• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
Apologies if I've missed something upthread, but how come it's only running as loco+4?
I think it is just the angle in the photos, if you look at the last one the DT is square on to the photographer thus appears not to be there.

Ben Bow

Those paths to Dony are confirmed as road learning trips, should be another one next Wednesday. A 68 is being used simply because its available, and the drivers involved sign the traction.

superalbs

Established Member
The videos make it look so stylish and classy, but it's all ruined by metro seats...what a waste.

Robert Mann

Amusing to see the destination display reading Bletchley for a test run!

That seemed particularly bizarre as the test run blatantly didn't go to Bletchley as it came back through not long after to head up to Manchester.

Also, I didn't catch it in any photos but a display on the side of the train was displaying the next stop as Polesworth

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The seats actually have tables, I saw them on the train doing the test run at Crewe yesterday.

They're still rubbish, though. Imagine how much better it would be with the Grammer ICE3000, or even the FISA LEAN which looks good (though I've not tried one). That'd make them the best new trains the UK had seen for over 40 years.

superalbs

Established Member
The seats actually have tables, I saw them on the train doing the test run at Crewe yesterday.
Not a reference to the layout (which will in fact have tables, if not already as you have said), but the actual seats which are used on metro/suburban systems in Spain, Netherlands, and Germany.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not a reference to the layout (which will in fact have tables, if not already as you have said), but the actual seats which are used on metro/suburban systems in Spain, Netherlands, and Germany.
If they're the same as the seats on some Barcelona suburban units, then they're fine on journeys of up to just over 3 hours.

Robert Mann

I didn't think they looked at all like metro style seats personally. There again, I don't have any experience of trains on the continent so only have what I've seen and experienced of seats on trains operating on UK metro systems.

Robert Mann

Apologies if I've missed something upthread, but how come it's only running as loco+4?

You actually got me thinking it was running as loco+4 for a moment. Checked another image i got though (I only posted a few samples before) and it's definitely loco+5. Clearly, the angle of that particular shot made it look that way.CreweRailStation2019.04.04-76.jpg

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Word is that the first set gets officially handed over to TPE next week (Friday 12th is the rumoured date), with the second set not long after.

Training for Drivers and Guards can then commence.

Seems the plan is to enter passenger service in July, once sufficient crews are trained.

jimm

Established Member
They're still rubbish, though. Imagine how much better it would be with the Grammer ICE3000, or even the FISA LEAN which looks good (though I've not tried one). That'd make them the best new trains the UK had seen for over 40 years.

Are you on a commission from Grammer to mention their seats in as many threads as possible on this forum every day?

You may like them. Others loathe them - just like any type of seat ever fitted to a train gets chalk and cheese reactions from different people.

anamyd

On Moderation
Are you on a commission from Grammer to mention their seats in as many threads as possible on this forum every day?

You may like them. Others loathe them - just like any type of seat ever fitted to a train gets chalk and cheese reactions from different people.
Yeah I love those strange Grammer seats that want you to sit in an odd position. The train in my avatar has them fitted and I just don't get them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Whatever you'd choose to replace them, a seat where even only the heaviest passenger can feel a steel bar through the base is simply not fit for purpose.

Fixing it would require a very simple design change - a flat piece of plastic, metal or plywood (as appropriate for fire regs) on the bottom of the base cushion, as all other rail seats have without exception.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Booked for Friday 12th April 2019 is 0P68 05:10 Longsight to Scarborough (TransPennine operated).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/N31784/2019/04/12/advanced

In the past this path has been a reliable runner for switching over the driver training locos.

Oddly this time there’s no balancing working, but maybe that will appear later.

Down as a light loco, but it would be nice if that got amended;)

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member

The_Train

Established Member

K.o.R

Been some movement about today. Been a Class 68 swap between Manchester International and Crewe with 68026 returning to Crewe (I presume for exam) and see here passing though Gatley

Transpennine Express 68026
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

Around 5 minutes later 68030 'Black Douglas' passed through with an unknown MK5a set after doing MID - Carlisle - Crewe - MID again seen at Gatley

Transpennine Express 68030

Transpennine Express MK5a

Interesting that the DT has separate LED markers and conventional headlights, whereas the 68 just has (crazy bright) LEDs for everything.

sjpowermac

Established Member
1189EBC3-8327-4D47-9EA4-FA916998755D.jpeg 68032 ‘Destroyer’ at York 12th April 2019 on 0P68 05:10 Longsight to Scarborough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.