• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Bow

Ooops! Missed these:

Thursday 20.06.2019
21:26 MID-Stafford
23:23 Stafford-Warrington Bank Quay

Friday 21.06.2019
02:24 Warrington Bank Quay-Crewe

I wonder if they were the night braking runs with TP11 referred to earlier?

Thank you for your round ups, they are really valuable in terms of understanding what is really happening, as opposed to what's supposed to be happening...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjpowermac

Established Member
Thank you for your round ups, they are really valuable in terms of understanding what is really happening, as opposed to what's supposed to be happening...
Many thanks, greatly appreciated. Let’s keep our fingers crossed:)

fowler9

Established Member
It's an eight day course which requires you to work rest days and outside your normal working hours, it's a courtesy to drivers so they can organise their lives. Childcare is an issue for many so a bit of notice helps so we can sort it out properly.
I am very jealous. Where I work 3 girls got 4 days notice that they were being moved from an early shift to a late. Two of them have kids. This is in no way a criticism of the railway employers or staff. We should all strive to be more like the railways not the other way round. Apologies for going off topic.

Chris217

When are the 68s and mk5s actually
entering service?

Seems to me that everything new that was
supposed to be in service by now...isn't?

Ha,just like an actual train....late!

D6700

It was a VSTP, too, which Realtime Trains quotes as being "activated" (sic) at 10:52 for 11:28, which is likely to be the time the schedule was committed to TRUST. Such short notice suggests there was a real intention for it to run, as opposed to some STP and, especially, WTT paths, which can be little more than placeholders.

By comparison, the return VSTP path was "activated" (sic) at 12:27 for 13:27 - which is the normal auto-call timescale.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O16273/2019/06/23/advanced

Spartacus

Established Member
I know there's a DRS move from Kingmoor to Middlesbrough via Redcar booked SX in the system, but I don't know if this has anything to do with TPE or not.

sjpowermac

Established Member

Chris217

I have seen in Real Time Trains
Newcastle to Liverpool operated by TP.
Running as an ECS back and fore.
Usually stating cancelled between Newcastle and York.
Out of interest,I went out to see it and it was a 185?...what's the purpose of this.
Or is it supposed to be a 68 or something?

sjpowermac

Established Member
I have seen in Real Time Trains
Newcastle to Liverpool operated by TP.
Running as an ECS back and fore.
Usually stating cancelled between Newcastle and York.
Out of interest,I went out to see it and it was a 185?...what's the purpose of this.
Or is it supposed to be a 68 or something?
In posts #3685 and #3686 I’ve made a summary of the TPE Class 68 workings over the past week.

The 68s currently work light engine driver training between York and Scarborough, same between Crewe and Wavertree Junction, test runs Manchester-Carlisle-Bletchley.

Class 68 plus Mk5a are for Liverpool-Scarborough trains initially, with Middlesbrough following.

The original plan was for Liverpool-Newcastle turns, but that was dropped some time ago.

The paths you’ve seen might have been for the Nova 1 trains, there’s a thread for those here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tpe-nova-1-class-802-2-progress.163414/page-19

Hope that helps:)

Yep that was Set 11 out last night and should start FFR next week, Set 4 is finished with FFR and should be handed over next week but I’m not expecting it to move from MID straight away. Sets 7, 10 and 12 are either in the country or not far and should put in an appearance in the next couple of weeks.
There is/was a move planned from Portbury to Crewe South Yard Tuesday but I understand a paper work issue may prevent the move from happening.

dilbertphil

Can you go into any more detail about this rumour?

At the moment it's only workplace chat about some things which have filtered down about what's going on with the Mk5's , if it turns out to be true I'm sure more will come to peoples attention over the next couple of weeks.

hooverboy

On Moderation
At the moment it's only workplace chat about some things which have filtered down about what's going on with the Mk5's , if it turns out to be true I'm sure more will come to peoples attention over the next couple of weeks.
...well I'd guess we've got a similar scenario to the caledonian sleeper sets.

same wheelset/bogie design has filtered down and we've got a case of wheel flats under emergency braking(again)

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
There is some suggestion I hear that the Mk5As will end up going on to the Nottingham- Liverpool service, with more 802s eventually ordered for Scarborough and Middlesbrough services to give a standard fleet allowing for more diagramming flexibility especially considering the changes that have been necessary to turn round times post May18 fiasco.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There is some suggestion I hear that the Mk5As will end up going on to the Nottingham- Liverpool service, with more 802s eventually ordered for Scarborough and Middlesbrough services to give a standard fleet allowing for more diagramming flexibility especially considering the changes that have been necessary to turn round times post May18 fiasco.

