• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpowermac

Established Member
A one of the companies "New Trains Ambassadors" these seats were demo's to TPE staff at our training centre in Huddersfield. They are not the same seats as the 800s. We are also supposed to be getting a different seat design for the 802s but I'll hold reservations until I see them for myself. Seeing as tho Newton Aycliffe is no longer being used for TPE 802 construction I'm still awaiting my invite to Pistoia! XD
So on the one hand you have inside knowledge of the topic and you’ve told us the seats are a different design.

Yet we have so many later posts saying they are the same as an IET, based on looking at a picture taken through a window with an iPhone.

Hmmm, I’m going to believe you on this one, and say thanks for the info;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I know this has been said ad nauseum on here, but I just wish they hadn't cheaped out on the seats themselves, especially for the 100mph Mk5 sets where there are so many other choices that are better. In the name of commonality with the 125mph fleets where choice is limited, they've stuck with the same seat as the 800s throughout. It makes perfect business sense but it's a very unfortunate compromise.
The mark 5s are 125mph capable stock, they're only constrained by the capabilities of the locos powering them.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The mark 5s are 125mph capable stock, they're only constricted by the capabilities of the locos powering them.
Yeah, that's something I have considered, and I suspect is possibly a large factor in why they chose the seats they did - the stock would presumably only be 100 or 110mph certified otherwise.

Spartacus

Established Member
So on the one hand you have inside knowledge of the topic and you’ve told us the seats are a different design.

Yet we have so many later posts saying they are the same as an IET, based on looking at a picture taken through a window with an iPhone.

Hmmm, I’m going to believe you on this one, and say thanks for the info;)

Ditto, far too much "They're a pile of excrement!" type comments on here from people who've never been inside one. Personally I don't give a monkeys about the windows being perfectly aligned to the windows either, I'd rather have more seats and spend less time having someone's backside near my face any day, and from what I can tell nobody's going to get a lousy view outside, and sitting there could be an advantage depending on where the sun is. I don't think the issue is any worse than a Mk3, and certainly better than 22x stock which could have been an alternative.

I do like the seats, it's not something brought up very often but covers on the ones on the 185s since the refit don't fit very well in the lumbar area, though you'd only notice it during the summer if you'd no thick clothing on. These look to be properly fitted.

Jozhua

Established Member
Personally I think they look a million dollars!

Compared to the 185's I think they'll be a massive upgrade for a number of reasons:
1. Capacity - Obviously!
2. Quietness - With a loco pulling the Mk5's, there will be considerably less under carriage noise...
3. Door location - This is one reason I think the Mk5's will feel more like "proper" intercity stock. In the rare circumstance I get a seat on a 185, it can be hard to relax, or even catch some z's ;) because you get a cold draft from the station each time the doors open and the associated platform noise and racket of people getting on. Hopefully, with the doors being at each end there will be less noise and cold air coming in from the outside each time it stops! Also the total area taken up by the doors will be smaller, hopefully meaning there will be more room for seats in each carriage.

Concerning the worries surrounding seat comfort, I personally think they look a lot nicer than the existing 185 seats, and will certainly be a lot better than the floor of said 185! If they bother you that much, I'm sure TPE can organise a 3 carriage 185 so you can go back to having someone's suitcase crushing your face for 60 mins+

PennineSuperb

Saloon length and additional height due to HVAC equipment being mounted under the solebar.

Attachments

• D270.jpg
    D270.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 366

Fez14

Can confirm a Pennine run tonight. Currently sat waiting in Greenfield now, probably waiting for line clearance as was running very early

Spartacus

Established Member
68032 Destroyer and Mk5s at York this morning, 3P52 22:27 Manchester Airport - York.

6FCDE7F0-7993-4572-AAA2-7101BA28C6FD.jpeg 8D9C098A-CCF0-40C6-8A12-776763F93F81.jpeg AA658FD1-7E68-4FA8-83C2-7F0E7B86A60B.jpeg 407D76D3-4D1D-4C08-A2FB-E8C395798D3F.jpeg 71BE6D2E-18C5-4803-ACCB-59805892FCA1.jpeg 0DCBCDAC-57EE-45C4-BDE8-CF63AE83AFA2.jpeg

