• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be guard and instructor driver pass outs on both those days trains from coast to coast.

So, more staff trained, all good.

It now means that seeing the trains in service is getting closer :)

Fixed for you. No link drivers have touched a Mk5 YET...but that will change very very soon. However instructor drivers need to drive over Pennines too so I'm hoping the date we have still stands.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BMIFlyer

Its absolutely not "all good" - the way both passengers and staff are being treated over this is nothing short of a disgrace. Selling tickets and reservations for services which TPE know are going to be cancelled is tantamount to fraud, in my opinion. Not telling traincrew involved in working the original trains until the last minute that their service is cancelled, and making them work enforced overtime to get home, is destroying any remaining vestiges of goodwill that survived last year's timetable debacle. If service train paths have to be used, as there is no alternative, then that is regrettable, but understandable, but failure to inform both pax and staff of the alterations, and carry on as though the services will be provided until the last minute, is most definitely not acceptable.

Hang on. The two paths on Mon and Tues this coming week aren’t using passenger train paths. That’s what I’m referring to.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Its absolutely not "all good" - the way both passengers and staff are being treated over this is nothing short of a disgrace. Selling tickets and reservations for services which TPE know are going to be cancelled is tantamount to fraud, in my opinion. Not telling traincrew involved in working the original trains until the last minute that their service is cancelled, and making them work enforced overtime to get home, is destroying any remaining vestiges of goodwill that survived last year's timetable debacle. If service train paths have to be used, as there is no alternative, then that is regrettable, but understandable, but failure to inform both pax and staff of the alterations, and carry on as though the services will be provided until the last minute, is most definitely not acceptable.

TPE aren't selling tickets for services they know are going to be cancelled, the one path they used where a service was cancelled was simply an opportunity for a training path along one of the North's most congested routes.

sjpowermac

Established Member
68026 on 5E31 this morning. The other part of the story is the 11:47 York to Scarborough cancelled, a replacement bus from the front of the station...
C13FE567-33DF-4AB8-918C-3DC61704F9C5.jpeg 14127030-602A-4A9B-A670-5337D14349F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 4F755DFD-1F49-4D3C-A737-7BC71D169F3A.jpeg
    4F755DFD-1F49-4D3C-A737-7BC71D169F3A.jpeg
    938.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Ben Bow

TPE aren't selling tickets for services they know are going to be cancelled, the one path they used where a service was cancelled was simply an opportunity for a training path along one of the North's most congested routes.

Oh yes they are, as of 18.30 on Thursday it was still possible to buy tickets on the TPE website for Friday's 09.56 departure from Liverpool to Scarborough. This is despite there being a plan in place to cancel the service to provide the path for the Nova 3 since at least Wednesday. This isn't utilising a vacant path caused by some other cancellation, this is deliberately cancelling services which would otherwise have run to create a path, so far that is 5 services. As I said, regrettable, but understandable if there is absolutely no other option. Its the treatment of pax and staff which is not acceptable. I understand there is more of the same to come next week.

sjpowermac

Established Member
5F68 13:44 Scarborough to Liverpool Lime Street crossing Scarborough Bridge, York, with the Minster (just!) visible in the background.
04545DC2-4CF3-4444-95B3-46A8C492557A.jpeg

sjpowermac

Established Member
Lovely shot. These need to enter traffic soon, especially for Summer Saturday services.
Thank you, I’m delighted you like the picture.

Agreed about the Nova 3 needing to be in traffic. It would be great if they could run them before the end of the summer holidays:)

FFFC 57

Yes but my point was 5,6 & 7 Up sidings were being made fit (supposedly) for TPE Mk5a use. Not used yet that i know of.

2,3, & 4 Up are normally for Class 323s and 390s. I believe Northern will be moving out eventually.

Some sets were going into secure storage i believe, 3 at Crewe but none have yet.
You maybe pleased to know a Mk5 set is currently stabled on 5UP :D

nedchester

Established Member
Oh yes they are, as of 18.30 on Thursday it was still possible to buy tickets on the TPE website for Friday's 09.56 departure from Liverpool to Scarborough. This is despite there being a plan in place to cancel the service to provide the path for the Nova 3 since at least Wednesday. This isn't utilising a vacant path caused by some other cancellation, this is deliberately cancelling services which would otherwise have run to create a path, so far that is 5 services. As I said, regrettable, but understandable if there is absolutely no other option. Its the treatment of pax and staff which is not acceptable. I understand there is more of the same to come next week.

