• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob F

Transpennine Express Nova 3+DRS Class 68 No.68032 at Carlisle with a Milage accumulation run

Please have a look at the video of the set at Carlisle
Good video. What is different about this camera that makes the loco lights not appear to flash?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notlob.divad

Established Member
Good video. What is different about this camera that makes the loco lights not appear to flash?
Higher / Lower FPS. Or pure chance that FPS aligns perfectly with the pulses of the pulse width modulation.

That said. I think the question you should be asking is not what is necessarily different with the camera. But just what is different in general. one video was during the day, the other in the dark. Therefore the headlights could be different brightness and thus the LEDs would be off for more of the period and thus more chance of sampling it.

Its much easier ti explain with a drawing. So I will stop thereto avoid taking the topic off thread.

Last edited:

modernrail

It feels a bit odd that passengers will have the quieter experience on non-electrified sections in the all diesel powered Nova that the electric capable one, even though I realise that is also entirely obvious.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It feels a bit odd that passengers will have the quieter experience on non-electrified sections in the all diesel powered Nova that the electric capable one, even though I realise that is also entirely obvious.
Not necessarily. I imagine sitting directly behind the 68 on a Nova 3 set will be fairly noticeable and likewise there will be unpowered vehicles on a Nova 2 set which will offer the same level of quietness that the other four vehicles of a Nova 3 do. On balance it's not a lot different. Modern AC traction motors very rapidly become near-inaudible at high speed, whereas for diesel traction that isn't the case.

driver9000

Established Member
Not necessarily. I imagine sitting directly behind the 68 on a Nova 3 set will be fairly noticeable and likewise there will be unpowered vehicles on a Nova 2 set which will offer the same level of quietness that the other four vehicles of a Nova 3 do. On balance it's not a lot different. Modern AC traction motors very rapidly become near-inaudible at high speed, whereas for diesel traction that isn't the case.

The only people who will be sitting behind the loco are staff as the area at that end of the coach is the kitchen. Apparently you can't hear the loco from the 1st class saloon.

Erniescooper

F5B53946-F418-4715-A9CD-4120AA4C6813.jpeg
The 68 is pretty much inaudible in Nova 3 unless you are in the gangway but because there are doors either end of it there is no transfer to the rest of the train. The HVACs are underframe mounted as well so there is very little noise from them either.
I spent some time on the 397 earlier in the week and it was really quiet as well with just a bit more HVAC noise but not the roaring noise you get in 350. I think the 397 is going to be really popular as it is just a really nice place to be with loads of windows and really good seat alignment.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
The only people who will be sitting behind the loco are staff as the area at that end of the coach is the kitchen. Apparently you can't hear the loco from the 1st class saloon.
Well that's disappointing.

Established Member
All super bright LED based headlights do that when filmed. It is the timing of the camera shutter/sampling and the super fast LED flashes. If you film a modern car with LED headlights you will get the same. The same effect gives you the scrolling lines on old cathode ray computer screens and makes it appear the wheels of a car are going backwards.
Thank you for the explanation.

Dunnyrail

3H22 ran over 365 minutes early again today after the run from Carlisle terminated early at Crewe for the third day in a row, I caught up with it at Gatley as it returned to Manchester International Depot. It was again 68032 along with set TP09, I will add in more images shortly when I've edited and uploaded them.

(Seems the forum is having a few issues, if you press on the photo title below each one it will take you to Flickr to see the photo there)

31833915577_a9782deb5b_b.jpg

Transpennine Express 68032 by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

46050788634_3233eaaa86_b.jpg

Transpennine Express 12809 by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

The New and The Old
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr
Interesting that on the Vid the front Lights on the Loco are Flashing. Have I missed something and this is a new Safety Feature, or is it just some kind of effect with LED’s and Video?

driver9000

Established Member
Interesting that on the Vid the front Lights on the Loco are Flashing. Have I missed something and this is a new Safety Feature, or is it just some kind of effect with LED’s and Video?

It's the frame rate of the camera. They don't flash in reality.

Andrew Nelson

High-speed + diesel = a fair amount of noise. Moreso in this case as all the motive power is confined to the locomotive at one end rather than distributed throughout the train. Their Class 397s are far from noisy -
An electric unit being less noisy than a Diesel one.
Who'd have thought?

Ben Bow

The Bletchley leg of today's runs has been cancelled with the set heading straight back to Longsight from Carlisle.

SP Man

This week nothing is runn8ng tomorrow with a MID Carlisle MID we'd, thur and Friday along with a Scarborough early hours of Friday.

SP Man

A very cold run in freezing fog most of the way from Manchester to Carlisle and back today with set 9. Thankfully the sun shone through the Lune Valley and snow was on the Lakes hill sides. A quick shot on Post on curve. Out again tomorrow and Friday with set 9 to Carlisle. Set 1 (I think) heading to Scarborough on Friday morning.

Attachments

• 20190123_113726.jpg
    20190123_113726.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 180
  • 20190123_113726.jpg
    20190123_113726.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 20190123_113726.jpg
    20190123_113726.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.