• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fuzzytop

I note the long-term rolling stock strategy report referred to these a few times (most notably on pg48) as units of Class 803. Am I correct in assuming the general consensus that these will indeed be a subclass of 802s?

I'll certainly miss the non-yellow front ends, but I do think the AT300s suit a black nose. After all, the VTEC services on that end of the line will be running around with black noses too.

Domh245

Established Member
I note the long-term rolling stock strategy report referred to these a few times (most notably on pg48) as units of Class 803. Am I correct in assuming the general consensus that these will indeed be a subclass of 802s?

Consensus seems to be 802/2, with the Hull Trains units being 802/3

Interesting they're being built in white - most other stock is built in the planned livery base colour.

The base colour is grey for TPE, with the blue, purple and black bits being added on afterwards. Shouldn't really come as a surprise as it's pretty much identical to the teaser shots of the first 397 shell from a few months ago

Domh245

Established Member
That 802 definitely looks white, not grey.

Definitely grey when you compare it to the white of the original 800s

IEP%20train.jpg

td97

Established Member
Hitachi Rail Europe have provided a press release this morning regarding the shipment of the first Hitachi 802 for TransPennine Express, from Kasado, Japan. The 2 month shipment timescale means it will arrive in June, for introduction to service in summer 2019.
Also interesting is that you can track the progress of the shipment here.
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/hitach...rm-journeys-in-the-north-and-scotland-2483541

(I am aware of the current 200+ page class 800 thread, but given:
a. This is a class 802 and not 800
b. The class 800 thread has mainly focused on the IEP program for Azuma & GWR
c. TPE have branded them as Nova
...It is probably easier to have a dedicated thread for the TPE trains, as otherwise the details will be lost in the midst of the 800 thread before any new news regarding these trains arrives, probably in June.)

Established Member
Although I'm not sure there is right lot to say really, you can see it has a smaller kitchen than other 800's as expected, and we know what the interior colour scheme and seats are going to be like from the MK5 pictures.

Established Member
Although I'm not sure there is right lot to say really, you can see it has a smaller kitchen than other 800's as expected, and we know what the interior colour scheme and seats are going to be like from the MK5 pictures.

Although of course the Interior of Loco Hauled stock will be vastly superior regardless by virtue of the fact that its a Loco Hauled Train:lol::lol:

D365

Veteran Member
To be honest, I’d completely forgotten about the Nova thing - well aside from the Vauxhall jokes.

Seems a bit half-hearted so far.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Although of course the Interior of Loco Hauled stock will be vastly superior regardless by virtue of the fact that its a Loco Hauled Train:lol::lol:

I reckon the CAF EMUs for the WCML will be the stars of the fleet (!), as First have stated they will have full window alignment throughout in Standard. (I'm assuming everything else is going to be identical i.e. seats and colour schemes).

AndrewNewens

Apologies if this posted twice (also in Nova thread). This from the Northern Echo today regarding the build of Hitachi trains for TPE. Much fuss about this having nothing to do with Brexit, but they would say that wouldn't they. The same week that Nissan up the road in Sunderland announce lay-offs of several hundred workers..... how strange.

Northern Echo said:
"TRAIN builder Hitachi has said a decision to move work from its County Durham factory to Italy was because of workloads and has nothing to do with it gearing up for Brexit.

The Japanese firm was due to make a new fleet of intercity trains for Transpennine Express next year at its plant in Newton Aycliffe. However, these trains will now be built at Pistoia, Tuscany as the production line at Aycliffe will be full in 2019, the firm told The Northern Echo, stressing that this decision would not put North-East jobs at risk and has nothing to do with Brexit."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/bu...oduction_from_County_Durham__to_Italy/?ref=eb

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Apologies if this posted twice (also in Nova thread). This from the Northern Echo today regarding the build of Hitachi trains for TPE. Much fuss about this having nothing to do with Brexit, but they would say that wouldn't they. The same week that Nissan up the road in Sunderland announce lay-offs of several hundred workers..... how strange.

"TRAIN builder Hitachi has said a decision to move work from its County Durham factory to Italy was because of workloads and has nothing to do with it gearing up for Brexit.

