• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova First

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Id say not valid on saturdays and sundays - its written like that as the week runs sunday to saturday

happy to be corrected if wrong

sonic2009

Established Member
I'd say it's possibly the weekend upgrade for when a customer is traveling in 1st Class on of the Nova sets

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This £10 first class single MAN to YRK ticket http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=YRK&dest=MAN&grpd=0438&rte=85&tkt=WDU has restrictions, but it is a bit ambiguous: is it only valid on Sundays but not Saturdays, or not valid on Sat and Sundays?
I can't find it on the TPE website at all.
The “not available on” part of the BRFares output is basically a 7 column table, with the days across running Su .... Sa. So it’s saying the fare (which looks the same price as the other available First upgrade) is only available on weekdays?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's effectively a weekday version of Weekend First, only available on the Nova trains, due to their increased 1st class capacity.

AndrewE

Established Member
Thanks for the answers. However if it is a supplement (rather than a ticket), how come the restrictions don't say "Valid only with a 2nd class ticket?"
Does "WDU" mean weekday upgrade then?

sheff1

Established Member
Id say not valid on saturdays and sundays - its written like that as the week runs sunday to saturday

happy to be corrected if wrong

I agree it is not valid on Saturday & Sunday. Strange that they should use a Sunday to Saturday week though, as the standard European railway abbreviations for days go from 1 (Monday) through to 7 (Sunday).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the answers. However if it is a supplement (rather than a ticket), how come the restrictions don't say "Valid only with a 2nd class ticket?"
Does "WDU" mean weekday upgrade then?
Presumably, because you can only buy it from the guard, they haven't bothered to advertise or upload more accurate information?

When I travelled on one of these sets, no announcement was made or notice placed on screens onboard or at stations about a special upgrade offer - but then, that is the norm for weekends too. I didn't bother to upgrade.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
... Strange that they should use a Sunday to Saturday week though....
In the raw electronic data, the field is "A set of 7 markers each set to ‘Y’ or ‘N’, representing the days of the week. The first character represents Monday", so it's a presentation choice by the BRfares website to show Sunday first.

My personal preference would be Monday first.

AndrewE

Established Member
Presumably, because you can only buy it from the guard, they haven't bothered to advertise or upload more accurate information?
When I travelled on one of these sets, no announcement was made or notice placed on screens onboard or at stations about a special upgrade offer - but then, that is the norm for weekends too. I didn't bother to upgrade.
So (as I imagine that these assumptions are probably correct) that's another restriction that is not shown then.
1 only valid as an upgrade to a second class ticket.
2 only purchasable from a guard (or a TPE booking office?)
Anyway, it seems it is not a bargain first-class ticket.

So (as I imagine that these assumptions are probably correct) that's another restriction that is not shown then.
1 only valid as an upgrade to a second class ticket.
2 only purchasable from a guard (or a TPE booking office?)
Anyway, it seems it is not a bargain first-class ticket.
Yes, lots of Weekend Firsts are in the fares system this way as well for convenience. As you say, the key 'unpublished' restriction is that this 'fare' is only valid with another one.

Ih8earlies

It is an upgrade from standard to first for use on the new Nova trains only. Only available monday to friday inclusive. Weekends still has Weekend First available instead.

It is a promotional upgrade that may be withdrawn at any time.

It is ONLY available onboard a Nova train. Subject to available capacity in first class.

Clip

Established Member
I agree it is not valid on Saturday & Sunday. Strange that they should use a Sunday to Saturday week though, as the standard European railway abbreviations for days go from 1 (Monday) through to 7 (Sunday).

True but i seem to remember my rosters when i first started on the railway as running sunday to saturday which i found strange at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.