66Yorks

Could someone kindly please explain the reason for TPE introducing new Loco hauled stock instead of the DMU's?
I would have thought that the associated running costs etc would be more for said stock rather than the latter.
Not that I'm complaining.:D

sprinterguy

Established Member
Could someone kindly please explain the reason for TPE introducing new Loco hauled stock instead of the DMU's?
I would have thought that the associated running costs etc would be more for said stock rather than the latter.
The idea was that CAF had production capacity to deliver the loco-hauled sets earlier than Hitachi could the class 802s. It also allows for easy conversion to electric haulage should the Transpennine North route be electrified, which was very much on the table for c.2023 at the time of the franchise competition.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Also, in BR days five coaches was regarded as the tipping point in terms of cost effectiveness of locomotive haulage. So, maintain one big diesel rather than five smaller engines and associated transmissions. I think it’s fair to say the Class 68 is a very modern locomotive. It would be interesting in time to know the relative operating costs of Nova 3 compared with Nova 1, but if the BR reasoning still applies then I suspect there might not be much in it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Also, in BR days five coaches was regarded as the tipping point in terms of cost effectiveness of locomotive haulage. So, maintain one big diesel rather than five smaller engines and associated transmissions. I think it’s fair to say the Class 68 is a very modern locomotive. It would be interesting in time to know the relative operating costs of Nova 3 compared with Nova 1, but if the BR reasoning still applies then I suspect there might not be much in it.
It also helps that the 68's acceleration is far swifter than BR could have envisioned any diesel locomotive being- they can keep pace with (even outrun) the Clubman sets on Chiltern by all accounts. So that nullifies one of the traditional negatives of loco-hauled when compared to DMUs.

sjpowermac

Established Member
It also helps that the 68's acceleration is far swifter than BR could have envisioned any diesel locomotive being- they can keep pace with (even outrun) the Clubman sets on Chiltern by all accounts. So that nullifies one of the traditional negatives of loco-hauled when compared to DMUs.
In Modern Railways the 68s were described as ‘like an EMU, only much more fun’!

Nymanic

I'd note that the acceleration of a 168/170/171 is hardly considered blistering, but if a Nova 3's acceleration compares well to a 185, that'd be a very good sign.

The power-to-weight ratio for the Mark 5A sets is much higher, although there are always other factors to consider.

Ih8earlies

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's the Mark 5A/68 layout.

I'm interested in seeing why there are single standard seats in coaches B, C and D myself. (B65, C01 & D01)

Attachments

• Nova3.png
    Nova3.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 360

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The single seats in standard look like they're there to create a bit of extra circulation space at the ends of the saloons, and allow space to put items in the luggage racks opposite.

Jozhua

Established Member
The single seats in standard look like they're there to create a bit of extra circulation space at the ends of the saloons, and allow space to put items in the luggage racks opposite.

Think they're also going to be a favourite among travellers as well!

sjpowermac

Established Member
68023 ‘Achilles’ with this afternoon’s 0B67 15:02 Scarborough York driver training run passing over Scarborough Bridge, York. The original pedestrian bridge has now been removed, and will later be replaced by a much wider design.
1D021ABA-B2E5-4B8D-A270-DF34496E8557.jpeg

Mikey C

Established Member
68023 ‘Achilles’ with this afternoon’s 0B67 15:02 Scarborough York driver training run passing over Scarborough Bridge, York. The original pedestrian bridge has now been removed, and will later be replaced by a much wider design.
View attachment 59136
I hope cyclists don't follow the sign to Cycle Route 65 :D

sjpowermac

Established Member
I hope cyclists don't follow the sign to Cycle Route 65 :D
Haha! To be fair, there are diversion signs in place! The new bridge is due for completion by the end of March, come on TPE, let’s have at least one Nova 3 in traffic by then;)

DunfordBridge

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's the Mark 5A/68 layout.

I'm interested in seeing why there are single standard seats in coaches B, C and D myself. (B65, C01 & D01)

That is good, sounds like a bit of a Terminator fixation going off with the carriage classifications.

DunfordBridge

Haha! To be fair, there are diversion signs in place! The new bridge is due for completion by the end of March, come on TPE, let’s have at least one Nova 3 in traffic by then;)

Not that much of an inconvenience, only adds about 3 generous minutes to my walk going over Lendall Bridge.

Fez14

Was just about to do a repeat of last night that these trains were more frequently getting the miles in. Tonight’s Pennine run has again stopped at Greenfield but tonight it has stopped for a lot longer and I can see orange jacket engineers inspecting the exterior of the train with torches from the platform

Spartacus

Established Member
Well as it's sat waiting a platform at Huddersfield there can't can't have been all that much wrong.

Jonny

Established Member
Was just about to do a repeat of last night that these trains were more frequently getting the miles in. Tonight’s Pennine run has again stopped at Greenfield but tonight it has stopped for a lot longer and I can see orange jacket engineers inspecting the exterior of the train with torches from the platform

Well as it's sat waiting a platform at Huddersfield there can't can't have been all that much wrong.

Platform/train compatibility perhaps?

Spartacus

Established Member
More 1P47 in it's booked platform, loco hauled set running early at Huddersfield.

Seems it's not required to test east of Leeds tonight so will be turning back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.