I’m sure a seaside resort is quiet on a sunny summer Saturday in August and the passengers won’t mind a two hour gap in services....or if they go on the bus it’ll be as quick as the train........York and the A64 are really quiet on a Saturday.........

BMIFlyer

I've heard that TPE are gonna put a MK5 into service starting from the 26th and ending on the 30th... Can anyone shed any light please? Gen from a contact at Longsight.

“Gen”

Wish people would stop spreading rumours. I can tell you for certain the answer is no. Not enough staff trained yet!

sjpowermac

Established Member
I don’t have any inside knowledge, but what I can tell you is that since June there have been various times when 5E23 has been shown as coming off Longsight, then a few days before it was due to happen the working has reverted to Ardwick.

Maybe a little more promising is if you look further ahead to 9th September then 5E23 is shown as working off Longsight and it’s no longer a ‘VAR’ path, rather it looks like a booked path. I wouldn’t take that as gospel though;)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...09/09/0530?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt&toc=TP

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if TPE did run the 68 + stock in that path on 31st August with a driver instructor just so they could claim they did introduce them in the summer. TPE make the banks look trustworthy.

mike57

Established Member
Whilst not wishing to get drawn into the rights and wrongs of cancelling 1E31; I observed 1E33 (the following Scarborough service) at York and it was ‘full and standing’. Train formed of 185126/185140, rear unit locked out (not questioning the reason for that) but it did lead to conditions that looked very unpleasant. Train stood at York for ten minutes whilst the guard and platform dispatch did their best to get everyone on after they had trailed all the way from platform 5 over to 4. Many had suitcases and I did feel rather sorry for them standing in the rain trying to squeeze on a rammed train.

Regarding ‘there’s no paths over the Pennines’, yes it is a very busy route but on 19th July there was a TPE operated 5E68 that left Liverpool about half an hour ahead of the first passenger service and operated over the usual route to Scarborough, with station stops too. The return was routed to avoid Leeds and I do understand that overnight runs are not ideal due to the regular diversions from the core route.

I had the misfortune to join this service at Malton. Two doors completely obstructed with suitcases, not one or two probably 10 or 15 in each doorway. It is totally unacceptable to cancel York Scarborough services in order to provide training paths. Surely TPE must have been required to provide details of how they intended to do training on new stock when the franchise was let. York - Scarborough is as others have said is now deteriorating towards the low point of last May, and further cancellations to allow training to take place is just crazy.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
TPE just have not got enough resources it would seem, whether that be train crew, rolling stock or management that will come out and tell the true situation.
They need staff trained and obviously can't run what is already a poor service so have to cancel if need be to meet training requirements.
I wonder if so called leaders in the North or even DfT know the full situation.

Hopefully though TPE will get enough staff trained to run some new trains just in time for Winter, when I'm sure the load will be lightened, on trains and resources abeling them to fully train staff for May 2020 timetable.

D6700

I’m sure a seaside resort is quiet on a sunny summer Saturday in August and the passengers won’t mind a two hour gap in services....or if they go on the bus it’ll be as quick as the train........York and the A64 are really quiet on a Saturday.........

And the BBC Countryfile Live event at Castle Howard has put the A64 under even more pressure than usual over the last few days...

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/17843987.bus-firm-apologises-a64-hit-long-traffic-queues/

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I wonder if so called leaders in the North or even DfT know the full situation.
TfN almost certainly don't seeing as TPE told them just a month or so ago that all new rolling stock would be in service this year. This was at the same time they were originally planning to move some Mk5a's to Longtown for storage.

LittleAH

TfN almost certainly don't seeing as TPE told them just a month or so ago that all new rolling stock would be in service this year. This was at the same time they were originally planning to move some Mk5a's to Longtown for storage.

Most likely because those that have been moved into storage haven't yet been accepted by TPE because they do not yet meet the standard required as CAF haven't built a good enough product. ANd what are TfN going to do? They have no weight whatsoever. Anyway, in a few weeks time many on this thread wont have so much to grumble about.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Anyway, in a few weeks time many on this thread wont have so much to grumble about.

That's when the real testing starts is it? With actual passengers.
Don't expect them to be great straight out the box, they'll need time to bed in like any new rolling stock, so probably good it's only 1or 2 Mk5a sets to start with as has been said.
Full service May 2020. Maybe!

Status
Not open for further replies.