The Japanese firm was due to make a new fleet of intercity trains for Transpennine Express next year at its plant in Newton Aycliffe. However, these trains will now be built at Pistoia, Tuscany as the production line at Aycliffe will be full in 2019, the firm told The Northern Echo, stressing that this decision would not put North-East jobs at risk and has nothing to do with Brexit."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/bu...oduction_from_County_Durham__to_Italy/?ref=eb
Except that it is true that Newton Aycliffe is at capacity. Even the Nissan lay-offs (which are off-topic) aren't necessarily related to Brexit simply because Brexit is happening:- they may well be, but big multinationals have always sought to reduce headcount whenever they can, regardless of the political environment.

jimm

Established Member
As noted in post number 3, they have a kitchen, but it is smaller than on the GW 800s and GW 802s - with an extra bay of seating in the driving car where it is located - so just two windows blanked out, not three, as can be seen in the video.

Established Member
Except that it is true that Newton Aycliffe is at capacity. Even the Nissan lay-offs (which are off-topic) aren't necessarily related to Brexit simply because Brexit is happening:- they may well be, but big multinationals have always sought to reduce headcount whenever they can, regardless of the political environment.

Another example of the lack of joined up thinking in the rolling stock market though. Today we need to have the trains shipped over from Italy, in 5 years the Newton Aycliffe plant will probably close due to a lack of UK orders and, Brexit or no Brexit, no export potential.

transmanche

Established Member
Another example of the lack of joined up thinking in the rolling stock market though. Today we need to have the trains shipped over from Italy, in 5 years the Newton Aycliffe plant will probably close due to a lack of UK orders and, Brexit or no Brexit, no export potential.
As Rolling Stock Manufacturers have become more global, they (just like car manufacturers) will use a mix of factories in the best interests of their business.

There's no reason why the Newton Aycliffe plant can't build rolling stock for non-UK customers (even if it has to be transported by road/sea, rather than by rail). It all comes down to whether Hitachi's UK or Italian plant is more cost effective/cheaper to build them - and Brexit will play a huge part in determining that.

mpthomson

A number of car companies are laying off workers as diesel sales slump, on mainland Europe and in the U.K. it’s nothing to do with Brexit....

Boysteve

A number of car companies are laying off workers as diesel sales slump, on mainland Europe and in the U.K. it’s nothing to do with Brexit....

Exactly (apologies for going off topic). The Qashqai is a larger vehicle with a higher % of diesel sales. The smaller Nissan cars with a lower % of diesel cars are safe. It's just an issue that wherever the Qashqai happened to be built would suffer, Brexit is not a factor.

w1bbl3

As Rolling Stock Manufacturers have become more global, they (just like car manufacturers) will use a mix of factories in the best interests of their business.

There's no reason why the Newton Aycliffe plant can't build rolling stock for non-UK customers (even if it has to be transported by road/sea, rather than by rail). It all comes down to whether Hitachi's UK or Italian plant is more cost effective/cheaper to build them - and Brexit will play a huge part in determining that.

Both Newton Aycliffe and Pistoia are effectively intended to serve the European train market however Newton Aycliffe holds the disadvantage of being equipped to do less of the process than Pistoia by requiring fully assembled body shells to be delivered from Kasado which IMHO makes the factory really only suitable for domestic requirements unless Pistoia is at capacity and makes full export orders outside of Europe seem unlikely when Kasado has the a capability to deliver fully fitted complete train cars.

Had Hitachi not acquired AnsaldoBreda then I could have seen Newton Aycliffe gaining body shell assembly facilities in the long term and becoming a base for European train production. As it stands Hitachi probably need to secure HS2 or New Tube for London manufacture for the plant be viable into the late 2020's. I can't really see Brexit having much of an impact on the long term viability of the plant whilst it is not capable of doing everything.

Established Member
Both Newton Aycliffe and Pistoia are effectively intended to serve the European train market however Newton Aycliffe holds the disadvantage of being equipped to do less of the process than Pistoia by requiring fully assembled body shells to be delivered from Kasado which IMHO makes the factory really only suitable for domestic requirements unless Pistoia is at capacity and makes full export orders outside of Europe seem unlikely when Kasado has the a capability to deliver fully fitted complete train cars.

Had Hitachi not acquired AnsaldoBreda then I could have seen Newton Aycliffe gaining body shell assembly facilities in the long term and becoming a base for European train production. As it stands Hitachi probably need to secure HS2 or New Tube for London manufacture for the plant be viable into the late 2020's. I can't really see Brexit having much of an impact on the long term viability of the plant whilst it is not capable of doing everything.

Indeed its clearly only there for substancial domestic orders and as and when they run out it will be bye bye.

As for Brexit not being relevant to the Italy plant, potential Brexit could have had some influence on the decision to buy the plant.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Apparently Hitachi wanted AnsaldoBreda's signalling business, but got the train building business thrown in for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.