• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 1 Class 802/2 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

td97

Established Member
I believe one of the 802s is due an exam on its pantograph and as such, Hitachi have restricted it to operating diesel only until such exam has taken place.
As opposed to actually undertaking the exam when it is due, which is what a competent maintainer would do. It's hardly come as a surprise that after x miles the exam is now due. Doubly poor effort given that there are two pantographs available.
Sorry, I thought you said south of
Think you missed the "no" in my post

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Careful... I got chewed up and spat out the other week for having the audacity to suggest that many people wouldn't notice the difference between a 185 and a 350!

They aren't that different (doors at thirds, same seats though in a different layout) and so a good many people probably wouldn't. When I was a kid I never really noticed the difference between Mk2s and Mk3s, just that not all had the same seating layout.

I think laypeople may well notice the difference between a "big train" (5-car 80x do look quite long due to the 26m vehicles) and a little one, though...even more so a Mk5 "proper train with an engine on it".

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
There is apparently an issue with one of the pantographs on 802218 so is currently in service diesel only. 207 however is full bi-mode capable and does operate in electric mode on ECML and on the moss. While they are out they are gaining in service training and operational knowledge.

Railperf

Established Member
There is apparently an issue with one of the pantographs on 802218 so is currently in service diesel only. 207 however is full bi-mode capable and does operate in electric mode on ECML and on the moss. While they are out they are gaining in service training and operational knowledge.
That's not really an issue as the current diagrams don't require 124mph running - they are timed for 100mph. The 802's slower acceleration to 100mph compared to a Class 185 is offset by the fact that the 802s should be able to maintain at least 115mph on level track on the ECML - therefore potentially making up any lost time - providing all engines are running.

3973EXL

Established Member
5Q99 Doncaster - Reading
5X99 Reading - Eastleigh

E100

What’s the word on the ground about how the introductions are going so far? Seeing a fair few more heading home towards Edinburgh on training from NCL recently.

mikemcniven

I managed to get a ride on my first liveried 802 yesterday on the 1325 departure from Liverpool Lime Street, I had ridden on one of the unliveried ones a few weeks back but that was also after dark. The performance leaving Liverpool was amazing! Blink and your suddenly way further then you could image you should be!

TransPennine Express 802212
by Mike McNiven, on Flickr

Class455

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that all 19 TPE 802's should be in service for the December timetable change? Those Class 185's certainly won't be suited to working the Liverpool to Edinburgh services if not!

Also, how many units are still to go through Eastleigh? Would quite like to see one of TPE's 802's passing through London before I get to ride them in the north when I'm at uni but won't be back in London until the end of the month

Last edited:

E100

Does anyone know if they have resolved the issue preventing them from stopping at Chester-le-Street?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yes the 802s stop at Chester Le Street. 9M04 is a 802 daily and stops there. Very front and very rear doors do not operate but as one is the crew door anyway this shouldnt impact much on loading and dwell times.

td97

Established Member
802209's first day of service on diagram EC303. Wow what a nice train. Even if it does ride rough over the ECML. Light loading means there's a table bay for anyone who wants one. What a bliss ride on electric compared to the drone of diesel engines on 185s or 220/1s. Diesel mode is very noticable and doesn't sound highly refined or impress in terms of performance. Not bad when coasting though. Shame it doesn't depart York on electric southbound and change over 'on the fly'. At least the engines don't randomly rev at idle like the 185s. It's good that each seat pair has 2 3-pin sockets and a USB-A for charging.

Main gripes:
The table is too far away for ideal laptop work, my drink slides all over it, and the stupid lip nearest the window is basically wasted space.
Arm rests are too narrow
Whoever specified the toilet tap must have not done any real world testing, given that it splashes everything within a 50cm radius, user included.
No WiFi/seat reservations/PIS but these will be rolled out soon enough. Manual announcements are preferable to auto anyway.

Durham - Darlington reached 116mph.
Darlington - Northallerton reached 125mph.
Northallerton - York reached 125mph in 03:24.

E100

Yes the 802s stop at Chester Le Street. 9M04 is a 802 daily and stops there. Very front and very rear doors do not operate but as one is the crew door anyway this shouldnt impact much on loading and dwell times.
Ah, that's good to know. I just remembered they didn't when they first started and hadn't recalled anything since.

Mattrail12067

Does anyone know why TPE hasn't branded all of their Class 802's is it something to do with them wanting to get them into service as soon as possible?

DRG

802 now a regular occurrence on the 1625 Liverpool- Newcastle. I’ve ridden it twice this week. 802212 providing the power today.

Attachments

• 5AACBD78-3540-4348-82F1-73FD1C68FE3A.jpeg
    5AACBD78-3540-4348-82F1-73FD1C68FE3A.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 88

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why TPE hasn't branded all of their Class 802's is it something to do with them wanting to get them into service as soon as possible?

They appear to have to go to Eastleigh for vinyls. It probably just happens that some have been and others haven't taken their turn yet.

3973EXL

Established Member
5X53/5Q53 Eastleigh - Acton - Doncaster
Then 5Q54 1739 to Heaton
802217 802202
TPE livery

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They appear to have to go to Eastleigh for vinyls. It probably just happens that some have been and others haven't taken their turn yet.
Which is quite odd in itself. Does anyone know why Eastleigh TRMSD and Eastleigh Works between them appear to have been the location of choice for all this work for LNER and TPE, surely there are nearer “sheds” to their normal operating areas?

Class455

Established Member
5X53/5Q53 Eastleigh - Acton - Doncaster
Then 1739 to Heaton
8025217 802202
TPE livery
Hope there will be an Eastleigh move next week which I'll be able to see! Would love to see a TPE unit in London while they pass through en route

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Which is quite odd in itself. Does anyone know why Eastleigh TRMSD and Eastleigh Works between them appear to have been the location of choice for all this work for LNER and TPE, surely there are nearer “sheds” to their normal operating areas?
Presumably they put the most competitive quote in, which more than offset any additional cost in moving them there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably they put the most competitive quote in, which more than offset any additional cost in moving them there.
Perhaps they also just happened to have the continuous space to put a 9 car inside in warm dry conditions? But there also must be a division between what type of work is done in the two places, works and depot, and they’d normally be in competition with each other...

Crisps

On naked 802203 which has just left Newcastle. Reservations not working, (some seats have labels though) and a REALLY loud hum coming from the traction motors, but overall these are a HUGE upgrade over the 185s! Very lightly loaded too.

td97

Established Member
Reservations not working, (some seats have labels though) and a REALLY loud hum coming from the traction motors,
Electronic reservations, WiFi and destination displays are for now not working. Apparently by 15th December.
I too have noticed the traction motor whine. The guard seemed to think Hitachi were aware of it and working on a fix.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Traction motor hum from under the train isn't the issue. Taurus they ain't but the motors make a lovely sound I think anyway...
Its the high pitched electrical buzz that you can hear at one end of the traction oaches however is bloody awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.