• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tpjm

I see the seat / window alignment is non-existent on the Mk5's!
Not this again!

There’s plenty of perfectly aligned seats on the train. Track back through the thread and I’m sure there’s even a map showing which ones are aligned and which are not...

MML

But at least these trains created employment in the UK manufacturing industry.
Oh wait a minute

Spartacus

Established Member
But at least these trains created employment in the UK manufacturing industry.
Oh wait a minute

Nobody manufacturing in Britain bid for the work.

Anyone have any more irrelevant old chestnuts they'd care to roll out? :s

ash39

Established Member
Not this again!

There’s plenty of perfectly aligned seats on the train. Track back through the thread and I’m sure there’s even a map showing which ones are aligned and which are not...

But most of them aren't, so the point is valid.

The mk5a stock offer by far the worst passenger experience of the 3 'Nova' types.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But most of them aren't, so the point is valid.

The mk5a stock offer by far the worst passenger experience of the 3 'Nova' types.

I'm not totally sure I agree. The window alignment is absolutely the worst (and is really quite lazy - even with constraints of a window layout designed for First Class they could have used strategically positioned airline seats or luggage racks to "correct" the layout once it went too far off), but the general "feel" of the stock is to me much higher quality than the other CAF kit, and the wide and slab-sided rather than narrow and tapered body gives a wonderful feeling of space. As I posted somewhere else, First Class felt like something really special.

I expected, say, to be wowed by the 195 but thought it was just "OK", nothing special. I expected to hate the Mk5a, but I was actually quite impressed. OK, this was in First, but I walked through the entirety of Standard looking for an empty double seat (there were none) before deciding to upgrade, and had a decent look at it as I did.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One of the Nova3 sets seems to have come to grief at Mirfield, heading West. It's been sat at or near the signal just beyond platform 2 for around half an hour. The service at local stations has gone up the wall, with the next local to Huddersfield cancelled. Already only one diagram on the Castleford flyer in operation today.

Now sheltering from the wind and rain in the Navvy, so can't provide further updates!

Halish Railway

Established Member
One of the Nova3 sets seems to have come to grief at Mirfield, heading West. It's been sat at or near the signal just beyond platform 2 for around half an hour. The service at local stations has gone up the wall, with the next local to Huddersfield cancelled. Already only one diagram on the Castleford flyer in operation today.

Now sheltering from the wind and rain in the Navvy, so can't provide further updates!
I’m on it now - We got stuck behind a failed 185 and had to reverse back to Ravensthorpe to take the slow line, now we’re stuck outside of Huddersfield - The Nova 3 is fine.

Spartacus

Established Member
I’m on it now - We got stuck behind a failed 185 and had to reverse back to Ravensthorpe to take the slow line, now we’re stuck outside of Huddersfield - The Nova 3 is fine.

Beat me to it, 185 come to grief, total loss of power.

Halish Railway

Established Member
RTT claims that 1F66 1234 Scarborough to Manchester Victoria was was cancelled between Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street due to a problem with the traction equipment, however, it was already planned to be turned at MCV due to its lateness, so I wouldn't read into this too much.

Here's the working - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y33140/2020-02-22/detailed

sjpowermac

Established Member
RTT claims that 1F66 1234 Scarborough to Manchester Victoria was was cancelled between Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street due to a problem with the traction equipment, however, it was already planned to be turned at MCV due to its lateness, so I wouldn't read into this too much.

Here's the working - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y33140/2020-02-22/detailed
Complete nonsense, there was nothing wrong with the loco or stock on 1F66. 68026 worked 1E43 16:31 Manchester Victoria to Scarborough, I saw the train departing from York. I would always take RTT (and TPE Journey Check!) with a pinch of salt:)

_toommm_

Established Member
Complete nonsense, there was nothing wrong with the loco or stock on 1F66. 68026 worked 1E43 16:31 Manchester Victoria to Scarborough, I saw the train departing from York. I would always take RTT (and TPE Journey Check!) with a pinch of salt:)

im guessing they put that code as their was a problem with the traction equipment, but not necessarily on that train. More of a half-truth really.

sjpowermac

Established Member
im guessing they put that code as their was a problem with the traction equipment, but not necessarily on that train. More of a half-truth really.
I see your point but ‘late arrival of the inbound service’ was the real reason, nothing at all wrong with the Nova 3.

Staffordian

They would be better leaving out the word “the”.
Just saying “due to a problem with traction equipment” would make it clearer that the equipment could be anywhere, and not just on the train concerned. The same applies to other messages such as “due to a problem with the brakes”.
The issue appears to be that the problem description applies to the cause of the primary delay, and this is also applied to any train suffering a secondary delay as a result.
I get the impression that most delays on busy networks are actually secondary delays, and as a result most reasons given for delays are potentially misleading.

_toommm_

Established Member
I see your point but ‘late arrival of the inbound service’ was the real reason, nothing at all wrong with the Nova 3.

I think I remember reading that late arrival of an inbound service is reserved for a subsequent cancellation as a result of a previous delay.

As Staffordian said, removing ‘the’ would clear the ambiguity or misrepresentation. Due to a problem with A train’ may be more fitting.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I think I remember reading that late arrival of an inbound service is reserved for a subsequent cancellation as a result of a previous delay.

As Staffordian said, removing ‘the’ would clear the ambiguity or misrepresentation. Due to a problem with A train’ may be more fitting.
All ways round, take the ‘reason’ given with a pinch of salt.

sjpowermac

Established Member

I’m not certain you are correct about the ‘YI’ code. 9M11 was caught up in the same disruption as 1F66 this afternoon and that’s shown as ‘cancelled between Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street due to the late arrival of an inbound service’.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y33784/2020-02-22/detailed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.