• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

37201xoIM

I've seen capes reported as a train / traction equipment fault when it was actually non-availability of a crew member (don't know which) who signed Mark 5As.

To be fair, I am getting the impression (at the risk of tempting the gods!) that actually after their incredibly slow start, these sets seem to be suffering a fairly low level of failures in service? (To be fair, I'm used to doing the Cumbrian Coast.........) Plainly the 68s are sound machines (in more senses than one!), but I think the stock seems reasonably sorted now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Erniescooper

I've seen capes reported as a train / traction equipment fault when it was actually non-availability of a crew member (don't know which) who signed Mark 5As.

To be fair, I am getting the impression (at the risk of tempting the gods!) that actually after their incredibly slow start, these sets seem to be suffering a fairly low level of failures in service? (To be fair, I'm used to doing the Cumbrian Coast.........) Plainly the 68s are sound machines (in more senses than one!), but I think the stock seems reasonably sorted now?
The last set of reliability figures released was for Railway Period 10 and Mk5a/68 was 20597 miles between technical incident which in simple English works out to two delays in a four week period.

Class455

Established Member
Beat me to it, 185 come to grief, total loss of power.
1M72 12:07 Redcar Central to Manchester Airport was the train that came to grief, I saw the 185 behind it, on 1P35 (I think it was) attached to the back of the stricken unit when I passed it and then taken into Huddersfield where it was terminated. I did see the Nova 3 stuck just outside Mirfield station
Any idea which 185 was the one that broke down?

PennineSuperb

1M72 12:07 Redcar Central to Manchester Airport was the train that came to grief, I saw the 185 behind it, on 1P35 (I think it was) attached to the back of the stricken unit when I passed it and then taken into Huddersfield where it was terminated. I did see the Nova 3 stuck just outside Mirfield station
Any idea which 185 was the one that broke down?

Class455

Established Member
If I remember correctly that was the unit which caught fire on the Croxdale Viaduct a few months ago so that really isn't good.
185147 also had issues on Wednesday when it pulled into Huddersfield with smoke filling two carriages with an evening Manchester Airport to York service. With the train being held at Huddersfield for some time two out of the three engines were shut down and the train continued on one engine to York. 185151 was also in service with most of the doors on the right hand side out of order!

This is probably why we're getting trains being cancelled due to "more trains than usual needing repair at the same time" as it seems the 185's are having quite a few issues.

Last edited:

hibtastic

To be fair the 185s have been run fairly hard recently to cover for all the new trains that are taking longer to come into service. I’d imagine they will need a bit more TLC when there is more slack in the fleet over the next few months.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Tbh given the location of the stopped Nova3 yesterday, my first thought was another person hit by train incident... it was only the lack of any emergency services or any attention being paid by folk waiting on the island platform that reassured me.

37201xoIM

The last set of reliability figures released was for Railway Period 10 and Mk5a/68 was 20597 miles between technical incident which in simple English works out to two delays in a four week period.

That's very good for a fleet so recently introduced into service, not far behind the 185s.
I agree: that is extremely good indeed for such a young fleet - cf. class 80X across operators, and, I suspect, likely better than 185s will be managing nowadays. (For reference, HSTs have tended to be around the 10k mark - and Pacers about typically 4-5,000 MTIN!)

(As many of us predicted, the increased pressure on the 185 fleet is seemingly taking its toll, or at least that's the impression I get.)

As a jaded and fatuous LHCS fan, I am pleased and relieved!

Last edited:

Goldie

These things really are a massive step up from the 185s - quieter, not as drafty and big enough (at my end of the line at any rate!) for the numbers who want use them. It is a genuine treat to walk onto the platform and realise that you'll be travelling on one.

49584697448_495577bfb0_b.jpg

tpjm

But still only 4 circuits in operation... Shambolic.
Enthusiasts might be wetting themselves, passengers are weeping!
Shambolic for Mk5a but there’s now a sizeable proportion of the Class 802 diagrams moved over.

