• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellhouse

Travelled today on 1E39 from Huddersfield to York in standard class.

Overall a comfortable quiet experience, with a smooth ride and a greater sensation of speed than in a 185 (although we lost time overall)

Niggles:

PIS inaccuracies as described by Solent&Wessex

No WiFi

Odd contours of the seat back with pressure on the back of my shoulders (curious rather than uncomfortable)

Staff area at the front of the First Class coach next to the loco with 'staff only' access through the door at that end. (why not in the DVT?)

Passenger access to the First Class carriage only through a single door by the disabled toilet, shared with the ramp for wheelchairs and the catering trolley. A sure recipe for unnecessarily extended dwell times.

After the exemplary alignment in Class 185s of seats and windows, the table bays all fail to match windows, although this could have easily been avoided had one set of airline seats been relocated to the other end of the carriage.

I didn't take the opportunity to walk the length of the train, preferring to assess my first journey seated throughout, but I suspect there is inadequate provision of luggage racks. As there is good provision of bay seating, there may be sufficient capacity between seat backs, but we'll see.

At one point when the train stopped, there was a loud surge in the air conditioning. Not sure why.

Although this was a quiet service, and I was in the second carriage, I never saw the trolley until it disembarked at York. Perhaps there are issues moving between carriages, or concerns about how long it takes to work the length of a 5-car train? They won't know until they try.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superalbs

Established Member
Why are the PIS screens so tiny? Just makes it really difficult to read a full sentence lol.

wellhouse

Why are the PIS screens so tiny? Just makes it really difficult to read a full sentence lol.
Maybe it never occurred to TPE that when you move screens to the end of carriages, some of the passengers will be seated further away than when they are no more than a third of a carriage length away

05/09 06:12: Nova 3 Diagram

The Nova 3 will be used for the following services today:

0555 MCV - LIV (1F48)
0656 LIV - SCA (1E25)
1041 SCA - LIV (1F62)
1356 LIV - SCA (1E39)
1744 SCA - LIV (1F76)
2056 LIV - SYB (1J53)

Thank you,
Control.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd say having a single dedicated door for first class will be a vast improvement on 185s: with their 1st class set-up there are two doors either side that occasional users think is only for 1st class so they move right down to the next carriage.

route101

Established Member
I had my first ride on the Mk5As today, from Leeds to Liverpool and back.

I found the seats firm, but actually quite comfortable. Far more comfortable than some others - I didn't find the back rest as badly shaped as some new seats for a start.

The ride quality was excellent, far smoother than a 185. The various lurches, bumps and jolts on a 185 when you get thrown all over the place (such as Batley, Mirfield, Heaton Lodge) were just non existent despite going at line speed. The only down side was the noise from the bogies / suspension, which were making a rattling / knocking noise almost continuously in every coach I went in. I am told this is an annoying feature of the new Northern CAF units too?

The toilet was working well, with a well designed layout and seeming quite spacious for such a small cupboard! Nice to have hot hand wash water, unlike the 185s which only dispense cold water!

The air con was just the right temperature and I didn't find the breeze from the air vents below the windows intrusive at all.

The PA announcements were clear and audible and not too loud. The previously reported fault with the announcements cutting out part way through the announcement still exists though, annoyingly. The clocks on the internal display screens were 1 hour fast, and the times shown for the calling points were 1 hour behind what they actually should be. Some of the messages did not work - such as the one which shows departure times of connecting services - this just showed a blank screen.

Loading through the end doors did not seem to cause any additional dwell time.

Overall, highly impressed, apart from the annoying bogie / suspension rattle.

Took the 1356 from Liverpool to Victoria . Few other enthusiasts noted , overhead two guys chatting about the signalling . Seating mostly bays of 4 , thought that some more airline seating would be more suited .
I noticed the announcements cutting short , sc... for Scarborough .

Sleeperwaking

Staff area at the front of the First Class coach next to the loco with 'staff only' access through the door at that end. (why not in the DVT?)
I think going through that door gets you into the kitchen / galley area (for the 1st class food provision), and they don't want passengers going in to make themselves a cuppa.

Sleeperwaking

Not sure about that one. 390's have 140mph top speed in the cab but run only at 125mph, they are maintained as a 125mph unit.
Also the 68 has a 100mph top speed and no 125 mph locos are compatible with Mk5a service trains.
Your last point is probably on the money - indeed, to prove 125 mph, you also have to do 10% overspeed tests up to 137.5 mph, but that's quite difficult if you don't have a loco that can haul at that speed.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Took the 1356 from Liverpool to Victoria . Few other enthusiasts noted , overhead two guys chatting about the signalling . Seating mostly bays of 4 , thought that some more airline seating would be more suited .
There's mostly airline seating in the driving trailer.

fowler9

Established Member
If this was yesterday the front standard class carriage was full of enthusiasts from Liverpool to Manchester .

BMIFlyer

I'd say having a single dedicated door for first class will be a vast improvement on 185s: with their 1st class set-up there are two doors either side that occasional users think is only for 1st class so they move right down to the next carriage.

Regarding the T1 coach next to the loco...

The idea was that the guard would be situated next to the loco, followed by a galley and then 1st class.

Having one staff only door makes sense - the trolleys can be loaded through it, as well as staff changing over (guards mainly) without hindrance from passengers.

Having a single passenger door at the other end of the vehicle next to 1st class is a vast improvement - there is only 1 way in and out of first for passengers - makes it more pleasant to travel in, with less thoroughfare from other people, plus makes the job of policing it much easier. Also should whittle down the "oh I didn't know this was first class" excuses that the guards have to put up with - there is a large enough sign on the saloon door that states you are entering first class.

The guard can operate doors from that area too and direct standard passengers through 4 fully standard coaches. Overall a magnificent improvement for the crew and passengers compared to a 185.

sjpowermac

Established Member
This evening’s 1F76 arrived in York on time, but left 3 late due to late running LNER and XC services. It’s a busy network for sure. At least it gave a nice 10 minute photo-stop;)
0F8046D4-4E09-4185-9BF9-59CCF537DD5F.jpeg
...and that moment when the Voyager finally lumbers out of the way;)

Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
I travelled on the 1356 Liverpool-Scarborough train today, which was a new unit.

All in all very impressed but the seat to window alignment is shocking, and why make the bins so small and hidden?

anti-pacer

Established Member

I was on that train. Are you a middle aged guy with glasses?

js1000

The ride quality was excellent, far smoother than a 185. The various lurches, bumps and jolts on a 185 when you get thrown all over the place (such as Batley, Mirfield, Heaton Lodge) were just non existent despite going at line speed. The only down side was the noise from the bogies / suspension, which were making a rattling / knocking noise almost continuously in every coach I went in. I am told this is an annoying feature of the new Northern CAF units too?
Indeed. It is incredibly irritating on the 195s.

I've found it to be noticeable on all units - although on others it's horrendous. It's not even a knocking noise that you can ignore - it's an annoying 'clunking' sound that rattles through the whole carriage.

My concern would be that it is only going to get worse as the unit accumulates mileage and wear/tear.

06/09 06:38: Nova 3 Diagram

The Nova 3 (68026 and TP11) will be used for the following services today:

0555 MCV - LIV (1F48)
0656 LIV - SCA (1E25)
1041 SCA - LIV (1F62)
1356 LIV - SCA (1E39)
1744 SCA - LIV (1F76)
2056 LIV - SYB (1J53)

Thank you,
Control.

Spartacus

Established Member
Hot axle box detector activation, no fault found on inspection so possible it may work 1E39 from Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.