shortage with a replacement bus throughout.
Sam

I can assure you wouldn't be doing Edinburgh to Manchester Airport in two or three hours.

Mugby

Established Member
How does the journey time for Edinburgh - Manchester by replacement bus (or coach) compare with the train time?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How does the journey time for Edinburgh - Manchester by replacement bus (or coach) compare with the train time?

Probably not favourably - especially if it has to stop at the main stations. Manchester to Glasgow with a stop at Preston by Megabus is around four and a quarter hours. The train takes three and a half hours with stops.

About 25% slower - an hour longer (and Edinburgh is slightly more difficult to get to than Glasgow)

RailFan89

I'm travelling to Glasgow on the 23rd to see family over the Christmas period. All these Edinburgh cancellations do not give me great confidence that my Glasgow train will run. Are TPE running coaches on the full route if a train is cancelled or are you pretty much left stranded? I have an advance ticket so I'm pretty restricted to the 1 train. Surely all these bus replacements and cancellations are costing TPE a fortune. Thankfully I am getting a National Express coach on the way home to Manchester so I won't need to worry about getting home too much. It mostly seems to be Edinburgh hardest hit be these cancellations.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm travelling to Glasgow on the 23rd to see family over the Christmas period. All these Edinburgh cancellations do not give me great confidence that my Glasgow train will run. Are TPE running coaches on the full route if a train is cancelled or are you pretty much left stranded? I have an advance ticket so I'm pretty restricted to the 1 train. Surely all these bus replacements and cancellations are costing TPE a fortune. Thankfully I am getting a National Express coach on the way home to Manchester so I won't need to worry about getting home too much. It mostly seems to be Edinburgh hardest hit be these cancellations.

From next week, no doubt you would be directed to the through TPE Edinburgh-York-Liverpool service (if they are running, that is).

hkstudent

Established Member
You cannot leave stranded by train company. If they cannot run a rail replacement bus, then they have to book you a taxi to your destiantion or hotel for overnight, acoording to the NRCoT

Given that Manchester Airport is involved I wonder how many have missed flights as a result of this? It must be costing TPE a fortune in bus replacements, taxis etc
Always get a travel insurance with ground transport delay cover, for the provision of train delays.
I claimed the insurance company for a free flight from London to Paris (replacing my missed coach) for Jubilee Line signal failure, and that was in February Half-term. Woooo, what a fortune.

Another colleague travelling south from Penrith to the airport on Thursday was also met with a cancellation, necessitating a taxi trip.
Did he/she claimed TPE for the taxi cost incurred?

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
From next week, no doubt you would be directed to the through TPE Edinburgh-York-Liverpool service (if they are running, that is).
Maybe I was wrong about that service existing purely to extract revenue from exist services. Maybe it is a needed after all to provide a direct link from Scotland- Manchester ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.