• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimShady

Established Member
The black fronts will look absolutely fantastic though with the TPE fluorescent blue livery. Best train/livery combo on the rail network.

branded_Hitachi.jpg

I think a bit of yellow on the ends wouldn't go a miss, Pendolino style.

GrimShady

Established Member
Yep, all the new TPE stock has them. A very, very poor choice indeed; the FISA LEAN seats in the Greater Anglia EMUs look much nicer and are clearly compliant.

Well that's a let down! New fleet of lovely trains ruined by garbage seats!

GrimShady

Established Member
Quite. Poor alignment in the Mk5s too (well aligned in the EMUs, not sure about the 802s).

Very disappointing, they had a real chance here to improve things same as ScotRails 385s. The only upside is maybe in years to come they'll be a national backlash against these stupid uncomfortable seats that have infected passenger trains.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Let's leave the seat stuff alone shall we? We do not need every thread to cover the same tired talking points about the same seats again and again. Please focus on other aspects of the 802/2s that TPE are getting. Anyone who is desperate to share their views on seating is welcome to start a new thread dedicated to that topic.

387star

On Moderation
why weren't these ordered for the Glasgow services as well rather than a separate EMU?

Chuggington21

Again anyone got any more info on these and new pics or info on testing runs? Any good pics of the drivers cab?

coxxy

How many 802's do TPE have in the country at the minute? I know they've been testing them on the ECML but it's gone very quiet.. does anyone also know when were likely to see the 802 in a TPE livery etc?

Established Member
How many 802's do TPE have in the country at the minute? I know they've been testing them on the ECML but it's gone very quiet.. does anyone also know when were likely to see the 802 in a TPE livery etc?
2, 802201 and 802202.

59CosG95

Established Member
There are 2 sets in the country at present - 802201 & 802202. No news yet on where the remaining 17 will be built, as Pistoia is currently occupied delivering 802/1s to GWR amongst other work, Newton Aycliffe is rammed to the gunwhales with 800s/801s for LNER & 385s for ScotRail, and Kasado...well, who knows? I can't pretend I know the first thing about what goes on in there.

As to the livery details, I'd say it's highly likely we'll see a fully liveried "Nova 1" by this time next year. ;)

coxxy

Cheers guys :)

Just wasn't sure exactly where it was up too.. been very quiet on the 802's...

Jonny

Established Member
There are 2 sets in the country at present - 802201 & 802202. No news yet on where the remaining 17 will be built, as Pistoia is currently occupied delivering 802/1s to GWR amongst other work, Newton Aycliffe is rammed to the gunwhales with 800s/801s for LNER & 385s for ScotRail, and Kasado...well, who knows? I can't pretend I know the first thing about what goes on in there.

As to the livery details, I'd say it's highly likely we'll see a fully liveried "Nova 1" by this time next year. ;)

I've heard Pistoia mentioned as a build location for the TPEs, as they were a follow-on to the GWR 802s anyway, and they would be next.

BMIFlyer

There will be a class 802 heading into relivery on Thursday and will reappear in full TPE colours before the end of December.

Let's leave the seat stuff alone shall we? We do not need every thread to cover the same tired talking points about the same seats again and again. Please focus on other aspects of the 802/2s that TPE are getting. Anyone who is desperate to share their views on seating is welcome to start a new thread dedicated to that topic.

But why? These threads are for discussion about anything relating to the TPE Nova 1. The seats are part of this train and are therefor part of the discussion. I don't get why people moan about seat discussion.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
But why? These threads are for discussion about anything relating to the TPE Nova 1. The seats are part of this train and are therefor part of the discussion. I don't get why people moan about seat discussion.
Have you read every new train thread over the last six months and read the decent into war on ironing boards or equivalent?

Are these ever in Scotland much. I see the LNER 5 car alot but never TPE 802
802201 was a regular visitor to Edinburgh when it was delivered. However has not been seen again in the last couple of Months. Only an odd visit by the LNER 5 Car sets. Heading from Doncaster to Inverness of late. Working on electric to Edinburgh too. Then diesel from there North.

Have you read every new train thread over the last six months and read the decent into war on ironing boards or equivalent?

I have many threads about many new trains and yes, there is a lot of talk about seats. But it's no different than people constantly talking about other things.

lammergeier

I have many threads about many new trains and yes, there is a lot of talk about seats. But it's no different than people constantly talking about other things.

