• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thought the refresher trips were just York to Scarborough, with the runs on the west side being more for fault finding and fault-free mileage accumulation.

At a guess, drivers will all be passed out on the locos (even needing the refreshers) but not on the Driving Trailers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

I have to agree here - it's nice seeing the occasional photo but (especially on a poor internet connection) I think there are too many photos which don't add anything to the thread. Presumably you guys have a twitter or Flickr account which you can share the link to and then post the photos on there?

I've no real objection to these photos which I'm sure many enjoy seeing but I do feel that there are some who could do with learning a bit of 'netiquette'.
Not everyone will be looking at this forum on a PC with a decent broadband connection. Some, myself included as I write this, will be using mobile data which is limited and can be expensive so having to download images over 3000 pixels wide could easily be seen as wasteful.

Most devices allow images to be reduced in size before uploading and it is generally accepted that well compressed jpegs of around 1000 or 1500 px will look perfectly Ok and what's more, not using up other's data with oversized images is simple good manners. If you really do want to make high quality imagery available then get a Flickr or similar account and posting a thumbnail and a link is the way to go. That will keep everyone happy.

For those who really don't want to see these posts there's always the forum's 'ignore' button. I find that judicious use of that along with AdBlock is very helpful in making many forums much easier to cope with.;)

Ben Bow

Thought the refresher trips were just York to Scarborough, with the runs on the west side being more for fault finding and fault-free mileage accumulation.

At a guess, drivers will all be passed out on the locos (even needing the refreshers) but not on the Driving Trailers?

No drivers have been trained on mk.5's (including driving trailers) yet, the first instructors are just going through their initial training so that they can deliver the mk.5 course.

Ben Bow

I've no real objection to these photos which I'm sure many enjoy seeing but I do feel that there are some who could do with learning a bit of 'netiquette'.
Not everyone will be looking at this forum on a PC with a decent broadband connection. Some, myself included as I write this, will be using mobile data which is limited and can be expensive so having to download images over 3000 pixels wide could easily be seen as wasteful.

Most devices allow images to be reduced in size before uploading and it is generally accepted that well compressed jpegs of around 1000 or 1500 px will look perfectly Ok and what's more, not using up other's data with oversized images is simple good manners. If you really do want to make high quality imagery available then get a Flickr or similar account and posting a thumbnail and a link is the way to go. That will keep everyone happy.

For those who really don't want to see these posts there's always the forum's 'ignore' button. I find that judicious use of that along with AdBlock is very helpful in making many forums much easier to cope with.;)

As I said upthread, log out and you won't get the photos, just thumbnails. You can still read the forum.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No drivers have been trained on mk.5's (including driving trailers) yet, the first instructors are just going through their initial training so that they can deliver the mk.5 course.
I assume that part of the Mk5a training will cover any differences in how the 68s behave when coupled to a Mk5a set? I'm thinking along the lines of TMS (Train Management System) and gaining interlock after a station call.

InOban

Established Member
To be pedantic, the title of this thread is Mk5 coaching stock, so posts and picture of 68s on their own are off topic.

InOban

Established Member
And while I'm here, I assume that only the first few sets have to complete the full FFR distance?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
I assume that part of the Mk5a training will cover any differences in how the 68s behave when coupled to a Mk5a set? I'm thinking along the lines of TMS (Train Management System) and gaining interlock after a station call.

There will be classroom and static training for drivers and a lesser extent guards for all operational and fault finding of both the Class 68 and Mk5a sets.
Drivers will also need train handling and systems operation in service, TMS, ASDO (Automatic Selective Door Operation) and manual operation as well.
I think it was mentioned about 16 days for driver training.

aleggatta

To be pedantic, the title of this thread is Mk5 coaching stock, so posts and picture of 68s on their own are off topic.
here here! ;)
As I said upthread, log out and you won't get the photos, just thumbnails. You can still read the forum.
thats a really 'not my problem guv' response, and in no way contributes to the thread in any helpful way, a bit like me saying upload it to a proper photo sharing site (i.e. flikr etc) and post a link to the thread! but of course you are saying the problem is solved by me doing something (logging out) and I am saying the problem is solved by someone else doing something (being more courteous in how they post content on the internet), however until some sort of moderator comes along and contributes some guidance on this we are just going to sit here going tit for tat!

