• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE new CIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The new white LED PIS screens at Huddersfield have a redundant box on the left indicating the platform number, as a result only list the next 2 services rather than the next 3 as seen in the old ones. A backwards step imo. <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james2trains

Whilst Huddersfield is a TPE station rather than Northern, I'll not bother starting a new thread for one query:

The new white LED PIS screens at Huddersfield have a redundant box on the left indicating the platform number, as a result only list the next 2 services rather than the next 3 as seen in the old ones. A backwards step imo. <(

Do you have any photos of the new screens?

cprc

Whilst Huddersfield is a TPE station rather than Northern, I'll not bother starting a new thread for one query:

I thought the old screens only had one line at the bottom to show subsequent services which alternate between showing the 2nd and 3rd service? Do the new screens not work like this?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought the old screens only had one line at the bottom to show subsequent services which alternate between showing the 2nd and 3rd service? Do the new screens not work like this?

If they're the same ones as I've seen on a few GWR stations yes they do. Is it just that there was no third service within half an hour? They are often configured not to show trains more than half an hour away to stop people getting confused by an occasional platform showing the next train which isn't for 12 hours or something.

pdq

The new displays at HUD and DEW are far harder to read from a distance than the previous orange ones because the font is so much smaller.
I had a look at HUD this evening - the bottom row was scrolling 2nd and 3rd (when it wasn't showing info about the timetable changes). Only P4 had the platform displayed, which makes sense, as it's often subdivided into two platforms.
Attached photo is of one of the Dewsbury screens. IMG_20180517_172603.jpg

pemma

Veteran Member
^ Related to that photo. What's the point of ticket barriers being installed if they are left open in the evening peak?

geoffk

Established Member
The new displays at HUD and DEW are far harder to read from a distance than the previous orange ones because the font is so much smaller.
I had a look at HUD this evening - the bottom row was scrolling 2nd and 3rd (when it wasn't showing info about the timetable changes). Only P4 had the platform displayed, which makes sense, as it's often subdivided into two platforms.
Attached photo is of one of the Dewsbury screens. View attachment 46877
Can you still get into the West Riding pub from the platform at Dewsbury, or is it locked now?

_toommm_

Established Member
CIS-related, but there is a new message onboard the 185's (maybe the 350's) about CCTV, it now incorporates everyone's favourite 'If you see it, say it, and we'll sort it' message - this was noted aboard 1B87 on Wednesday.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Attached photo is of one of the Dewsbury screens. View attachment 46877

These are the same screens as added to WGC recently. The whole panel is LEDs so they can do graphics and shades of grey (from different brightness levels, or rapidly flashing them on and off to emulate this?) so they can be in any format as the software allows.

The older amber LED ones are rows of LEDs and lack that ability. I do find the white to be a lot clearer and easier to read at a distance.

BurtonM

Stalybridge has the white boards on 1-3, as well as the addition of 3 new square white LED departure boards around the station (two at the top of the 1-3 ramp, one on the wall of the booking office, designed to be viewed from outside the building) and some portrait monitors for departures to replace the old landscape ones. A help point was also replaced.
P4 also has two sets of portrait monitors, P5 has nothing yet.

The two boards on P4 are nice but if they could offset the timing for the annoying 'information' screen about engineering works etc, so the boards constantly showed departure information it'd be better.

The white LED boards smooth scroll, and are capable of showing diagram formation information, and scheduled calling point times.

I have found the diagram information to be unreliable, especially for 2x185.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I do wish they'd use only the bottom of the displays to scroll messages, like the timetable changes or anything else - thus always keeping the next train on the display.

On the summary departure boards, they could also split the screen up to keep the next 2 or 3 trains fixed on at all times, then scroll the others, and maybe use the bottom to, again, scroll information messages. Full dot matrix displays make all of this possible.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Formation diagram a very good thing - we're catching up Germany...only about 20 years later. Shame it isn't a nice little picture of a train, though, and it doesn't seem to clearly indicate the front with an arrow, picture of a cab or something. Would also be nice to have platform zones marked along it.