If you’re a regular reader of this thread you’ll know that crew training for Cl802 was prioritised due to the timetable requirements and if they tried to train all three fleets at once, the network would grind to a halt!

Gadget88

The Nova trains are a bit nicer. The seats look like they will get dirty easy but seems more seats. Pretty empty going up to Scotland but the Transpenine ones are very busy in around Leeds. Quite funny to see newer trains with a loco hauling it quite a noise. Bit old school.

scarby

Had my first ride out of Scarborough on one yesterday and I must say I was most impressed. Had a 1st class advance to Manchester, so in the seats right at the front.

First class quite quiet and a superb experience - a real inter-city feel to the journey.

Never thought there would be regular loco-hauled workings out of Scarborough again and it's terrific. As mentioned though, very disappointing for regular passengers that after all this time they still aren't on all services.

37201xoIM

Shambolic for Mk5a but there’s now a sizeable proportion of the Class 802 diagrams moved over.

If you’re a regular reader of this thread you’ll know that crew training for Cl802 was prioritised due to the timetable requirements and if they tried to train all three fleets at once, the network would grind to a halt!
And I am told that the 802 training itself programme is a continuing shambles that is also massively behind - hence the pulling of Mk5 training?

tpjm

And I am told that the 802 training itself programme is a continuing shambles that is also massively behind - hence the pulling of Mk5 training?
Not really the right thread to be discussing this in, but as previously stated, training Mk5a and Cl802 at the same time was never part of the original plan. The delayed acceptance of the Mk5a stock has meant that squadron training would align with Cl802. Given that Mk5a diagrams can easily be operated my Cl185 (in terms of max speed), this has meant that in the East, Cl802 has a higher priority. On the West, Class 397 is the focus with the Cl350 hand-back overdue, so it's not like there's even capacity to train on that side. And no - the current training plans for 397/802 are not a 'massively behind shambles'. The temporary withdrawal of some services allowed a massive proportion of the depots in the East to receive training on Cl802.

37201xoIM

OK, thanks for that helpful info. Any feel as to the end date for the bulk of the 802 programme?

[Edit:] But hang on, just thinking about this further: is it not the case that things have slipped further since the Dec 19 assumptions on the 802 programme? We were told that during the Dec 19 TT's life the Mk5 diagrams would gradually increase as 802 training progressed / concluded - but now I understand there won't be any more until well after May. I have heard from various sources that the programme has indeed slipped. Very happy to be corrected where I have wrong info, of course!

geoffk

Established Member
Is all the new TPE stock being sidelined for the duration of the Covid-19 emergency? Makes sense as there's so little traffic and a reduced timetable and all TPE drivers are trained on 185s. What about the Edinburgh/Glasgow services?

59CosG95

Established Member
Is all the new TPE stock being sidelined for the duration of the Covid-19 emergency? Makes sense as there's so little traffic and a reduced timetable and all TPE drivers are trained on 185s. What about the Edinburgh/Glasgow services?
I believe all services on the northern WCML are 397-operated, and restricted to Preston - Edinburgh only, running approx. every 2 hours.

Besides, as per @mikemcniven's edit above, the set was TP02 - which hasn't even entered service yet. Its fault-free running must have been completed, and so its storage in Gascoigne Wood is only temporary until a full timetable is restored on the TPE network.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member

Scarborough to Liverpool is still being covered by MK5a coaches, and Newcastle to Liverpool is still being covered by 802s, as are the limited Newcastle to Edinburgh runs (although I’m not sure if Scarborough and Newcastle is guaranteed to be their respective new train - Newcastle to Edinburgh has to be an 802).

Hull, Redcar and Cleethorpes are of course all still 185s.

AndyHudds

My commute to Leeds from Huddersfield is the 7.01 service which is the Scarborough service which is a 68 and the 17.00 service to Lime Street is an 802, this has been everyday since the new timetable started, aside from initially it was two 185's together in the 'am'.

Status
Not open for further replies.