• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
A casual observation the gap between the carriages looks quite large and the corridor connection looks quite long more like carriages of many years ago rather than modern carriages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bastien

A casual observation the gap between the carriages looks quite large and the corridor connection looks quite long more like carriages of many years ago rather than modern carriages.

Is that because of the flat ends and lack of tapering toward them?

fowler9

Established Member

I don't know. It looks bigger than modern high speed trains but not that different to stuff like 185's, 350's etc.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
So what Multiple working system do the TPE locos and DTs have then? Are we in "yet another standard" territory? The Chiltern ones got AAR as that's what the 67s have (in common with the 66s and 59s) so the DVTs were fitted with that (easier and more reliable than trying to fit compatible TDM to the 67s)

jamieP

So what Multiple working system do the TPE locos and DTs have then? Are we in "yet another standard" territory? The Chiltern ones got AAR as that's what the 67s have (in common with the 66s and 59s) so the DVTs were fitted with that (easier and more reliable than trying to fit compatible TDM to the 67s)

From my understanding the Mk5 DTs will use the normal multi working system fitted to all 68s.

dubscottie

If you look at the picture in post #451 it looks as if there are 2 small cables above the anti override plates for the 68/88 multiple working and a large cable in the centre which could be AAR so they may work from both systems.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Has there ever been a standard?
We've had things that came fairly close to standards on the railway at various times.

See Sprinter/Pacer/Turbostar, the antics of the Southern Region and blue star.

Ofcourse in america virtually all trains use the exact same MU standard.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
We've had things that came fairly close to standards on the railway at various times.

See Sprinter/Pacer/Turbostar, the antics of the Southern Region and blue star.

Ofcourse in america virtually all trains use the exact same MU standard.
Sort of, though I think there's varients of the radio-transmitted version used when locos are at the rear and/or middle of long freights.

The standard is, of course, AAR, fitted to the 59s, 66s, 67s and some 68s.

ScottDarg

dubscottie

No, they can only work with the "TPE modified" class 68's. They don't use AAR on those 68's or on the MK5A's either.

So what is the big jumper cable for at the buffer fitted end? Its not ETS anyway.

It could be AAR to future proof them.

Last edited:

On Moderation
The standard is, of course, AAR, fitted to the 59s, 66s, 67s and some 68s.
Class 70s (being of GE heritage) and the rebuilt GBRf 73/9s are also AAR fitted.

The AAR fitted to the 68s is only to allow operation with the DVTs, they are not multiple capable using AAR - that is only possible by the 68’s own Wire Train Bus system.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Class 70s (being of GE heritage) and the rebuilt GBRf 73/9s are also AAR fitted.

So how many multi systems does the 73/9 have now? Have they removed blue star or the Mark 1 southern region gear?

The AAR fitted to the 68s is only to allow operation with the DVTs, they are not multiple capable using AAR - that is only possible by the 68’s own Wire Train Bus system.

I'm not sure how the locomotive would even know what it was attached to to determine if it was allowed to use AAR or not..... but if so.

Who allowed this madness?

No locomotive or multiple unit should recieve type approval to operate in Britain unless it uses at least one of the multiple working systems from a very short list. Preferably no more than one system per train type.

This is just storing up problems for the future - especially with manufacturer lock in.

On Moderation
So how many multi systems does the 73/9 have now? Have they removed blue star or the Mark 1 southern region gear?
They now have AAR and SR systems, with blue star removed.

bastien

Does that mean they're actually incompatible (in which case surely it is not actually AAR). Or is this just a case of no-one having done the necessary testing and certification?

BMIFlyer

So what is the big jumper cable for at the buffer fitted end? Its not ETS anyway.

It could be AAR to future proof them.

There is a new socket fitted on the 68’s on the buffer beam.

This is where the ‘big cable’ that you see on the MK5A will plug in.

The push pull system is called “CAF Control” and that is what the TPE only class 68’s have been fitted with.

Domh245

Established Member
From memory the 68s are being retrofitted with forward facing destination displays, so they'll need some way of controlling those from the coaches, which I don't think is accounted for by any existing standard connector. I think there were other things that are fitted for TPE duties compared to other 68s but I can't remember what these are and if they'd need to be connected to the coaches to work.

BMIFlyer

From memory the 68s are being retrofitted with forward facing destination displays, so they'll need some way of controlling those from the coaches, which I don't think is accounted for by any existing standard connector. I think there were other things that are fitted for TPE duties compared to other 68s but I can't remember what these are and if they'd need to be connected to the coaches to work.

• Forward facing destination indicator (PIS screen) controlled from either cab on the loco or from the DT cab.
  • Cab to cab communication (manual PA announce system and guard to driver talking)
  • Bell buzzer system (guard to driver)
  • Door interlock (so the loco can't move the train with the passenger doors unlocked)
  • Forward facing camera (becoming standard in the UK anyway)
  • Door controls, so that the driver can release the train doors instead of the guard (guard closes them).
Train Management System for the coaches is also fitted in the class 68 (so the driver can see faults as well as the guard seeing them).

The TPE class 68s have a modified cab desk fitted, with more stuff on it.

Established Member
I've just viewed 2 x 68 being taken through Usti nad Labem for Velim! Sadly no photo as we crossed them just outside

Status
Not open for further replies.