Small wins though :)

bearhugger

Formation diagram a very good thing

The formation always seems to be (in my own observations!) C - B - A at the moment. Hopefully there's something in the data feed that will allow for correct formation display at some point in the future which would be very useful for those with bikes or using wheelchairs.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And at Middlesbrough.

Ah now I'm little bit annoyed by what they've done at Middlesbrough! That summary of departures screen is located where the old orange LED screens were and that location is ideal as it's basically in the middle of the area where people wait to board trains on the platform so it's right next to passengers who are waiting.

When they took the orange ones out they put in those panels with a summary of departures and then added two white LED next train indicators but then put them at the far ends of the platform miles away from where anyone actually waits! Meaning that you're constantly squinting either at the summary screen which is next to you but the writing is small or at the next train indicators which have larger writing but are miles away!

I must say that, despite the criticism of placement, I do like the new screens an awful lot so I'm pleased that they've been put in. Middlesbrough has also gained a proper set of screens in the concourse area including a summary of arrivals, departures and four screens showing the next set of departures in detail. Very welcome improvement. Just as shame they put the screens on the platform in the wrong place.

pemma

Veteran Member
Formation diagram a very good thing - we're catching up Germany...only about 20 years later. Shame it isn't a nice little picture of a train, though, and it doesn't seem to clearly indicate the front with an arrow, picture of a cab or something. Would also be nice to have platform zones marked along it.

The formation things on German displays are especially useful for portion working and are easy to understand for foreign tourists as well as locals.

bearhugger

Ah now I'm little bit annoyed by what they've done at Middlesbrough! That summary of departures screen is located where the old orange LED screens were and that location is ideal as it's basically in the middle of the area where people wait to board trains on the platform so it's right next to passengers who are waiting.

When they took the orange ones out they put in those panels with a summary of departures and then added two white LED next train indicators but then put them at the far ends of the platform miles away from where anyone actually waits! Meaning that you're constantly squinting either at the summary screen which is next to you but the writing is small or at the next train indicators which have larger writing but are miles away!

I must say that, despite the criticism of placement, I do like the new screens an awful lot so I'm pleased that they've been put in. Middlesbrough has also gained a proper set of screens in the concourse area including a summary of arrivals, departures and four screens showing the next set of departures in detail. Very welcome improvement. Just as shame they put the screens on the platform in the wrong place.
I understand even members of the station staff aren't particularly happy with the extremities of the screens. They seemed to imply that the screens are positioned well for the guards on class 185 trains ready for dispatch, but useless as you say for passengers.

J-P_L

CIS-related, but there is a new message onboard the 185's (maybe the 350's) about CCTV, it now incorporates everyone's favourite 'If you see it, say it, and we'll sort it' message - this was noted aboard 1B87 on Wednesday.

They also have scrolling messages about ExStream and WiFi now as well... even on an unrefurbished unit I was on

xotGD

Established Member
I was impressed by the new screens at Middlesbrough. All the information you could possibly want.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There's also a bank of A-Z departure screens in Huddersfield that's located on the opposite wall from the older departure board. Its only platform eight that still has the original LED departure screens, the other platforms have the new white ones.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was impressed by the new screens at Middlesbrough. All the information you could possibly want.

Yes same, I was very impressed when I saw them all in place. I just wish they hadn't messed up the positioning on the platforms. So close and yet so far!

Andyh82

Established Member
There's also a bank of A-Z departure screens in Huddersfield that's located on the opposite wall from the older departure board. Its only platform eight that still has the original LED departure screens, the other platforms have the new white ones.
Platform 1 still has an old screen.

The new screens on the concourse are positioned in an odd place, you now arrive in the station and have to go out of your way to see the departure boards.

londonmidland

Established Member
I wonder if this has anything to do with the P.A upgrade which happened a few months back?

It was converted from Siemens software to ATOS.

james2trains

These are the new screens on the concourse at Huddersfield.

Attachments

• IMG-20180519-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180519-WA0000.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG-20180519-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180519-WA0001.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 166

Andyh82

Established Member
The fact they straddle the barrier line so you have to stand facing the right hand ones, to look at the left hand ones, isn't ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.