• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nicolaboo

68022 Resolution through Manchester Oxford Road at 12:07 today. It went through P3 coming from Crewe to Longsight. Unfortunately for me I was on a 319 on P4 and barely got a view as it was allowed through, holding up an already late service to the Airport.68022 OXsm.jpg

EE Andy b1

Established Member
68022 Resolution through Manchester Oxford Road at 12:07 today. It went through P3 coming from Crewe to Longsight. Unfortunately for me I was on a 319 on P4 and barely got a view as it was allowed through, holding up an already late service to the Airport.

I presume this was loco and Mk5a set ex Crewe!
Better off getting this through the station rather then signal to signal and delaying everything.

Question:-

Have any more new build TPE Mk5a sets arrived in the UK yet and if so where are they being stabled/stored and if not why not?

nicolaboo

I presume this was loco and Mk5a set ex Crewe!
Better off getting this through the station rather then signal to signal and delaying everything.

Question:-

Have any more new build TPE Mk5a sets arrived in the UK yet and if so where are they being stabled/stored and if not why not?
Yes it had come from to the the International depot.
From the mainline to Stockport you can see what looks like another set in the main Longsight depot (left as you leave Manchester) at the near end of the yard.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Looks like some route learning/driver training with TPE Class 68s between York and Scarborough on Saturday/Sunday/Monday. Diagrams similar to when this happened in June.

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
68023 and 68030 sat in Platform 2 at York having done two light engine trips to Scarborough. More trips scheduled for Sunday.

sjpowermac

Established Member
7F188876-46AD-4A2F-A0DD-D0F63BBF49EE.jpeg 68023 ‘Achilles’ at York on Sunday evening. The crowd rushing along the platform were from a late running TPE Class 185!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Any reason they've sent out two locomotives running as a pair for the driver training in York?

dilbertphil

An internal TPE fleet update informs staff that it "expects" the 68/Mk5a fleet to enter service in the new year.

_toommm_

Established Member
I heard they can be used in service from 11th November

I highly doubt it. They may be handed over to TPE officially on that date, but there's nowhere near enough experience on the 68s, let alone pulling the MK5As behind them.

TBSchenker

Apparently only two drivers (instructors) have experience with Mk5s, and I’m not sure any guards have been trained on the mk5s.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
I don't think we will now see Class 68s & Mk5a sets in service before the May 2019 timetable!
Never mind all the training that's required, and there's plenty by the sounds of it, i think TPE (First) would be scared out of business if bad winter Trans-Pennine weather affected there otherwise not very robust timetable! :rolleyes::D

AndrewE

Established Member
No mate, a whole host of announcements said 2017. Can't wait!
That date (Nov 2017) has already passed so maybe an out-of-date notice? I asked earlier how many running-in miles needed for how many sets, and how many test paths and drivers are available to do the number of train-miles needed?
I can't see the answer being "Enough!" Perhaps we should start a sweepstake on when the first ones will actually run in service and when the complete fleet will be available for use.

dilbertphil

Chat amongst various people at work is suggesting Feb/March as a good guess for them to be in passenger service.

AndrewE

Established Member
Chat amongst various people at work is suggesting Feb/March as a good guess for them to be in passenger service.
I take it that you mean "to start entering service?" Is 3 or 4 months adequate for the necessary number of proving train miles to be completed?

dilbertphil

I take it that you mean "to start entering service?" Is 3 or 4 months adequate for the necessary number of proving train miles to be completed?

Yes to start coming in, my own personal guess is they won't be a full fleet in service until well into 2019.

Ben Bow

There haven't been any runs with any mk.5 sets from Longsight since Monday 29 October. There is quite a backlog of TPE drivers now who have been trained on 68's, but are now waiting to complete their training with mk.5's when TPE have accepted them. Time is certainly slipping away if we are to see any mk.5's in service this year.

There haven't been any runs with any mk.5 sets from Longsight since Monday 29 October. There is quite a backlog of TPE drivers now who have been trained on 68's, but are now waiting to complete their training with mk.5's when TPE have accepted them. Time is certainly slipping away if we are to see any mk.5's in service this year.
there were some runs on the 30th & 31st
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P97017/2018/10/30/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P97020/2018/10/31/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K10552/2018/10/31/advanced

SP Man

This was that one doing brake test runs.

Attachments

• 20181031_002519.jpg
    20181031_002519.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
Coming to this thread late as not as active on here these days as I once was but, am I right in thinking that the MK3 plan has now been quietly dropped, following the whole wheelchairs controversy??
Many thanks in advance.

mikemcniven

Coming to this thread late as not as active on here these days as I once was but, am I right in thinking that the MK3 plan has now been quietly dropped, following the whole wheelchairs controversy??
Many thanks in advance.

It was publicly dropped following this lack of disabled access issue, Transpennine issued a statement quite a few months back saying it will now no longer happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.