• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionkop64

Apologies if I've missed it, but is there a gauging issue with platform 3 at Scarborough? The new sets always appear to be in platforms 1/2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spionkop64

To avoid the 68 being constantly running under the canopy.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't the engine planned to be at the Liverpool end of the set? Would it be outside the canopy in that scenario?

Of course, it can't be guaranteed that the sets will always be in that formation, but it would be preferable if they can use platform 3. In rain it's unpleasant on 1/2 and the doors are often opened close to departure time. Plus at a station like Scarborough a good percentage of passengers are unfamiliar with the platform layout, I regularly see passengers sitting on the platform 3 benches with their train in platform 2.

tpjm

Thanks for the info. Wasn't the engine planned to be at the Liverpool end of the set? Would it be outside the canopy in that scenario?

Of course, it can't be guaranteed that the sets will always be in that formation, but it would be preferable if they can use platform 3. In rain it's unpleasant on 1/2 and the doors are often opened close to departure time. Plus at a station like Scarborough a good percentage of passengers are unfamiliar with the platform layout, I regularly see passengers sitting on the platform 3 benches with their train in platform 2.
From Dec TT, the tweaked turn around time means only one platform is required. All services are booked to Platform 3 so it’ll be down to Seamer Box if they want to switch it to 2 if the set is the wrong way round. Hopefully it’ll be in the correct formation!

Spartacus

Established Member
Scarborough did have restrictions in platform 3 which didn't just affect 68s, but those were lifted a couple of months ago apart from a longstanding issue with 153s.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Is the 153 issue door related? They seem to have terrible trouble with the doors colliding with platforms.

Erniescooper

A 68 buffer scraped down the edge Platform 3 in mid September but I don’t know if that is related to the present non usage of the platform

D6700

Some Class 68 hauled services are using Platform 3 at Scarborough.

On my own recent travels, in the afternoon/early evening, I had 68027 into there on 15 November, which filled the station with fumes! I also had 68028 into there on 18 November and 20 November. It was also at the buffers end, but didn't fill the station with fumes on either occasion. I've also seen a photo of 68026 on the buffers this afternoon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So between today and yesterday I managed to get on 2 Novas - an 80x yesterday and a 68+Mk5 today, both in 1st. The latter was definitely vastly better. Big, spacious, a lower level of indirect lighting, better First Class seats (though the cushion is still a bit low and catches my upper back, so I prefer not to have one), big windows, reasonable if slightly rough ride (though probably a better ride than a 185). While there is the window alignment issue in Standard (which was what caused me to decide to go for Weekend First) it looked just as classy in there, albeit with Fainsa's "finest". No flicker on the LED displays and good info including connections on the TV style ones. Build quality decent (if slightly iffy panel fit in places) and most interior panels powder-coated metal rather than cheap plastic. Aircon nice and quiet. Massive overhead racks.

Oh, and with the 68 it accelerated like the proverbial off a shovel - like an EMU, really.

Overall, very impressed. Not quite as comfortable as VTWC 1st, but close, and a very classy colour scheme, and definitely more worth my fifteen quid than 80x first. And a good people eater - but if today's loadings are anything to go by they really do need to get an order in for 2 more coaches for each set. A good, solid bit of kit. ScotRail - you might want a nose here.

It will be interesting to see how the 397 compares when I get a go on that - I think it has the same lighting as 195s so Mk5as will win out on that one with their indirect LEDs and spots, but other aspects will be interesting.

Very minor point: there seemed to be an electrical issue causing the staff area and display lights to flash when at low speed - is that an issue with loco power on idle or something else?

Another question - I saw "maybe reserved" on some displays - is this an XC style thing or was it just a failure?

Only other thing I can think of is that the staff were sort of monopolising the end First Class seats like the VTWC "Coach K" issue (there was hardly anyone in First so they was no great issue on this occasion, however). This probably backs up that the catering area could really do with some sort of staff rest area with say a bay of 4 seats and a table.

Oh, one other thought - the vestibules seem narrow and access to the wheelchair area seems awkward - are there issues with wider wheelchairs getting access?

Ryry

Is there no date yet to when the nova 3s will operate to redcar and Middlesbrough

Nymanic

It will be interesting to see how the 397 compares when I get a go on that - I think it has the same lighting as 195s so Mk5as will win out on that one with their indirect LEDs and spots, but other aspects will be interesting.

Although I've only had three minutes on a Nova 2 (thanks to yesterday's maelstrom of issues), I can confirm that the lights aren't the same.

If you squint, you can see the arrangement in the fourth image on CAF's product page. You have centrally mounted spotlights on dark panelling, with outwardly diffused strips either side. Better than the Northern units; possibly better than the rest of the TP fleet.

It was impressive enough for me to notice it in the space of three minutes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah yes, you're correct, my mistake.

Hopefully I'll get a decent ride on one nearer to Christmas...don't think I did too badly this weekend managing a good long ride on an 80x and Mk5s despite heavy disruption to TPE services.

Regarding lighting, indirect always works best. Glaring direct bright LEDs (Northern units and Class 700) are just nasty.

sjpowermac

Established Member
So between today and yesterday I managed to get on 2 Novas - an 80x yesterday and a 68+Mk5 today, both in 1st. The latter was definitely vastly better. Big, spacious, a lower level of indirect lighting, better First Class seats (though the cushion is still a bit low and catches my upper back, so I prefer not to have one), big windows, reasonable if slightly rough ride (though probably a better ride than a 185). While there is the window alignment issue in Standard (which was what caused me to decide to go for Weekend First) it looked just as classy in there, albeit with Fainsa's "finest". No flicker on the LED displays and good info including connections on the TV style ones. Build quality decent (if slightly iffy panel fit in places) and most interior panels powder-coated metal rather than cheap plastic. Aircon nice and quiet. Massive overhead racks.

