• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Manchester Airport to Penrith North Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

We fly back from Australia on the 30th October to Manchester Airport (we are not catching the train to fly out so not buying a return) we just require two single tickets one with a senior card.
We arrive at 12.25pm and are aware of the TPE airport deal allowing us to catch a train three hours after the booked one if the flight is delayed.

Our dilemma is that our flights have already been rescheduled a while ago and some friends flying separately have just this week had their flights rescheduled. So would we lose out price wise if instead of booking our ticket now, we held off to nearer the time? The best price at the moment seems to be £29.55p

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Book through TPE’s website whilst logged in and you can change the ticket for free to another date/time Advance, plus of course any difference in price.

alistairlees

Established Member
You could also consider buying flexible tickets, then you don't have to worry about any of this (I have no idea how likely your plane is to be more than 3 hours late).

If you do, you could split them at Preston, as this is cheaper. Every train stops at Preston, so it doesn't matter.

TPE only (you must travel on TPE trains)
Manchester Airport to Preston £13.50
Preston to Penrith Off-Peak Day Single £15.50

Or Any Permitted (you can get any train)
Manchester Airport to Preston £16.70
Preston to Penrith Off-Peak Day Single £20.90

So for two adults, one with a Senior Railcard, the costs would be

TPE only: £29.00 + £8.90 + £10.25 = £48.15

Any: £37.60 + £11.05 + £13.80 = £62.45

Condor7

I appreciate the comments so far, and the advice to consider split ticketing at Preston. I’m wondering however if I’ve over complicated the question. I can book the tickets now for £29.55p in total. If we waited until, say, the middle of October, how likely is the £29.55p to go up and if so by approximately how much?

alistairlees

Established Member
It's very likely the fare will go up, but even the maximum Advance fare (for both of you) will be £44.00 (£26.50 + £17.50).

The question which no-one (except TPE) knows the answer to is: are there any of these tickets available on the train you want to go on? And, if so, how many?

That said, given that Advance is always less than walk up, you might as well take the risk. The only question then is: will your plane be so late that, even with the three hour rule, your Advance tickets will be useless and you'll have to buy walk up anyway.

Your call.

sheff1

Established Member
The T&Cs of the Airport Advance refer to the scheduled arrival time of the plane. If the plane is rescheduled by the airline presumably this is of co concern to TPE who are likely to consider the new time to be the scheduled time. A new time might, of course, be earlier in which case there could be a lot of hanging about at the airport if an Advance train ticket was held

Condor7

The T&Cs of the Airport Advance refer to the scheduled arrival time of the plane.

Not according to the TPE website....”with an Airport Advance you can catch the next available TransPennine Express train up to 3 hours after the departure time stated on the ticket.”

sheff1

Established Member
Interesting. The wording I saw was:
" It works the same as a regular Advance, but it’s more flexible in case your flight to the UK experiences any delays. Just make sure you book your train ticket from the Airport at least an hour after your scheduled arrival time; that way, if your flight is delayed, you'll still be able to travel up to 3 hours after the time on your train ticket."

I have now found, elsewhere on the site, the wording you quote and it is certainly less prescriptive.

Condor7

Yes I saw that, and agree a little confusing. I think they mean not to book your train ticket less than an hour after your scheduled flight arrival time as it will take up to an hour to disembark and get through customs etc, and then you get 3 hours from your train ticket time.

Status
Not open for further replies.