• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Staffordian

I have a few times. It can happen - greasy rails, ice or the driver simply forgetting to stop and throwing the brakes in at the last minute on realising.
Quite possibly the latter, as I believe the Stalybridge stop was only introduced on the Scarborough-Liverpool trains with the December t/t change, and drivers still getting used to it.

D6700

all the 68s face towards Scarborough
I'm not sure if you mean all the time, or just yesterday. Either way, that's not the case - the trains can be either way. The variation is such that people often report on gen groups which way round sets are, to help those going out to make photo's.

Yesterday and today, 68027 was at the Liverpool end of its train (I watched it leave York this evening). On Monday, I travelled from Liverpool to York with 68022, which was pushing the train.

Here's a lovely photo I've found of 68027 yesterday (quickly checks to see if photo's are allowed here)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/169014554@N07/49405927622/

tpjm

I’m guessing it was towards Manchester, all the 68s face towards Scarborough
Units are running around in either formation at the moment. Long term goal is to get the 68s facing west in order to standardise the coach formation/orientation across all types.

IamTrainsYT

I'm not sure if you mean all the time, or just yesterday. Either way, that's not the case - the trains can be either way. The variation is such that people often report on gen groups which way round sets are, to help those going out to make photo's.

Yesterday and today, 68027 was at the Liverpool end of its train (I watched it leave York this evening). On Monday, I travelled from Liverpool to York with 68022, which was pushing the train.

Here's a lovely photo I've found of 68027 yesterday (quickly checks to see if photo's are allowed here)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/169014554@N07/49405927622/
i havent come across one facing the other direction yet. seen most of the sets in service now

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned a while back (possibly in this thread) that the default orientation of the Nova3 sets was with the 68 at the Western (Liverpool/Manchester Airport) end. If that is still the aim, it doesn't seem to be strictly enforced.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've observed 68's at Stalybridge heading East in both leading and trailing confirmation
That's my point really: it was stated that the DTS was supposed to be at the Scarborough/Redcar end of the formation but this seems to only be the case about 50% of the time. Though as long as the PIS on stations is correct it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

xotGD

Established Member
Though as long as the PIS on stations is correct it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
'First Class passengers are advised to stand in the middle of the platform then leg it in the appropriate direction'

There's never any info at Leeds as to which way round TPE services are facing.

_toommm_

Established Member
'First Class passengers are advised to stand in the middle of the platform then leg it in the appropriate direction'

There's never any info at Leeds as to which way round TPE services are facing.

Same at Victoria too.

The 185s were the worst in the evening as I tried to squint to see whether the couple had a yellow plate on denoting first class at that end or not.

AndrewE

Established Member
Maybe it's now time to give Scarborough its DMU shuttle and keep proper trains on routes where they will be stabled in secure depots? (Half-joking!)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
how vandalized? spray paint? smashed windows? any further details anyone?

68021 and set TP12 had graffiti below the windows on two coaches below the window line when it was cancelled at Manchester Victoria on Sunday morning.

PennineSuperb

Maybe it's now time to give Scarborough its DMU shuttle and keep proper trains on routes where they will be stabled in secure depots? (Half-joking!)
The first one that originally got sprayed was sprayed in the depot. The vandals actually dug the ballast out from under the fence to get in. That is some commitment

realnovice

Seems a bit soft not running a set just because it has graffiti on. Last summer in Spain we travelled on EMUs which had graffiti on and we got A to B. As long as it isn't offensive why can't it run until its cleaned off?

a_c_skinner

Established Member
One of the best ways to deter is not to run units with graffti. It isn't intuitive but it has worked in other places I understand.

Seems a bit soft not running a set just because it has graffiti on. Last summer in Spain we travelled on EMUs which had graffiti on and we got A to B. As long as it isn't offensive why can't it run until its cleaned off?
Yes... the whole point of these "tags" is so that people see them. If they spend all that time doing them and then they are immediately removed it sort of defeats the object for them.

DannyMich2018

Yes of course it's appalling to have these trains tagged and no one should tolerate vandalism, however there are only 4 out 13 sets in daily use so TPE cannot use this as an excuse for any less use! They might have to try and use the others more now for a few days while these are cleaned.

SuperNova

Yes of course it's appalling to have these trains tagged and no one should tolerate vandalism, however there are only 4 out 13 sets in daily use so TPE cannot use this as an excuse for any less use! They might have to try and use the others more now for a few days while these are cleaned.

13 sets have not been accepted

D6700

And not even any good at what they do...

Perhaps they know it - hence the need to practice again and again :(

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given that LNR (or NR) seem to be able to pay for 2 security guards to hang around at the barrier line chatting to staff, sorry, patrol the fast lines and prevent suicides at most south WCML stations, surely TPE could afford a security guard or two to prevent this sort of thing?

Roger B

Given that LNR (or NR) seem to be able to pay for 2 security guards to hang around at the barrier line chatting to staff, sorry, patrol the fast lines and prevent suicides at most south WCML stations, surely TPE could afford a security guard or two to prevent this sort of thing?
Perhaps TPE lack confidence that presence of such persons would be a deterrent - particularly if said persons were not particularly zealous about their duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.