• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Whilst searching the news about the new SW franchise, I found this image in an article from getSurrey, which I am guessing is a rendering of a Mk5 driving trailer in TPE colours.

JS113802137.jpg

Quite a bulky front end!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BMIFlyer

Whilst searching the news about the new SW franchise, I found this image in an article from getSurrey, which I am guessing is a rendering of a Mk5 driving trailer in TPE colours.

JS113802137.jpg

Quite a bulky front end!

For: a) crash worthiness
b) The ability to be hauled by a rescue loco if required.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Very nice looking stock, simple but striking. Didn't even occur to me that the yellow wasn't there at first.

Nymanic

Very similar in style to the Irish Mk 5 DVTs produced by CAF, but obviously with an evolved design.

http://www.caf.net/en/productos-servicios/proyectos/proyecto-detalle.php?p=205

There's certainly a resemblance, and perhaps having that stock in its repertoire has helped CAF size things up the second time round, so as to ensure quick production.

Alas, I'm sure TPE's seating choice will leave a little more to be desired than the rather fine specimens that IE passengers enjoy...

hurricanemk1c

Very similar in style to the Irish Mk 5 DVTs produced by CAF, but obviously with an evolved design.

http://www.caf.net/en/productos-serv...alle.php?p=205

There's certainly a resemblance, and perhaps having that stock in its repertoire has helped CAF size things up the second time round, so as to ensure quick production.

Alas, I'm sure TPE's seating choice will leave a little more to be desired than the rather fine specimens that IE passengers enjoy...

As point of note, they are Mark 4's not Mark 5's. No relation to the IC225 sets. And the first photo is from my home station ;)

The seats on the Mark 4's aren't exactly the best - prefer ICR seats myself. Tend to find the backs of the Mark 4's too hard and have a tendancy to pop in and out unless fitted perfectly.

Back on topic - have to say I like the look of them. Looks like it means business

Bornin1980s

I suppose one can debate how it looks, but is it still as safe without a yellow end? Also, will the locos still have yellow ends?

najaB

Veteran Member
I can see how a train with high-intensity lighting and no yellow panel is as safe as a train with a yellow panel and no high-intensity lighting. However, would they not both be less safe than a train with high-intensity lighting *and* a yellow panel?

coppercapped

Established Member
I can see how a train with high-intensity lighting and no yellow panel is as safe as a train with a yellow panel and no high-intensity lighting. However, would they not both be less safe than a train with high-intensity lighting *and* a yellow panel?

As the yellow panel has no effect for the half of the year when it is dark, I can't see that its absence will make much difference.

coppercapped

Established Member
Using that logic, why did they ever mandate yellow panels at all?

Because when the yellow panels were introduced trains had no headlights at all, just dimly lit (at night) route indicator panels. A dull green front did not stand out at all so a yellow patch was an improvement, even if it only worked during the day. Sealed beam headlights came a lot later.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Can hardly blame it on a lack of orders due to privatisation though, BREL was sold off 5 years before the bill authorising the end of BR was introduced to Parliament and factory closures were already ongoing through the 80's.

There was a hiatus of orders immediately pre privatisation and post privatisation. It certainly didn't help

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suppose one can debate how it looks, but is it still as safe without a yellow end? Also, will the locos still have yellow ends?

1. Yes
2. Why would they?

The locos most likely WILL have yellow ends, as all the 68s delivered so far do have them.

Yellow ends are so familiar that anything without looks odd. I understand that the reason for them is largely no longer needed but it seems like the only reason for not continuing is because some TOC MD who is used to getting their own way threw a tantrum because he wanted to paint it black. :roll:

Bornin1980s

Why are nearly all oparaters ditching yellow ends painting the ends black. In most of the world, the ends are simply painted body colour.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

You see the high intensity headlight well before the yellow end, so no.

Status
Not open for further replies.