• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
So which 68s have been reliveried with TPE vinyls now? All those designated to the TPE franchise?

driver9000

Established Member
Which way round was the loco on the test runs? When it’s the other way round (ie loud end not against the stock) it makes a noticeable difference on Chiltern.

Passengers in the mk5A will have the kitchen/Guards accommodation between them and the loco to cushion the sound.

driver9000

Established Member
Where is the guard's accommodation located? Do I half recall it's at the other end? In that case DTSO or DSO would work[1]. Yes, O is probably spurious these days, I don't expect to see any DTSKs any time soon! :)

The Guard is next to the loco in the 1st class coach at the kitchen end.

Established Member
Passengers in the mk5A will have the kitchen/Guards accommodation between them and the loco to cushion the sound.
Yes, what I’m saying is it makes a difference to what you hear inside the coach on Chiltern what way round the loco is - and whether that was attributed to the “hear nothing” on TPE. The pictures a quick google produced at Velim showed the loco with the quiet end against the stock and on Chiltern that makes a considerable difference to the volume you can hear from the coach.

CC 72100

Established Member
Have the guards/unions signed off on that? We don't need a repeat of the HST guard's office location debarcle...

Even if it's next to the loco, with sealed windows and being in adjacent vehicle it will be easily quiet enough. A lot quieter than the rear cab (or even the saloon) of a 185 I imagine.

driver9000

Established Member
Have the guards/unions signed off on that? We don't need a repeat of the HST guard's office location debarcle...

Staff representatives have been involved throughout the design process. They will be travelling in the train not the engine room......

driver9000

Established Member
I thought the top speed was going to be 125mph?

Not for the mk5A as the 68 is a 100mph locomotive. The 397 and 802 units are 125mph but I can't remember if there is a capability to raise the mk5A to 125mph if a faster loco becomes available....

Mordac

Established Member
Not for the mk5A as the 68 is a 100mph locomotive. The 397 and 802 units are 125mph but I can't remember if there is a capability to raise the mk5A to 125mph if a faster loco becomes available....
Yeah, I knew they weren't going to run at that speed because of the loco (just like if you had a 37 pulling them the top speed would be even less), but I thought they were able to run at 125mph if hauled by, say, a 91.

driver9000

Established Member
Yeah, I knew they weren't going to run at that speed because of the loco (just like if you had a 37 pulling them the top speed would be even less), but I thought they were able to run at 125mph if hauled by, say, a 91.

They're not going to be hauled by a 91 and posting the maximum speed as 100mph on all vehicles reduces any risk of mistakes being made when driving from the DT.

mullac30

It was tested at 125mph at Velim.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Yes, i too thought the carriage stock was going to be 125mph capable. The idea being that post Transpennine Electrification, (if it ever happens) the 68s could be swapped for a 125mph capable electric Loco and utilise top speed on the ECML.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes, i too thought the carriage stock was going to be 125mph capable. The idea being that post Transpennine Electrification, (if it ever happens) the 68s could be swapped for a 125mph capable electric Loco and utilise top speed on the ECML.
I don't think the fact they are currently limited to 110 changes that. TPE or the ROSCO ought to have included in the project requirements for the stock to be 125mph capable and to meet the various standards needed for 125mph on NR. CAF would have had to demonstrate compliance to these requirements before they got paid, and the evidence supplied could be used in future to support an increase of permitted speed. But doing it now when there is no reason to would just be unnecessary cost. For example 125mph might require certain paramters to be kept within tighter tolerances, which means more frequent maintenance checks.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Given the similarities between the Mk5s and the 397s, it doesn't look like it'd take much to adapt them for 125mph, I assume it just hasn't been done because it'll never get used in the near future and that would induce extra expense.

BMIFlyer

The following 68's are now in TPE colours - 019, 020, 021, 024, 029, & 032.

With 025 & 026 being done shortly.

pt_mad

Established Member
The following 68's are now in TPE colours - 019, 020, 021, 024, 029, & 032.

With 025 & 026 being done shortly.

Where are these being reliveried? Is it vinyls over the top of the second gen DRS design?

Status
Not open for further replies.