• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Mark 5A coaching stock progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

L+Y

As I understand it, training for York crews.

In addition, 68023 is stood on the Exam Road (siding adjacent to platform 2) at York, so I’m guessing that’s going to be involved in training too.
Fantastic news! I'd feared the Mk5 sets might risk going the same way as the 442s- hopefully this is a solid indicator I'm wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DBS92042

Established Member
As I understand it, both of those workings are operated by Freightliner, but happy to be corrected on that.
I've just seen this working at its 68026 & TP13. Not sure what the purpose of the working is though?

Mollman

Established Member
Fantastic news! I'd feared the Mk5 sets might risk going the same way as the 442s- hopefully this is a solid indicator I'm wrong.
There's quite a big difference between the 442 situation and Mk5s. Yes TPE could keep the 185s if there is nowhere else for them to go but depending on what timetable will be introduced there will be either a need for extra units or too many 3-car services. The book value of the 442s will also be a lot lower than that of the MK5s so unless the ROSCO can reject them and make it a CAF problem they will need to find work for them.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I've just seen this working at its 68026 & TP13. Not sure what the purpose of the working is though?
68026 hasn’t been in passenger service for quite some time. I wonder if it might have been some kind of test run or proving trip for some mods? Just a guess.

AndrewE

Established Member
"Working" is stretching the use of our language... the loco might be working, but the stock is of no use to passengers whatsoever!

sjpowermac

Established Member
"Working" is stretching the use of our language... the loco might be working, but the stock is of no use to passengers whatsoever!
TP13 has been in passenger service.

As I understand it, the loco/stock have had some modifications and so testing those on a non-passenger carrying run would make sense.

sbrignall72

There are now two sets at Gascoigne Wood, and only one class 68. Just seen them 5 minutes ago. If one set is TP09 what is the other

sjpowermac

Established Member
There are now two sets at Gascoigne Wood, and only one class 68. Just seen them 5 minutes ago. If one set is TP09 what is the other
TP01 and TP09 at Gascoigne Wood.
68023 is currently on the Exam Road at York and has been used on driver training runs to Scarborough on 06.05.2021 and 07.05.2021

Spartacus

Established Member
These look like rather curious moves tomorrow, Freightliner loco off Midland Road to Gascoigne Wood then loco & stock to Saltburn and back to Longsight, guess it'll be 68029. Seems things might be moving forwards now.

HST43257

Established Member
These look like rather curious moves tomorrow, Freightliner loco off Midland Road to Gascoigne Wood then loco & stock to Saltburn and back to Longsight, guess it'll be 68029. Seems things might be moving forwards now.

Would love them to get TPE to Saltburn if this stuff carries on.

Darandio

Established Member
Would love them to get TPE to Saltburn if this stuff carries on.

Still can't see that happening, the funding isn't there partly because Houchen chucked it at the airport. The will is there for it on other levels especially following a large amount of complaints from residents near the loop in Redcar and from wider residents about the extra 200 or so crossing moves during the week.

Extending that move to Saltburn tomorrow is simply to chuck it out of the way in a platform.

D6700

I believe these have been replaced by a direct run to Manchester:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:33052/2021-06-08/detailed

Ryry

And when it goes to saltburn it can utilise the bigger platform, though they do need to extend platform 2

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And when it goes to saltburn it can utilise the bigger platform, though they do need to extend platform 2
Considering its an island platform that might be a bit of a challenge without doing some fairly major engineering at the same time!

marsker

Whether it runs remains to be seen, but there's a 11:43 Milford Loop to Saltburn and a 14:34 return to Gasgoine Wood in RTT for Thursday 17th. Could it be a test run?

Last edited:

Seehof

Yesterday (Monday 14th June) both the 1334 and 1534 ex Scarborough were each substituted for a single 185. The guard on the 1334 apologised for both the reduced accommodation and the fact there were no seat reservations. What exactly is wrong with these modern looking but very noisy trains?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yesterday (Monday 14th June) both the 1334 and 1534 ex Scarborough were each substituted for a single 185. The guard on the 1334 apologised for both the reduced accommodation and the fact there were no seat reservations. What exactly is wrong with these modern looking but very noisy trains?

Whatever is wrong, TPE should at least try to substitute 6-car with their still-reduced frequency, especially at weekends. Their next timetable uplift isn't for a while so plenty of time to fix the problem.

It would be amazing if a spare 802 could work just one Redcar per day, thereby freeing up said units to keep Scarborough at the equivalent capacity of a Nova. The third Scarborough is a pair of 185s anyway because of reasons discussed here and elsewhere on this forum.

RHolmes

The class 68 failed at Ardwick

Whatever is wrong, TPE should at least try to substitute 6-car with their still-reduced frequency, especially at weekends. Their next timetable uplift isn't for a while so plenty of time to fix the problem.

It would be amazing if a spare 802 could work just one Redcar per day.

It’s not entirely possible to run it as a 6 car during failures as the Scarborough unit will come from York depot or from an existing 6 car 185 form the Redcar service or the other Scarbough (depending on which end of the route the failure occupies)

The Redcar service is crewed by depots who don’t sign the 802. It’s not physically possible in the existing timetable.

Ryry

What is the problem with nova 3 is the locomotive class 68 or is it the coaching stocks,

CAF397

That's the location (Ship Canal Sidings) for West Side crews to do traction training. No room on Longsight for a classroom.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Latest modern railways includes a piece on 68s being withdrawn due to underframe cracks. Has this been reported in the thread or is this new information??

Status
Not open for further replies.