• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkkne

Won't comment on the seats, but that colour scheme must be the dullest we've ever had. Even worse than the original GWR ones and a far cry from the Azuma.

as I end up standing for half the route most days on my commutes from Manchester to Newcastle, they could cover the seats in bright green and have them smelling of pineapples and I wouldn’t care to be honest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

high camera

I was on it today Liverpool to Manchester at 09.25 actually by pure chance as I was expecting a 185.

Looks absolutely stunning on the outside, inside I would call in "functional" but nice and bright. My only criticism was that its a pain to get to the power socket or USBs under the seat, I ended up crawling on the carpet to locate them !, with practice locating the holes blind should improve.

Seats are firm but OK. As a direct comparison later in the day I headed south on a Pendolino, that was like putting on a favourite glove or sitting in your favourite armchair !

Anyway I was chuffed to have stumbled into being part of a small moment in history today and the sight of it thrashing or should I say gliding up the Miles Platting gradient was awesome.

Class455

Established Member
I took this between Huddersfield and Leeds today on the return working after only finding out it was running an hour before from a friend of mine. I really enjoyed the ride! Took one of my flatmates at uni with me for the ride who was really impressed! Seats were a bit hard though. The PIS was strangely saying the train was going to Edinburgh Waverley though, did anyone else notice this?

yrreb

It's strange because a photographer caught it arriving Newton Le Willows in diesel then raised the front pantograph before continuing to Lime St.
That's really odd, it definitely departed for from Vic to Liv on electric so unless they tested a switch over at speed? Wasn't something I noticed

td97

Established Member

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Won't comment on the seats, but that colour scheme must be the dullest we've ever had. Even worse than the original GWR ones and a far cry from the Azuma.

Do you reckon? I think the blue adds a touch of class compared with the boring grey GWR or brash Azuma red. Same rubbish seats though.

class387

Established Member
Do you reckon? I think the blue adds a touch of class compared with the boring grey GWR or brash Azuma red. Same rubbish seats though.
From that angle, yes. Looks like a longer distance 700 to me. It would be interesting to see it with the carpet though as the TPE carpet could make it quite a bit nicer.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I was on it from Huddersfield to Leeds

Impressions:
Well I've been on the GWR sets and the LNER Azuma, so quite similar to those really! Needs lots of fuel for a heavy train going up the hills especially out of Mirfield towards Dewsbury. Comfortable enough and wasn't very full - probably due to all those extra seats!
I look forward to seeing these enter squadron service in the coming weeks and months.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
I must say I'm not overly impressed with first class. My mind might be changes once in squadron service and with catering but we will see....

Attachments

• IMG_20190820_100629~2.jpg
    IMG_20190820_100629~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 270

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Looks like another one is out today.

9M07 09:00 NCL-LIV allocated 802 203.

Showing as coming in to Newcastle as 9E05 but no Running reports for 9E05 showing...

Edit:- 5E05 running in its path. 18 late.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Established Member

Showing as coming in to Newcastle as 9E05 but no Running reports for 9E05 showing...

Yep, just seen that one, through platform 1 at Dewsbury.

Phlip

Both in and outbound services shown as cancelled due to lack of drivers on TPE Journey Check

Which begs the question: Who’s driving 5E05?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I mean, like this view of standard?

The more I see that, the classier I think it looks. I think the blue is a bit darker than the 350s, so a bit less resemblent of old Eastern European LHCS? Maybe it's because of the similar scheme (though sadly the wood is fake and the seats not as good), but it's the first UK interior that strikes me as easily looking as classy as the ICE (which, to be fair, is similarly a wood/glass/white plastic/blue seats combo).

Would be nice for First to give us that (but better seats) in the Pendolino refurb.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I must say I'm not overly impressed with first class. My mind might be changes once in squadron service and with catering but we will see....

It's basically the same as the GWR sets with a nicer colour scheme, right? The table seats look decent and are window aligned. The single seats (much as I favour these) I believe have been misaligned and are a bit cramped purely to squeeze one (1) more seat in?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Which begs the question: Who’s driving 5E05?