Ben Bow

The problem of slow downloads and using
here here! ;)

thats a really 'not my problem guv' response, and in no way contributes to the thread in any helpful way, a bit like me saying upload it to a proper photo sharing site (i.e. flikr etc) and post a link to the thread! but of course you are saying the problem is solved by me doing something (logging out) and I am saying the problem is solved by someone else doing something (being more courteous in how they post content on the internet), however until some sort of moderator comes along and contributes some guidance on this we are just going to sit here going tit for tat!

The problem of slow downloads and using large amounts of data on photos is solved by logging out. Its your choice. Some people are pleased to see the photos, and the facility is there to be used, so why should they be disadvantaged because another user isn't prepared to adopt a very simple solution to their problem? What are you going to lose by logging out? Its interesting that most people who are complaining don't contribute much of interest to this thread, except to moan.... which isn't very helpful at all.

AndrewE

Established Member
TPE knew in November that the mk.5's would be delayed but pressed on with 68 driver training anyway, even starting courses for York drivers in January. Some Manchester drivers are now on to their 7th or 8th refresh trip, and because they don't sign the route used (Crewe to Wavertree) they need a second driver who does to route conduct them. You couldn't make it up.
Pity they didn't use the Mk 3 stock they have on lease then, they could have been running l/h stock across the Pennines for something like 2 years now, with major benefits for their passengers too. (Does anybody here ever think of them while drooling over what is really just another powered box on wheels with a different name on it?)
It has been suggested on one of these threads that TPE's traffic / revenue has fallen off a cliff: I'm not surprised, as nowadays I go any way I can to avoid the Manchester to Leeds core if at all possible.
As I and others have said, this thread is about the introduction of Mk 5a coaching stock: Let's hope that we get a steady flow of info that seems to be leading toward its actual introduction. We know the engines work (most of the time) Just give us some trains in service please!

sjpowermac

Established Member
‘Loco-spotters’ only for this post...;)

68031 ‘Felix’ worked 05:19 MID to Carlisle and 07:57 Carlisle to Crewe Down Refuge Siding. Currently working 12:21 Crewe Down RS to MID. Train looks to be Freightliner operated, so I assume Fault Free Running with TP04.

The trips booked for Tuesday 5E68 Eccles to Scarborough and 5P68 Scarborough to Crewe CS will be significant as the first TPE operated Nova 3 trains east of the Pennines.

If anyone sees 5E68 en-route, please give me a shout, that way I can avoid offending the more sensitive forum members and get a picture without the 68;)

Sleeperwaking

If anyone sees 5E68 en-route, please give me a shout, that way I can avoid offending the more sensitive forum members and get a picture without the 68;)
I quite enjoyed the recent post from @mikemcniven (from memory) where he got a photo of both the 68 end AND the DT end of the train... ;) *ducks back under my rock*

How many are there still to be built? 13 sets of 5 ordered and the same few keep getting the testing. Unbelievable to think TPE thought they'd get these in service quickly looking back.
I very much doubt there are actually anymore sets to be built, there appears to be nowhere to store them in the UK so I assume they are sat complete in Spain awaiting for the sets that are here to enter traffic to free up the space at Longsight / Crewe before being delivered. Its been reported elsewhere that there are 2 sets at Portbury and they have been there a number of weeks although I've not seen any photographic evidence to confirm this.

Of interest was 68025 being allocated to set TPE11 a couple of days last week in trust however that isn't one of the sets currently at Crewe or Longsight.