I agree, not sure why seat discussion off limits considering how important they are. Far more important than livery or such like. Whilst cars and buses become ever more comfortable, it's a genuine concern that the railway seems to want to go backwards in this regard.

anamyd

On Moderation
I agree, not sure why seat discussion off limits considering how important they are. Far more important than livery or such like. Whilst cars and buses become ever more comfortable, it's a genuine concern that the railway seems to want to go backwards in this regard.
Where's the "like" button when you need it...?

causton

Established Member

But for those of us who do not mind 'ironing board' seats, unless there is any substantially important or new information it is just the same content repeated over, and over, and over, and over... we get it, many people don't like new seats, and many people don't notice the difference, and some people probably like the new ones better (when I had muscle pain on the back of my thigh I would have loved an ironing board seat vice the 'contour' stabbing the back of my knee!) but if everyone just repeats the same message over and over again there will be nothing worth reading from people who want to learn new facts, ideas and views, rather than an echo!

Chuggington21

802201 was a regular visitor to Edinburgh when it was delivered. However has not been seen again in the last couple of Months. Only an odd visit by the LNER 5 Car sets. Heading from Doncaster to Inverness of late. Working on electric to Edinburgh too. Then diesel from there North.
Thanks for the reply

lammergeier

But for those of us who do not mind 'ironing board' seats, unless there is any substantially important or new information it is just the same content repeated over, and over, and over, and over... we get it, many people don't like new seats, and many people don't notice the difference, and some people probably like the new ones better (when I had muscle pain on the back of my thigh I would have loved an ironing board seat vice the 'contour' stabbing the back of my knee!) but if everyone just repeats the same message over and over again there will be nothing worth reading from people who want to learn new facts, ideas and views, rather than an echo!
I'm genuinely pleased some people like them, but the fact remains that this issue has resulted in national headlines, the RSSB belatedly launching a project in response, a government minister lying about it then getting found out (Jo Johnsons claim that they will get better with age) and untold number of complaints to operators.

It is in our interest as an industry, and even as a country as a whole, for rail to compete for business and tempt people away from cars, buses, Ubers, internal flights etc. Whether you agree or not, comfort will play a role in rail's offer to passengers, perhaps less so on Thameslink where many complaints stem from but certainly on the likes of GWR, LNER and, back on topic, TPE. This is a new fleet so accustions that the same arguments are being repeated over and over don't stand.

So you'll have to forgive myself and others who see the diminishing levels of comfort offered in new stock as a concern and more important than other trivialities which are seemingly discussed at leisure.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'm genuinely pleased some people like them, but the fact remains that this issue has resulted in national headlines, the RSSB belatedly launching a project in response, a government minister lying about it then getting found out (Jo Johnsons claim that they will get better with age) and untold number of complaints to operators.

It is in our interest as an industry, and even as a country as a whole, for rail to compete for business and tempt people away from cars, buses, Ubers, internal flights etc. Whether you agree or not, comfort will play a role in rail's offer to passengers, perhaps less so on Thameslink where many complaints stem from but certainly on the likes of GWR, LNER and, back on topic, TPE. This is a new fleet so accustions that the same arguments are being repeated over and over don't stand.

So you'll have to forgive myself and others who see the diminishing levels of comfort offered in new stock as a concern and more important than other trivialities which are seemingly discussed at leisure.
Unless an actual study is commissioned, you will never have a proper answer. From all the various opinions I've heard I think regular ironing boards as per 387s are probably near to 50/50, or maybe 60% dislike, 40% like. In the case of the 800 series, it's more like 75% dislike, 25% like. I think they're generally regarded as unsatisfactory, but the problem is, complaining here isn't going to change anything, nor even is complaining to the operator. It's just something we will have to put up with.
The disdain regarding posts about seating is largely because it's something a lot of us agree with and accept but there's nothing we can do about it and, as important as the matter is, finding information about anything else about the trains means wading through dozens of pages of seat complaints first. That only serves to highlight that I do think it's a real problem, but so be it.

I can see 1999-2010 ish being considered a 'golden age' of sorts for rolling stock, modern enough to be air-conditioned and fairly comfortable but old enough to have proper seats. Granted, in the case of intercity stock that date period expands earlier.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Can somebody explain the reasoning why an 802 has been built for TPE in advance of the main fleet?
802s in general are appearing on the network so there's no issue about certification, and any production 802 can be used for things like clearance tests on TPE routes.
I would have thought TPE has its hands full with the introduction of the other new fleets at the moment.
Or is there something materially different about TPE's 802s?

samuelmorris

Established Member
They'll be testing on different routes to the rest of the units and it's probably a lot easier to keep a separate unit so TPE's testing isn't contingent on any variations to the testing regime for the other operators. Since they're so similar, no harm in building one early to get all the testing done with. Seems fairly sensible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.