802 qualified drivers. There aren't many 802 qualified conductors yet, so far only instructors are passed out. They will however be using these ECS (dummy) runs as training opportunities

Iskra

Established Member
By chance I’m in Huddersfield this evening, can anyone confirm if there is any new TP stuff passing through that I can have a quick run on?

Cuboid

Very much looking forward to these coming into service at some point before the next millenium, same with the MK5As. I've sat on the Azuma one's and personally found them just fine to me.

At this point in time I couldn't care less about the comfort of the seats. I just want the seat I've paid for on my commute to & from work, I absolutely dispise standing. If I was leisure travelling I might have a different reaction to the seat but I'm sick to the back teeth of standing. The ideal timed trains for me to/from work & Leeds all start/end at the Airport so it's infuriating to find the train full of people and so much luggage you struggle to stand.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Very much looking forward to these coming into service at some point before the next millenium, same with the MK5As. I've sat on the Azuma one's and personally found them just fine to me.

At this point in time I couldn't care less about the comfort of the seats. I just want the seat I've paid for on my commute to & from work, I absolutely dispise standing. If I was leisure travelling I might have a different reaction to the seat but I'm sick to the back teeth of standing. The ideal timed trains for me to/from work & Leeds all start/end at the Airport so it's infuriating to find the train full of people and so much luggage you struggle to stand.

Very true, these will certainly provide much-needed capacity (though I do fear not quite enough when the quality of the new offering attracts far more people - I think they will need extending to 7-8 car in short order).

Cuboid

Very true, these will certainly provide much-needed capacity (though I do fear not quite enough when the quality of the new offering attracts far more people - I think they will need extending to 7-8 car in short order).

Yep, that's also the other really irritating thing. We're (finally) getting these swish, fancy, new slightly longer trains but within 2-5 years (short time in the train's expected 30-35 year lifespan) we will be back at square one again and I sincerely hope this time that funds are available to extend all TPE units to 6-8 carriages as standard like they should have been ordered with in the first place.

However, out of TPE's 3x train types, I much prefer the look & feel of the 802s though. Looking forward to trying them out when in service. :)

Spartacus

Established Member
Yep, that's also the other really irritating thing. We're (finally) getting these swish, fancy, new slightly longer trains but within 2-5 years (short time in the train's expected 30-35 year lifespan) we will be back at square one again and I sincerely hope this time that funds are available to extend all TPE units to 6-8 carriages as standard like they should have been ordered with in the first place.

However, out of TPE's 3x train types, I much prefer the look & feel of the 802s though. Looking forward to trying them out when in service. :)

Any longer than 5 cars and a good few platforms would need altering to accommodate them, along with signal placement and possibly pointwork in a few locations as the vehicles are longer than those of a 185.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

They do look good, though I think the WCML EMUs could beat them. They definitely seem to have higher build quality than any of the CAF kit I've seen so far. Indeed, the only thing I really don't like about 80x is the seats, and as those have been used in all the other stock that isn't a consideration anyway. And I do like the colour scheme inside and out. And with 26m vehicles the capacity will be good, too.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Last edited:

ash39

Established Member

You haven't paid for a seat, you've paid for the journey. I sympathise though, I'd hate to use TPE every day especially over the past couple of years.

I think the true effect of the new stock won't be measurable until they are all in service. Once TPE can start to sell advance tickets based on guaranteed 5 car trains, hopefully they can manage demand better than currently.

I would still expect standing on peak trains though. The route connects the three biggest cities in the north, demand for travel on this route is only going one way... hopefully some forethought has been considered regarding extending the sets in future.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
5M07 racked up a 40 minute delay around Morley today, after leaving Leeds on time.
I couldn't see an earlier problem there on RTT.
That delayed following services, one of which was terminated at Manchester Victoria.

I don't really get the deal where a service train is cancelled and an ECS run in its path.
Surely the 185 which normally runs this service would have been hanging around spare at Newcastle?
Why should passengers be disrupted because TPE decide to do some extra training on the day?
The real losers would be Liverpool passengers who would have to wait an hour for the next service (or change en route).
Two other TPE Liverpool services didn't make it past Victoria today.

Status
Not open for further replies.