• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Certainly better than a "Victoria Vulture".
Newton Heath had a Witch on a broomstick!

OK back to Mk5a sets....

Does anybody know how long it is between exams on the Mk5a sets, and obviously different to the Class 68.

Just wondering why it's been 68027 and set TP09 all the time together? Thought other 68s would have been rotated and used by now.
Yes, moving on from ‘Stickergate’;)

According to a talk given by DRS Head of Fleet Management, the diagrams to be operated by the TPE locos don’t allow for the time it would take to do a ‘traditional’ C-Exam (which could take a couple of days). Instead the locos will have a ‘balanced cycle’, with work spread out over a number of smaller exams.

I have no inside knowledge, but at a guess, perhaps only some locos currently have all the relevant software mods. If there are any final tweaks then maybe the engineers are waiting until in-service experience helps them iron those out, before rolling out the software to the whole fleet.

Locos that have been on Nova 3 since the start of the summer have been 68025/26/27/29/30/31.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sjpowermac

Established Member
No, I believe the plan originally was for locos to stay attached to sets except in the case of major overhauls. There won't be the frequent chopping and changing you would see on, for example, HSTs and 91/mk4 sets.
Yes, that was definitely mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also, 68027 is the 9th loco in the TPE series and it’s working with TP09. I wonder if that’s pure chance?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
No, I believe the plan originally was for locos to stay attached to sets except in the case of major overhauls. There won't be the frequent chopping and changing you would see on, for example, HSTs and 91/mk4 sets.

That does make sense for a modern railway, although that was the idea with HSTs originally to keep them together in the same set. That didn't last too long though.

Yes, moving on from ‘Stickergate’;)

According to a talk given by DRS Head of Fleet Management, the diagrams to be operated by the TPE locos don’t allow for the time it would take to do a ‘traditional’ C-Exam (which could take a couple of days). Instead the locos will have a ‘balanced cycle’, with work spread out over a number of smaller exams.

I have no inside knowledge, but at a guess, perhaps only some locos currently have all the relevant software mods. If there are any final tweaks then maybe the engineers are waiting until in-service experience helps them iron those out, before rolling out the software to the whole fleet.

Locos that have been on Nova 3 since the start of the summer have been 68025/26/27/29/30/31.

Yep sounds all plausible to me. Makes sense to get 2 or 3 loco's and sets working correctly then update the rest of the fleet with any mods or updates as required.

There should be no problems at Longsight Traincare being able to maintain loco and train in a fixed formation.

The locos are suppose to be on a balanced exam every 14 days unless somethings changed since I was last told that. No idea about the stock though.

Spartacus

Established Member
68026 'Enterprise' and set TP11 out today, should work 1E23 0556 off Lime Street.

Swedish Keith

Morning All,
Whilst dropping my folks off at Scarborough station this morning was a little surprised to see Courageous and co on platform 1. Alas for my parents it was not their train but apparently being filmed for something-the DVT end at the old Parcel Depot was tightly wrapped in what looked like black bin liners! I shall attach a couple of photos in due course (not uploading to thread at momemt). Not the best as I was in rush as in middle of school run too!
Ps. Many thanks for all the posts which I've been following...I'm not a prolific contributor though(!)

Swedish Keith

....here they are. At first I thought they were wrapped up following another graffiti incident...

Attachments

• 20190910_083154.jpg
    20190910_083154.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 336
  • 20190910_083200.jpg
    20190910_083200.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 319

sjpowermac

Established Member
....here they are. At first I thought they were wrapped up following another graffiti incident...
Thank you for sharing the pictures, how unusual the scene looks! That definitely looks like it’s been done for filming, be interesting to see the commercial:)

sjpowermac

Established Member

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Indeed, looks like 68026 doing a very enterprising job today with an early arrival at Lime Street on 1F60:)
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y81035/2019/09/10/advanced

If you look at the schedule, there is a 2 minute engineering allowance down the hill into Lime St (aka "padding" ;)).
So with all the upgrade work finished it's not surprising some TPE services arrive a little early.
Generally, those TPE services seem to get a good path into Lime St, unlike the 319s which seem to get delayed around Edge Hill a lot.
Late running TPE services also tend to get past Wigan stoppers at Huyton/Roby which are held there.

neonison

1E37 1256 Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough today

A couple of observations:

There are no coat hooks in First Class (or in Standard), this appears to have been a design omission.

The Wi-Fi has not yet been enabled on Nova 3 yet.

sjpowermac

Established Member
If you look at the schedule, there is a 2 minute engineering allowance down the hill into Lime St (aka "padding" ;)).
So with all the upgrade work finished it's not surprising some TPE services arrive a little early.
Generally, those TPE services seem to get a good path into Lime St, unlike the 319s which seem to get delayed around Edge Hill a lot.
Late running TPE services also tend to get past Wigan stoppers at Huyton/Roby which are held there.
Thanks for that, I wasn’t familiar with the local situation at Liverpool.

No doubt about the one minute late departure for 1F74 at York this evening;)
7932893A-0F99-43AB-B185-7C4F74565CBA.jpeg

Spartacus

Established Member

No, it's engineering allowance, required by the timetable planning rules to be taken between Huyton and Lime Street. 'Padding' is performance allowance.

SHerr

Thanks for that, I wasn’t familiar with the local situation at Liverpool.

No doubt about the one minute late departure for 1F74 at York this evening;)
View attachment 68384

I watched the service leave last night at the same time on the way to my train, platform 3 was packed as in your photo and it was fun watching how many people scattered when the driver opened her up just as the the loco passed the big crowd!

sjpowermac

Established Member
I watched the service leave last night at the same time on the way to my train, platform 3 was packed as in your photo and it was fun watching how many people scattered when the driver opened her up just as the the loco passed the big crowd!
The Nova 3 certainly gets noticed;)

Swedish Keith

Thank you, much appreciated.

Did you see anything of the advert being filmed?

No not really...just a few folk milling about between the train and the car park end nearest the parcel depot. The whole of the DVT appears to be totally blacked out except for the driving end. I'll try and get some more/better pics tomorrow. This morning the 68's engine was ticking over.
Apologies if this is off topic...it is a bit isn't it? Or is it? Guess it's all part of the overall mk 5a progress:smile:
As an aside when I popped in to Scarborough station quickly this afternoon to pick up some tickets (about 17:15) there were a total of three 68's including the TV star-I wonder if that's a first (I know I know...definitely off topic...:oops:)

Status
Not open for further replies.