• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fez14

There's obviously no security at Scarborough so they keep coming back.
Not sure how old this is but its the best video or image I've seen of any graffiti. There were reports that Nova 2s and 3s have been vandalised. If this is the second Mk5a set to be vandalised then that really is shocking

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure how old this is but its the best video or image I've seen of any graffiti. There were reports that Nova 2s and 3s have been vandalised. If this is the second Mk5a set to be vandalised then that really is shocking

You'd think that as soon as one got done they would bring in some contracted security guards. Which is the thing contracted security guards shoud be doing, not checking tickets a la Northern.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You'd think that as soon as one got done they would bring in some contracted security guards.

Depends on how much it costs to fix the graffiti versus entering into said contract. I'd gamble that it's probably cheaper to just fix the graffiti.

sjpowermac

Established Member
This is the same set as reported awhile back, occurred at Scarborough on the night of 27th February. There have been problems at Scarborough before with charter stock suffering this fate.

I’m not sure if there was a specific reason to stable the stock at Scarborough, but from a security point of view working back to York and putting it in platform 2 (bay platform) might have been better, there was only a single 68 in there on that night.

Jozhua

Established Member
Do we know if the graffiti will effect the timescale for their entry into service?

They're also going to have to factor in the 20 year overhaul of the fleet by the time they get to using them ;)

sjpowermac

Established Member
Do we know if the graffiti will effect the timescale for their entry into service?

They're also going to have to factor in the 20 year overhaul of the fleet by the time they get to using them ;)
Or tag an another 13 sets on to the end of the Class 802 order;)

It was mentioned earlier that part of the Mk5a spec is for graffiti to be easily removed, how kind of the Scarborough ‘artists’ to test that out for free;)

Pic of 68029 at York this afternoon, I think it’s probably rusted to the track having stood for so long...
7A783293-E184-4877-B76B-B05A248F5EB5.jpeg

SP Man

This is the same set as reported awhile back, occurred at Scarborough on the night of 27th February. There have been problems at Scarborough before with charter stock suffering this fate.

I’m not sure if there was a specific reason to stable the stock at Scarborough, but from a security point of view working back to York and putting it in platform 2 (bay platform) might have been better, there was only a single 68 in there on that night.
It had to stay over at Scarborough to allow it to be the first train over the route in the morning for track circuit testing with the wheels and track being left the longest between use to ensure they activate Track circuits.

Ben Bow

....Pic of 68029 at York this afternoon, I think it’s probably rusted to the track having stood for so long...
View attachment 60221

Now that driver training has finished at York for the time being maybe we will see them move back Manchester way. To be fair 029 did get to move a couple of loco lengths during each course as the driver's first 'feel' of a 68 in motion - 021 on the other hand....

sjpowermac

Established Member
It had to stay over at Scarborough to allow it to be the first train over the route in the morning for track circuit testing with the wheels and track being left the longest between use to ensure they activate Track circuits.
Many thanks for that, greatly appreciated.

scarby

I wish the Nova 3s would keep coming back;)

Still, something to look forward to in the autumn when these might just about start...

Not to mention the new Scarborough depot, which according to TPE: "The new structure, which is planned to open in summer 2018, will maintain our brand new trains."

When I went past on a train last week, there still isn't anything constructed above ground level, although I think the track work is more or less finished.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not to mention the new Scarborough depot, which according to TPE: "The new structure, which is planned to open in summer 2018, will maintain our brand new trains."

When I went past on a train last week, there still isn't anything constructed above ground level, although I think the track work is more or less finished.

You can chuck a basic steel frame up in about a week once the foundations are done.

sjpowermac

Established Member

According to ‘Falmer’s Almanac’ summer 2019 ends on 22nd September;)

Let’s all keep our fingers crossed:)

Ben Bow

It wasn't required either, better to build it and use it, than leave it empty and unused at the mercy of vandals for months/years.

sjpowermac

Established Member
York round up for anyone visiting:

68021 ‘Tireless’ and 68029 on Siemens Depot.

68020 ‘Reliance’ stables overnight in platform 2, daytime driver training runs to Scarborough, though not always as many trips as Real Time Trains suggests!

68027 York P SD (siding adjacent to the station). Seems to be broken, some say wheel flats but can anyone confirm?

Pic below of 68020 this evening.

9C588EAC-B596-4C56-BFEE-AA97F6EA21B8.jpeg

was 68029 at the Siemens depot on Saturday about 13.00 couldn't id the loco as I went past it was behind 68021

Ben Bow

Yes, 68027 has wheel flats and is awaiting a visit to a wheel lathe.
68029 would have been on the depot on Saturday.
Thanks for the update by the way.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Yes, 68027 has wheel flats and is awaiting a visit to a wheel lathe.
68029 would have been on the depot on Saturday.
Thanks for the update by the way.
Many thanks for the shout on 68027. It has been out of traffic for quite some time now, being dumped in platform 2 at York from the end of January before shuffling over to the P SD.

sjpowermac

Established Member

dilbertphil

A couple of moves in for light locomotive moves on Wednesday 13th March 2019:

0P68 05:09 Longsight to Scarborough
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O89943/2019/03/13/advanced

Returning
0M68 10:10 Scarborough to Longsight
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O89966/2019/03/13/advanced

These have been pretty good runners in the past for switching over the driver training locos.

Last time this ran it just went to York and back.

It's a move to get the vandalised 68 back to Longsight to be sorted.

scarby

Regarding the graffiti attacks, there have been units and locos kept overnight at Scarborough station for as long as I can remember, and although someone could easily enter by jumping over a wall, climbing a small fence, etc., there's never been an issue as far as I'm aware that people would go to the station right in the depths of the night and damage things. But I guess there's a first, and it seems second and third time for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.