Oh, and with the 68 it accelerated like the proverbial off a shovel - like an EMU, really.

Overall, very impressed. Not quite as comfortable as VTWC 1st, but close, and a very classy colour scheme, and definitely more worth my fifteen quid than 80x first. And a good people eater - but if today's loadings are anything to go by they really do need to get an order in for 2 more coaches for each set. A good, solid bit of kit. ScotRail - you might want a nose here.

Very minor point: there seemed to be an electrical issue causing the staff area and display lights to flash when at low speed - is that an issue with loco power on idle or something else?

Another question - I saw "maybe reserved" on some displays - is this an XC style thing or was it just a failure?

Only other thing I can think of is that the staff were sort of monopolising the end First Class seats like the VTWC "Coach K" issue (there was hardly anyone in First so they was no great issue on this occasion, however). This probably backs up that the catering area could really do with some sort of staff rest area with say a bay of 4 seats and a table.

Oh, one other thought - the vestibules seem narrow and access to the wheelchair area seems awkward - are there issues with wider wheelchairs getting access?
I’m pleased that you enjoyed your Nova 3 experience so much. It is a very classy train all round.

Was it the 13:44 off Scarborough that you traveled on? Pic below of the train leaving York.

Welcome to the Nova 3 gang, it’s where all the Cool CATs are;)

6A82E1E6-E87A-4790-9DF2-87BBBCFB2C0F.jpeg

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yep, that's the one, I boarded at York. Even if you had 4K level zoom you wouldn't see me, I was on the left hand side of the First Class coach behind the loco.

If anyone was also on that train in 1st (or may have seen me walking all the way through Standard having boarded at the wrong end), the giveaway is that I was probably the only person in the entire of Yorkshire wearing shorts.

For something I expected to be a bit of a bodge-job-on-the-cheap add-on to the CS order I was really quite impressed. A definite "big, proper train" feel, which the 80x sort of had too but with a very poor layout in 1st and worse seats in 1st (the Nova 3 has the same seat bases but different shaped cushions which are more like those in 185s than the standard 80x ones).

I still reckon the 397 might beat it due to the fully aligned Standard layout, but we shall have to see when I get a go, hopefully a bit later in December.

Last edited:

tpjm

Lighting on Class 397 is as good, if not better than Mk5a.

Staff area lighting has been noted - not sure on the technical details but definitely being looked into. Arguably a low priority snag.

“May Be Reserved” isn’t a bug. When the reservation system goes live, you’ll be able to reserve seats (and bikes) up to 15 mins before departure from the station, with the train downloading the reservation to show on the screen. Bikes is currently switched on at back office level (since May ‘19) but doesn’t send the data to the train. That message is showing as there is no reservation data to show yet.

No issue with big wheelchairs - it’s deceptively big. I aided two people on at Leeds who both had large wheelchairs a few weeks ago and provided they park in the right place, they’re a good fit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
“May Be Reserved” isn’t a bug. When the reservation system goes live, you’ll be able to reserve seats (and bikes) up to 15 mins before departure from the station

The origin, or any station XC style?

Good that the bike issue is sorted - TPE previously required it to be the day before (I think, or was it a couple of hours?) which is worse than useless. 5 minutes on VTWC, though, which TPE really should match. I suspect VTWC could do it closer than that but 5 minutes was presumably chosen to remove the risk posed by people running for trains (or cycling for them) with pushbikes. Obviously where reservations are compulsory there's no need to mark them.

No issue with big wheelchairs - it’s deceptively big. I aided two people on at Leeds who both had large wheelchairs a few weeks ago and provided they park in the right place, they’re a good fit.

Fair enough :)

tpjm

The origin, or any station XC style?
Any.

Good that the bike issue is sorted - TPE previously required it to be the day before (I think, or was it a couple of hours?) which is worse than useless. 5 minutes on VTWC, though, which TPE really should match. I suspect VTWC could do it closer than that but 5 minutes was presumably chosen to remove the risk posed by people running for trains (or cycling for them) with pushbikes. Obviously where reservations are compulsory there's no need to mark them.

It was originally 'the day before'. It's to do with the 'National Reservation Database'. TPE close the reservations for a train at some point in the early hours to enable the printing of paper reservation tickets. With the electronic SRS there is no need to close the reservations so early, hence the 'May be reserved'. Bikes have been modified so they don't print, this means that they don't 'close' with the rest of the reservations, slight caveat is that you don't know if a bike is booked or not on a Class 185, but that's a small price to pay for increased flexibility. Nova brings the convenience of knowing what you have reserved throughout the journey.

GrimShady

Established Member
Shame they never specified wood vinyles on the walls like CS did, to cover the most ghastly domination of plastic I've ever experienced on a train in Britain.

Agreed. It seems no different to the hideous 800 series trains.

The seats look very uncomfortable but the colours are spot on.

sjpowermac

Established Member
First mk.5 set north of York if I'm not mistaken. There was an extended stop planned at Yarm on the return working presumably for the usual platform tests, Yarm won't accommodate a full rake. For the record, the locomotive was on the Redcar end.
I’m in agreement, first Nova 3 north of York. Thank you for the shout about Yarm.

Great to see progress with Nova 3s to Redcar, I had started to wonder if the plan was to keep the route fully 185, pleased to be proved wrong!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That was always the plan, albeit before the extensions to Redcar were decided on.

Cool, more chances to find an excuse to ride on them particularly in 1st! Despite some cynicism (and the window alignment) I was very, very impressed, though I still think the 397 might win overall. The 80x was OK (same as any other 80x) but a pale imitation.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So any intrepid individuals managed to get a photo of the set at Redcar or anywhere else on route?

Status
Not open for further replies.