It has been suggested on one of these threads that TPE's traffic / revenue has fallen off a cliff: I'm not surprised, as nowadays I go any way I can to avoid the Manchester to Leeds core if at all possible
excellent at least the cranks will be able to get seats then once the 68s & Mk5A sets finally enter service :D

All they do need to do is bring out a rover that actually covers the full routes the 68s & Mk5A's will work on and their revenue will go up too, at the minute they are likely to lose out as any cranks wanting to do them throughout would need to buy a North East & a North West Rover to cover the full routes so they will only get a percentage of ticket sales rather than pocketing the lot.

Last edited:

sjpowermac

Established Member
I very much doubt there are actually anymore sets to be built, there appears to be nowhere to store them in the UK so I assume they are sat complete in Spain awaiting for the sets that are here to enter traffic to free up the space at Longsight / Crewe before being delivered. Its been reported elsewhere that there are 2 sets at Portbury and they have been there a number of weeks although I've not seen any photographic evidence to confirm this.

Of interest was 68025 being allocated to set TPE11 a couple of days last week in trust however that isn't one of the sets currently at Crewe or Longsight.

Post from 9th May:
Set 6 hopefully handed over Wednesday
Set 4 FFR Monday
Set 1 and 3 at Longsight
Set 2 and 5 Crewe South Yard
Everything else is in Spain and next delivery at end of May

I think Set 6 has now been handed over, not sure if anything else has arrived just yet.

ashkeba

Established Member
But if you don't want them to download, simply log out of the forum and then they won't - you will just get a small thumbnail. You can still read the thread to take the information you want when you're logged out,
But you'll end up downloading it every time because the "new posts" and "first unread" features don't work when logged out.

It would probably be less work for the photographers just to link to their gallery or image hosting site instead of pasting in photos.

As a last resort, readers may be able to switch their browser to "no images" but that is a very stripped down experience with even little helper icons vanishing

Jamesrob637

Established Member
excellent at least the cranks will be able to get seats then once the 68s & Mk5A sets finally enter service :D

All they do need to do is bring out a rover that actually covers the full routes the 68s & Mk5A's will work on and their revenue will go up too, at the minute they are likely to lose out as any cranks wanting to do them throughout would need to buy a North East & a North West Rover to cover the full routes so they will only get a percentage of ticket sales rather than pocketing the lot.

A TPE-only rover may be good even if £40 or so for the day? I would have to pay a nominal amount to get to the TPE network but it'd be viable in my eyes

Post from 9th May:
Set 6 hopefully handed over Wednesday
Set 4 FFR Monday
Set 1 and 3 at Longsight
Set 2 and 5 Crewe South Yard
Everything else is in Spain and next delivery at end of May
I think Set 6 has now been handed over, not sure if anything else has arrived just yet.
Thanks, I didn't go back far enough to see this.

Erniescooper

Post from 9th May:

Set 6 is handed over and TP11 is supposed to be the next arrival at some point next week. I understand some UK storage has been found and hopefully there should be more arrivals soon. Apologies sjpowermac I’m pretty certain tomorrow’s Scarborough run isn’t happening.

xotGD

Established Member
I quite enjoyed the recent post from @mikemcniven (from memory) where he got a photo of both the 68 end AND the DT end of the train... ;) *ducks back under my rock*
What madness is this, taking a photograph of the wrong end of the train?

I'm sure nobody used to take shots of the guard's van at the back of a retreating freight train!

Sleeperwaking

What madness is this, taking a photograph of the wrong end of the train?

I'm sure nobody used to take shots of the guard's van at the back of a retreating freight train!
You should have finished your post after the first sentence, then everyone would have assumed you agreed with them, and then hilarity would have ensued. Disappoint. :(

sjpowermac

Established Member
Set 6 is handed over and TP11 is supposed to be the next arrival at some point next week. I understand some UK storage has been found and hopefully there should be more arrivals soon. Apologies sjpowermac I’m pretty certain tomorrow’s Scarborough run isn’t happening.
Thank you very much, as always, for the update about the sets, and the shout about tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.