• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just passed 1F62 running 8 late at Huddersfield. Very impressive looking, and much needed capacity boost. Loco was at Scarborough end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHodge

Happy to report that ASDO was successful though! Not sure why it was sent onto 12A unless the signaller assumed it was a 185
The signaller assumed that 1E25 was formed as a 185 unit. The driver working 1E25 did not question the platform when offered.

Mogz

As someone born and brought up on Merseyside, seeing brand new diesel hauled passenger trains with named locomotives at Lime Street brings a tear to the eye.

I never thought I’d see locos at Lime Street again.

Now we just need the same (with more carriages) for CrossCountry and my life will be complete!

37201xoIM

As someone born and brought up on Merseyside, seeing brand new diesel hauled passenger trains with named locomotives at Lime Street brings a tear to the eye.

I never thought I’d see locos at Lime Street again.

Now we just need the same (with more carriages) for CrossCountry and my life will be complete!
Agreed, as someone born and brought up in Newcastle... particularly so when said locos sound slightly like Deltics...

simple simon

5F48 05:06 Longsight-Manchester Vic
1F48 05:55 Manchester Vic-Liverpool LS
1E25 06:56 Liverpool LS-Scarborough
1F62 10:41 Scarborough-Liverpool LS
1E39 13:56 Liverpool LS-Scarborough
1F76 17:44 Scarborough -Liverpool LS
1J53 20:56 Liverpool LS-Stalybridge
5T53 21:57 Stalybridge-Longsight

How reliable is this service? To sample new trains (this one and a 331 between Doncaster & Leeds) I would be willing to spend what would probably be £60+ on a return ticket from London plus West Yorkshire DayRider (train only) ticket to travel on the 1F62 from Leeds to Huddersfield.

The timeframe I have in mind is next week (probably Wednesday). But, to travel all that way and spend all that money and not actually see the new trains will be a shame.

Maybe I should wait for later in the year?

xotGD

Established Member
How reliable is this service? To sample new trains (this one and a 331 between Doncaster & Leeds) I would be willing to spend what would probably be £60+ on a return ticket from London plus West Yorkshire DayRider (train only) ticket to travel on the 1F62 from Leeds to Huddersfield.

The timeframe I have in mind is next week (probably Wednesday). But, to travel all that way and spend all that money and not actually see the new trains will be a shame.

Maybe I should wait for later in the year?
I would wait. There will then be more than one 68 running plus 331s on Airedale and Wharfedale services, so more bang for your buck.

NewSt

Will the set be in service tomorrow? Hoping to take a ride from Liverpool at some point between 11am and 3pm.

Wharfe106

Just back home from my first Nova3 trip - Leeds to Victoria and back, although as already noted the return was delayed by over an hour due to the sad fatality (although I suspect the actual direct cause was the (short) time it took to get the path and crew set up, it was very confusing on Victoria station to hear the automated announcements saying trains form both the Leeds and Liverpool directions were delayed/canceled "due to emergency services attending an incident." But we did get an almost non stop run, with just one signal check the Leeds side of Brighouse, and Nova3s are even better than I had imagined.

But as a newbie to this forum I just want to thank all those who post such informative detail (and great photos!) which enabled me to plan this trip with confidence. I know some of the info gets pretty close to what employees may divulge, and as the admin guy said, don't take risks with the day job.

Thanks guys!!

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Yes had a bit of 68027 + Mk5a set TP09 Man Victoria - Lime Street & back today.
The Class 68s are great we already know that from Chiltern & Scotrail.

Quite impressed with the Mk5a vehicles. Not perfect as already mentioned by others but i could do a couple of hours or so on them, no problem.

Anyway it's about time we had some proper loco hauled trains back in the North. Look forward to a proper trip in the future.

20190829_134111 (2).jpg

20190829_152518 (3).jpg

66Yorks

Saw a Mark 5A set today. Loco and livery looked really good. Still not sure about the 'non-loco' end mind you.

AndrewE

Established Member
Saw a Mark 5A set today. Loco and livery looked really good. Still not sure about the 'non-loco' end mind you.
That's my opinion of the other end as well. Ugly things! The non-loco end still looks as though it's waiting for its cover/cladding yet (well it does when you are used to Pendolinos etc.)

tomglazed

Could they have got the none loco end to look almost the same as the class 68. Would have made sense.
I see what you are saying as for the foreseeable 68’s will be their loco but could become extra/unnecessary effort when ultimately the benefit of loco hauled coaches is that the loco can be changed more easily to a non-68 alternative thus rendering any efforts to match the design of a specific loco less productive.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Yes had a bit of 68027 + Mk5a set TP09 Man Victoria - Lime Street & back today.
The Class 68s are great we already know that from Chiltern & Scotrail.

Quite impressed with the Mk5a vehicles. Not perfect as already mentioned by others but i could do a couple of hours or so on them, no problem.

Anyway it's about time we had some proper loco hauled trains back in the North. Look forward to a proper trip in the future.

View attachment 67938

View attachment 67939
Top images and completely agree about loco haulage.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Regarding comments about the DT, I think it’s nicely styled, and looks purposeful. To be honest though, who really cares about that end? The only improvement I can suggest is a 68 on each end of the train;)

EE Andy b1

Established Member
The only improvement I can suggest is a 68 on each end of the train;)

I'm sure that will happen sometime in the future, when the DTs have little hick ups. ;);)

Did we ever find out if these sets could work with a Class 68 either end pushing and pulling together. :D 8-)

sjpowermac

Established Member
I'm sure that will happen sometime in the future, when the DTs have little hick ups. ;);)

Did we ever find out if these sets could work with a Class 68 either end pushing and pulling together. :D 8-)
Many, many moons ago I think it was stated that initially Mk5a would be top and tail, but I think that story was prior to the stock being built!

Status
Not open for further replies.