• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE - New Positions and Application Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanc688

Guys & Gals,

FTPE trainee driver jobs on the First Group website have now come up for Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield.

Fill your boots and good luck. Closing mid July!

Best regards
Lanc
;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
Filling in the online application form for FTPE... on the boxes where you can type in answers there is the option to check what you have written by clicking a little icon next to the box... it will show you how many words you've typed etc, but also lists "Inappropriate words". In one of my boxes it said I had used 1 inappropriate word - the word was "Always"...

Any idea why this is inappropriate?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Here we go again! Didn't pass the paper sift for this back in January... DID pass the paper sift for Northern a little later... so this time have used more of my Northern application in this one (I know it may not help but worth a shot...)

Good luck to anyone else going for it... :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Sorry for asking a second question in as many hours but...

I completed the application form for FTPE trainee, selecting Manchester (I did consider selecting Liverpool too as I am less than an hour away... but decided it could be a risky move so stuck to Manchester)...

However I just checked the confirmation email.. and it says:

Thank you for taking the time to submit an application for a Trainee Train Driver (Liverpool, Manchester & Sheffield) [First TransPennine Express] role at Liverpool Lime Street with First.
!!

Is that just a standard email? Because the actual role on the website jobs list does list the City as Liverpool...

Reeeeeally hope I didn't accidentally move the cursor and choose Liverpool as my preferred choice! :oops:

Sunday_mornin

I'm sure you won't mind too much if they offer you a position at Lime Street.

Going to have a sit down with this application myself tomorrow, Manchester or
Liverpool will do nicely thank you.

Best of luck anyways Martin.

Beveridges

Established Member
At least there would generally be a lot less competition for the job at Liverpool than there would be at Manchester so probably more chance of getting it

Beveridges

Established Member
I dont know why "always" is but its best to get rid of inappropriate words or the computer screening automatically rejects it

reapz

The site is terrible it uses an american spell checker so if you wrote "colour" you could get rejected for not using "color" (the american way).

Basicly its terrible

Beveridges

Established Member
FTPE app form is absolutely terrible and think that the "fight against the interface" is a test in itself to get the numbers down and to see if you are dedicated enough to complete the awful form.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Pretty sure I've failed at the first hurdle again - I only discovered that little "word filter" box on the second page, and once you're on the second page there is no way of going back to the first page (where you write about your previous roles), and I think I used the word "always" at some point in there...

I even tried cancelling the application and going back in, but you can only go back to where you were when you cancelled...

What a frustrating reason to fail! Ah well, better luck in six months' time!

Established Member
I believe FirstGroup have one of the best, most reliable online application systems for a TOC in this country, and it would never pointlessly filter out much of the English Language.

I also believe in fairies, the easter bunny and santa.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Do you know, if you "remove yourself from consideration", does it let you re-apply? Or does that technically count as being unsuccessful, wait 6 month"?

Silv1983

On the Application Profile page - when I tick 'No' for the two questions regarding working for First previously and Rail assessment days - as well as (more importantly) 'No' for 'Any previous criminal convictions' - it show up as 'Unknown' on the summary page when submitted. I have been back in to re-edit it and the form has cleared the options I checked - but once re-checked and submitted they go again. Really frustrating.

Silv1983

Hey guys - at what part of the application does it ask which depot you prefer? It's showing "Liverpool" on the application summary page for me but i've only done the first application profile page as yet. Cheers

martin2345uk

Established Member
On the Application Profile page - when I tick 'No' for the two questions regarding working for First previously and Rail assessment days - as well as (more importantly) 'No' for 'Any previous criminal convictions' - it show up as 'Unknown' on the summary page when submitted. I have been back in to re-edit it and the form has cleared the options I checked - but once re-checked and submitted they go again. Really frustrating.

I feel your pain. Maybe it's just a "random error generator" they have implemented to reduce the number of successful applications :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
As you will have seen from other posts I also experienced this pain...

I filled in the bit where it asks you about your previous roles, then after that was the questionnaire page with loads of radio buttons and "what challenges will you face" etc...

that was it for me, it was just "submit"... though I'm still a bit annoyed I'm going to be rejected because I used the word ALWAYS!!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hey guys - at what part of the application does it ask which depot you prefer? It's showing "Liverpool" on the application summary page for me but i've only done the first application profile page as yet. Cheers

I don't remember where exactly it was but I think there were only 2 pages in the application so it can't have been too hard to locate... it was a dropdown list where you could choose from I think 3 locations, you could choose all 3 if you wanted to. I chose Manchester, but they seem to have now put my application down for Liverpool :-x

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Thats my application in fingers crossed :|

Best of luck everyone applying for it

reapz

I'm sure that won't be an issue. The word checker tried to get me to change "behaviour" to "behavior". This isn't America so I ignored it!

You dont get it your application doesnt get read by a person it gets screened by the crappy software at this stage and if you have xxx ammount of mistakes it auto sends a rejections at set intervals.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've merged together 4 different threads, all on the theme of the TPE application process.

Lanc688

Max......good job.

My app will be done this week some time (working all weekend), but I have to say from reading this thread - not overly looking forward to it.

I have managed to construct a draft in word tho and the first page will be a cut & paste from that....gotta be the way to do it?

lanc

Silv1983

Hey folks - submitted my application. The gremlins seemed to have ironed themselves out.
A quick question regarding the 'check status application' page: have those that have applied submitted a covering letter and uploaded a CV? Or is this for speculative candidates only. I get the impression that they are not required, and I can't seem to find any instruction to complete them both (they're certainly not needed to complete a submission). Cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You dont get it your application doesnt get read by a person it gets screened by the crappy software at this stage and if you have xxx ammount of mistakes it auto sends a rejections at set intervals.

This concerns me because the "spell-checker" threw up a few "errors" which were simply words and/or jargon relating to my current role that it didn't have in its database. If I get rejected due to this surely a human being can be contacted and the thing appealed. Finger's crossed anyway.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
You dont need at cv or covering letter for this role.

What depot are you applying for ?
I notice they are recruting for a senior driving instructor aswell at Liverpool..

Does anyone know what routes the Liverpool depot will be looking after?

Class185

You dont need at cv or covering letter for this role.

What depot are you applying for ?
I notice they are recruting for a senior driving instructor aswell at Liverpool..

Does anyone know what routes the Liverpool depot will be looking after?

I assume these are for the additional hourly Newcastle service from Liverpool that is planned. Possibly with future Scotland services being discussed (Not Confirmed) it may be to include these as well.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Ive heard the Scotland to Liverpool routes being mentiones a lot but with refranchise due in a couple of years
I wonder XC or ICWC take these
Routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.