TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by sprinterguy, 11 Mar 2017.

1. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

2. Fez14

Fez14 Member

MAAAAYYYYY :'(

3. sjpowermac

sjpowermac Member

Who knows, maybe there might be a treat a little earlier. Certainly everything looked to be working very smoothly with the MID-Scarborough trains last week.

C2DEDE72-A44B-40F7-881F-211FA0097634.jpeg 16290D17-3E92-4380-898D-0E79082F55D0.jpeg

4. sjpowermac

sjpowermac Member

...and everything sounded pretty good too;)

5. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

Those table lights look mighty annoying...

6. bengley

bengley Established Member

Same as on 185s. They could do with a switch but they're not that annoying.

7. sjpowermac

sjpowermac Member

I find it hard to tell how a train will be before traveling on it, but it did look really impressive. Very much an ‘InterCity’ train, which I think is what TPE were aiming for.

8. MalaiseForever

MalaiseForever Member

Looking forward to these immensely. The 185s are good but simply too small to cope with demand, unless working as a pair (which is a very rare occurrence) in recent months.

9. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Standard looks rubbish, though.

10. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

Its a matter of opinion obviously, I don't think Standard is that bad on TPE, but for most regular TPE punters 4 full length cars of it with lots more seats and lots less standing with your face pressed against someone else's armpit for an hour or more as you haul over the Pennines will be appreciated.

Maybe one day if even more capacity can be found, a 'Standard Plus' car could be added where the seat configuration & covers are transferrable, the lighting adjustable, the colour scheme set by regular votes in-journey & the BTP in permanent attendance for in the inevitable scuffles that will occur when occupied by various RUK members*.... ;)

*Footnote, the above is meant to be in jest, obviously RUK would never disagree over the interior of a new unit... ;)

11. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Thinking about my last use of TPE having to travel with my suitcase between my legs and carrying the rest of my luggage on my head (not joking), I can certainly imagine the benefits are more towards fitting comfortably on the train. Seating creature comforts are very much a secondary objective.

12. sjpowermac

sjpowermac Member

I think the increase in capacity will be a huge improvement. The coaches themselves didn’t look any worse than a 185. Again, I would find it hard to tell without traveling on one, but here’s a pic for reference.

0F961427-9144-47AB-9721-271F441926EA.jpeg

13. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Indeed; the seats look better than those in standard on the 185s, and most importantly there'll be significantly more of them!

14. samuelmorris

Having used those seats on an 800, and ridden on a 185 I disagree, but fortunately I think most journeys on these units will probably be shorter in distance than causes an issue with unpadded seats. I'm usually OK for around 60-90 mins on such seats. It's going to be pretty rough for anyone making the full Liverpool to Scarborough trip though.

15. BucksBones

BucksBones Member

It looks good to me. What makes you say that?

Are they identical to the GWR class 800 seats? I thought I read somewhere there would be extra padding on these.

16. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

These seats are not the same as those fitted to IETs. They are a completely different (and better) design

17. samuelmorris

I'd like to see a source for that, because that's the first I've heard of that. Certainly by appearance they're identical.

Different covers, but no extra padding. If you've ridden an 800/3 or 802 I believe they're the same seat.

18. gimmea50anyday

gimmea50anyday Established Member

A one of the companies "New Trains Ambassadors" these seats were demo's to TPE staff at our training centre in Huddersfield. They are not the same seats as the 800s. We are also supposed to be getting a different seat design for the 802s but I'll hold reservations until I see them for myself. Seeing as tho Newton Aycliffe is no longer being used for TPE 802 construction I'm still awaiting my invite to Pistoia! XD

19. Bletchleyite

They look exactly the same to me.

They are also, unlike 185s, misaligned.

20. Bletchleyite

I didn’t even get to Reading.

21. Bletchleyite

Same awful seats as the Class 800 (First are telling outright lies if they are claiming they are different as they quite evidently are not - indeed, didn’t a thread on here say they are the only currently approved seat for 125mph stock?). Poor layout with seats mostly not aligned to windows. Small windows with large areas of plastic.

They look spectacular from the outside but the inside looks garbage. The new EMUs on the other hand appear to at least get the layout right.

22. samuelmorris

At the risk of sounding overly sceptical, my interpretation of that is that TPE are proclaiming because they use different covers, they are not the same seats as used on the Class 800. You can clearly see it's the same seat design from the images, whether or not the actual cushioning material inside the seat is different is another matter but I see no reason to suggest that it would at this stage. It's a marketing ploy to try and conceal the use of the same Fainsa design since First are well aware reaction to its use on GWR has been mixed at best. It baffles me why TOCs do things like this as all it will take is one journey for passengers to see through that.

I'll be honest, if it weren't for the fact I know I dislike that seat, I'd be pretty excited by the new fleet, even the interiors. To me they look very smart. Simplistic, but the use of some degree of dark shades make them look far less sterile than they otherwise would. Design-wise, all of TPE's recent interiors, including the 185 refurbishment, look really nice in my opinion. I know this has been said ad nauseum on here, but I just wish they hadn't cheaped out on the seats themselves, especially for the 100mph Mk5 sets where there are so many other choices that are better. In the name of commonality with the 125mph fleets where choice is limited, they've stuck with the same seat as the 800s throughout. It makes perfect business sense but it's a very unfortunate compromise. I wouldn't say for a minute it makes the trains bad, but they could have been so much better just with that one single change. The window alignment point is also unfortunate, but to some extent forgivable based on targets for seat pitch / capacity.

With the full colour info LCDs and loco-hauled quietness, the Mk5s are going to seem like a real premium offering compared to the 802s. Imagine if they had better seats too 8-)

23. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

It's one of the most common complaints about rolling stock (poor seat/window alignment) but the TOCs never seem to listen!

24. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

I assume the problem is that the alignment is designed for the 1st class seating, and thus compromised for standard class

25. Bletchleyite

Not even that - designed for the Caledonian Sleeper!

26. Bletchleyite

To be fair they have for the WCML EMUs. But it would be nice if they had for all three fleets.

Generally it strikes me that poor thought goes into layouts like that. For example, Pendolinos have luggage racks the precise size of an airline seated row which are against the window, and then a row of airline seats against a wall. This is nothing other than sheer laziness.

I do like the interior scheme, it’s almost as classy as the DB ICE. But it has been spoilt with poor seats and a poor layout.

27. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

28. Bletchleyite

29. Nymanic

Nymanic Member

Precisely. The Mark 5A is essentially a cheap 'n' quick derivative of the Caledonian Sleeper design, presumably to get a new train into service quickly. A plan that didn't go so smoothly. The 802s were a necessity given the uncertainty surrounding Trans-Pennine electrification. Once again, this is an existing design.

It's worth noting that only the only Nova train with known options for extras is the 397. Presumably that was the design that First wanted to see more of across their network, given the 'bespoke' passenger experience. But due to the Trans-Pennine situation, and with no notion that a bi-mode 397 can be designed, there'll probably be few (if any) extra orders.

30. bastien

bastien Member