I can understand extra 802s going on Scarborough / Middlesbrough but why would you then put Mk5As on Liverpool to Nottingham when 185s could be used instead? Probably wibble anyway. Would 68s be suitable for the Hope Valley given the operational restrictions on that line?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I can understand extra 802s going on Scarborough / Middlesbrough but why would you then put Mk5As on Liverpool to Nottingham when 185s could be used instead? Probably wibble anyway. Would 68s be suitable for the Hope Valley given the operational restrictions on that line?
Don't 185s have issues with weight on certain routes, or is it only LHCS affected by that?

sjpowermac

Established Member
68025 ‘Superb’ out today with, I think, TP11.

05:15 MID-Carlisle
08:12 Carlisle-Crewe

Looks to be booked

12:23 Crewe-MID

sjpowermac

Established Member
There is some suggestion I hear that the Mk5As will end up going on to the Nottingham- Liverpool service.
There has been a pretty extensive driver training programme conducted for York and Scarborough drivers. In addition, the Siemens Depot at York has had some fairy extensive work done in preparation for Nova 3, plus there’s the depot being built at Scarborough.

I’m not saying the Mk5a stock won’t ultimately be deployed elsewhere but I think at the moment the Liverpool-Scarborough service would be a priority, together with the cascade of Class 185s to the south TransPennine route.

Chris217

Any idea what these Glasgow- Liverpool Lime Street- Glasgow Central trains that show up on Real TimeTrains that never seems to run (as a TP service.)
Is this another Nova move which just runs when required?
Is this an actual service that supposed to have started with the new trains?
Thanks in advance

bengley

Established Member
Any idea what these Glasgow- Liverpool Lime Street- Glasgow Central trains that show up on Real TimeTrains that never seems to run (as a TP service.)
Is this another Nova move which just runs when required?
Is this an actual service that supposed to have started with the new trains?
Thanks in advance

They're the Liverpool to Scotland trains which didn't start running in May as planned - instead of removing them from the timetable they were kept in as ECS moves so the paths can be used for crew training I believe

dilbertphil

So it's been widely talked about at work today so I can expand a little on my previous post. Apparently the majority of Mk5's are to be placed in warm storage, 2 or 3 sets will enter service with only a limited number of drivers signing them at Picc and Scarborough. TPE have made enquiries for an additional order of 802's.
The quick fix that CAF said they could deliver has failed and i think that TPE have had enough.

samuelmorris

Established Member
So it's been widely talked about at work today so I can expand a little on my previous post. Apparently the majority of Mk5's are to be placed in warm storage, 2 or 3 sets will enter service with only a limited number of drivers signing them at Picc and Scarborough. TPE have made enquiries for an additional order of 802's.
The quick fix that CAF said they could deliver has failed and i think that TPE have had enough.
That's still going to be a fairly substantial lead time. Do they really think the Mk5As will take longer to introduce than having more 802s delivered, for which bodyshells have yet to be constructed? And if so, why are 2-3 units still being deployed? That doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, even if they do ultimately benefit from a slightly more standardised fleet.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Perhaps lead time is becoming less of an issue and thoughts are turning to when the fleet finally enter passenger service will they be up to the job. Delayed introduction is bad, constant problems following introduction resulting in a completely unacceptable service is worse.

Nymanic

Drifting away from topic slightly, could 13 Mk5A sets ever be enough to cover Manchester-Cleethorpes and Liverpool-Nottingham, in the longer term? End door issues aside, they'd be an ideal capacity uplift compared to 185s or 2x158, without the end gangway issues of paired-up 185s.

Two key issues would be the capacity drop compared to 2x185, and the question of where all those 185s would go.

Loco-hauled sets would not be permitted to run at Sprinter speeds through Hope Valley, but then neither are the 185s.

Any issues with the coaches were sorted weeks ago but the delay meant the instructors rosters required changing which required 6 weeks notice so they will be sat there for another 2 weeks

The 2 posts above are contradictory unless they refer to different issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.