• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crisps

Traction motor hum from under the train isn't the issue. Taurus they ain't but the motors make a lovely sound I think anyway...
Its the high pitched electrical buzz that you can hear at one end of the traction oaches however is bloody awful!
That’s what I meant - it was coming from above, not below, and was annoyingly noticeable on both the TPE and LNER 801/2 I rode on yesterday.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Been on one now...it's an 80x so all standard observations, good and bad, apply :)

Probably the nicest interior colour scheme I've seen one in yet though.

Minor additional observations: the cushion in 1st is too low and pushes into the back of my shoulders. Best avoid LNER 1st then, with the larger cushion that will be horrid. Also half of the coveted single seats are priority seats, which I would say was a bad choice, and all face one way which is also poor design. Also they could do with fitting some luggage racks in the window blanks as there are none in 1st.

GrimShady

Established Member
and the stupid lip nearest the window is basically wasted space.

Yeah I've pointed that out before on a few posts. What exactly was the point in it? Another stupid design with no thought.

fowler9

Established Member
Was booked on one from York to Liverpool yesterday but sadly the whole diagram was cancelled allegedly due to vandalism! Been on a few from Liverpool to Manchester though and I'm really impressed, especially thinking back to the 185 I ended up on last night. The livery really suits them aswell, looks much better than the LNER Hitachi units.

SHerr

Was booked on one from York to Liverpool yesterday but sadly the whole diagram was cancelled allegedly due to vandalism! Been on a few from Liverpool to Manchester though and I'm really impressed, especially thinking back to the 185 I ended up on last night. The livery really suits them aswell, looks much better than the LNER Hitachi units.

TPE are still announcing a diagram cancelled today due to Vandalism. 07-09 from Newcastle and onwards through the day - does anyone know what happened and how many units are affected? Considering how many 802s are supposedly accepted it sounds strange to still be cancelling trains on Thursday for something that appears to have occurred on Sun/Mon. Is this a mass vandalism or are we looking at a very convenient cover for ‘no staff available’?

Killingworth

Established Member
TPE are still announcing a diagram cancelled today due to Vandalism. 07-09 from Newcastle and onwards through the day - does anyone know what happened and how many units are affected? Considering how many 802s are supposedly accepted it sounds strange to still be cancelling trains on Thursday for something that appears to have occurred on Sun/Mon. Is this a mass vandalism or are we looking at a very convenient cover for ‘no staff available’?

We on South Pennine hear the reports of new trains being a big improvement on 185s, units we were hoping to get more of earlier this year. Far from getting more we've lost the one 6 car diagram we've had for some time as well as the second we started getting a few weeks ago.

TPE seem determined to wind us all up with glowing press releases while delivering cancelled, short formed and late services across the franchise. Things must surely get better very soon. Wishful thinking, I know.

3973EXL

Established Member
5X53/5Q68/5Q69 Eastleigh - Acton - Doncaster - Heaton
802208 TPE livery

Class455

Established Member
5X53/5Q68/5Q69 Eastleigh - Acton - Doncaster - Heaton
802208 TPE livery
Damn I was hoping this would go back next week.....
Are there any other 802's currently at Eastleigh or any more due to go there? Surely all the unbranded units currently in service have to go to Eastleigh at some point.
802204 was last reported there so not sure if it is still at Eastleigh

Class455

Established Member
802213 was working 5Q90/5Q91 Doncaster IEP Depot to London Kings Cross and back today. Saw it pass my LNER Azuma north of Huntingdon.
A similar move is set to take place tomorrow from Heaton, any chance that this could be a Nova 1?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What's that gone down there for? Hull Trains driver training? If so perhaps they might bother operating all of their own franchised services before hiring units to an open access operator for theirs.

We've had this before. It's lack of staff affecting tpe not lack of trains... This train is likely to be doing absolutely nothing otherwise.

D6700

What's that gone down there for? Hull Trains driver training? If so perhaps they might bother operating all of their own franchised services before hiring units to an open access operator for theirs.
Looking on RTT, these movements were operated by GBRF, who do the testing and running in before units are passed to the TOCs. But even if it were being operated by Hull Trains, as long as TPE have enough units to cover their limited trained driver availability, then there's no issue anyway.

SuperNova

This train was badly vandalised at Heaton depot and requires complete re-vinyling - This was in no way "convenient".

Class455

Established Member
There’s something heading down from Tyne Sidings down to Eastleigh via Acton Main Line tonight (headcode is 5Q50), any idea if this is a Nova 1 heading down to be Vinyled?

notabasher

Tried one for the first time on Saturday. Arrived into Manchester Victoria under diesel power. Departed 2 minutes later under electric. Generally very impressed although the interior is quite spartan in the style that was started by the class 444 Desiros.

3973EXL

Established Member
There’s something heading down from Tyne Sidings down to Eastleigh via Acton Main Line tonight (headcode is 5Q50), any idea if this is a Nova 1 heading down to be Vinyled?
66 hauled LNER 801221

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
One thing I spotted on one of these tonight that I found quite amusing was a rather basic sticker stuck over the first aid compartment that basically said 'if this seal is broken make sure you check in here as the first aid stuff may have been used!'

I can't see that sticker lasting in pristine sealed condition for too long just due to general wear and tear, I would have thought there would be routine checks on the first aid kit anyway due to 'Elf and Safety!

plugwash

Established Member
I would assume after checking the first aid compartment (either on a routine check or because the seal was found to be broken) a new sticker would be placed.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
From the Class 800/801/802 group on FB - 802210 at York this morning:

1AE5F3E3-08A9-450A-8F65-2237866C3E52.jpeg
19CE3C6B-4273-4F4B-B3FE-AF53A3D5B661.jpeg

Went onto a non-electrified line with pan up apparently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.